Interested in getting more revolvers

This is a discussion on Interested in getting more revolvers within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I right now have a s&w 442 air weight but really like to have a gp 100 in the 3 and 4 inch. I know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Interested in getting more revolvers

I right now have a s&w 442 air weight but really like to have a gp 100 in the 3 and 4 inch. I know this Might not be the best question but does one think that is enough handguns for home defense and cc? I do like the glock 21 but prefer revolvers. Thanks.

VIP Member
    Yes a revolver is a fine choice for self defense, I often carry a Smith model 66.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

VIP Member
    Either one is sufficient for home defense.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Be very careful. Purchasing guns is a non-curable disease only prevented from being fatal by continuously repeating the process once you start. I've had it for years so it is controllable.
    shooterX likes this.

Yes. Consider yourself sufficiently armed with the two revolvers you mention. They are probably as much as you'll need but certainly not as many as I want.

This is the nicest gun I own, most accurate, most comfortable, sweetest trigger, funnest gun I'd let anyone shoot anytime. Everyone always smiles. I tried one at the range once too, and had to have it. Smith 686+ 6"barrel. Revolvers feel a hell of a lot more natural in your hand than holding a dozen plus rounds of whatever.

VIP Member
    First off, welcome to the forum.

As to your question, The GP is a good gun for home defense. Teamed with a good flashlight it makes for a great team. For a carry gun, I'd stick with the snubby. The size and weight of the GP , while not impossible, is not really conducive for conceal carry.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I carry my S&W Model 19 .357 2.5" every day. Had it for 25 years and can put 6 rounds in a six inch circle at 10 yards. Revolvers are very good weapons for home defense and CC. Get a good flashlight as well. Welcome to the forum.
    Retired Private Detective
    S&W Model 19 2.5" .357

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

I appreciate the feedback everyone. I am 6'3 and I have big hands so I love shooting Rugers and feel a gp or sp snub would conceal well. I fired the Gp in the six inch but sadly it was a bit muzzle heavy and not as comfortable or balanced as the four inch. I just love revolvers.

I don't know if I'd try a Ruger GP100 or the Ruger SP102 for home defense.

If you do decide to try such a weapon, send either to me for 1 year of free testing.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    The Ruger GP1000 and SP101 are 'tanks'...great weapons for SD/HD.
    shooterX and ccman like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Revolvers are fine weapons, plenty fine for cc and hd. My first HD weapon was a Ruger Police Service Six .357 4"bbl. I still have it and I'm sure it would still serve me well in any capacity. I don't CC in anymore just because I have options that are easier to carry and conceal.
    shooterX likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Revolvers are fine weapons, plenty fine for cc and hd. My first HD weapon was a Ruger Police Service Six .357 4"bbl. I still have it and I'm sure it would still serve me well in any capacity. I don't CC in anymore just because I have options that are easier to carry and conceal.
    like what may I ask?

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    This is the nicest gun I own, most accurate, most comfortable, sweetest trigger, funnest gun I'd let anyone shoot anytime. Everyone always smiles. I tried one at the range once too, and had to have it. Smith 686+ 6"barrel. Revolvers feel a hell of a lot more natural in your hand than holding a dozen plus rounds of whatever.

THAT is a pretty gun. Very similar to my stepfather's. His is a 4", and it is a dream to shoot. Nice, smooth, crisp DA trigger. And, SA is about 1.5#- nearly scared the mess out of me first time I shot it SA. A full-powered .357mag, heavy grain FMJ.

For what it's worth, Revolver086, I have an EAA Windicator in .357, and it's sweet. 2", full 6 shots, and I can drop it in a pocket of a pair of Dickies work pants and nobody would ever know the difference. Also, I picked it up brand new for $300 after tax. Put 1K rounds through it, and it's still perfect.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Pick the gun you feel the most comfortable with and get some training. Deploying a weapon in an SD/HD scenario is less about caliber and more about training. Once you've decided on a gun you like (GP100, G21, etc.), get yourself to a combat pistol training class. The classes I've been to only allowed semi-autos, but Ohio may be different. Train, train, train. Then train so more. Become proficient with your firearm.

VIP Member
    Yes you will be well served by the Ruger you mention.

We have 4 revolvers in the house/family.
    A 442, a Ruger single six convertible .22/.22wmr, a Taurus 85 snub. and my favorite wheelie of all time, my Dan Wesson 15-2VH 6in.
    Attached Images
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links