Ruger .22/.22Mag sighting

This is a discussion on Ruger .22/.22Mag sighting within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Ruger 22/22mag convertible. I took it out today and found that when I shoot .22s in it, it shoots a bit high ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Ruger .22/.22Mag sighting

Ruger .22/.22Mag sighting

I have a Ruger 22/22mag convertible.

I took it out today and found that when I shoot .22s in it, it shoots a bit high and to the right.

When I switched cylinders and shot the .22 Mag it shot high and to the LEFT.

Anyone ever have this quandry?

Any feedback (Guesses included) would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

It does not make any sense to me. I don't think I have shot 1/2 a box of mags through mine. I got for cheap plinking and the mag rounds cost so much more that I just don't swap out the cylinders. Are the groups tight with both cylinders? If one cylinder causes shaving issues that could be the problem.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Are the groups tight with both cylinders? If one cylinder causes shaving issues that could be the problem.
    This is along the line of what I was thinking that one of the cylinders is seating differently but if both are shooting tight groups, then saving or improper cylinder seating/shaving the round probably isn't the issue. How far to the left or right are the groups? If it is only minor distances then I would say that it is the nature of the gun/and ammo. Since both are shooting high, that is an easy fix.

How far to the left or right?
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

O.K. Here ya go.......

IMG_1532.jpgIMG_1531.JPG

The first one (.22 Mag...5 shots) is high and to the right.

The second one is the .22 (Sorry, I got it wrong in my opening statement above) It's a little high and left of center.

Both shot two handed from about 30 feet (Yeah, I know, nothing to brag about.)LOL

Same guy (me) shooting, same stance, same distance, can't figure this one.

Thoughts?

Are you a lefty or a righty?

The .22 mag recoil, although far from stiff, is noticeably stiffer than that of the standard long rifle round. I assume you're talking about a Single-Six revolver? The plow-handle shape doesn't allow the real positive grip that full-size revolvers so, and the grips are smooth, so my guess is that your grip is shifting a bit due to the different recoil between the two ammo types.

A couple of other things I see are a slightly bigger group size with the mag loads, and I would also expect a bigger vertical change in point of impact with the mag (at least an inch and a half, depending on the specific loads you used). Both are easily attributable to the greater recoil.

I'd try the same comparison again, but shoot from a support of some sort... even a rolled up jacket on the hood of your car. That'll give you greater control over the experiment, and allow you to vary your grip to see how that changes things.
    DMan likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Great ideas, gasmitty. I will follow up on this.

Thanks

Links