Glock 17 vs 19 recoil

This is a discussion on Glock 17 vs 19 recoil within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I once shot a 19 and the recoil was a bit much but the 21 was smooth like butter. Would I perhaps like a 17? ...

Thread: Glock 17 vs 19 recoil

Glock 17 vs 19 recoil

I once shot a 19 and the recoil was a bit much but the 21 was smooth like butter. Would I perhaps like a 17? I am still tempted of renting one out and see what happens I was just curious.

2. Remove Ads

In my experience the recoil between the 17 and the 19 is negligible. That being said and I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but were you shooting the 19 with really hot loads or something? 9mm recoil (especially in a gun the size of a G19) is generally considered pretty tame and I am a self proclaimed recoil sissy.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Hm. Maybe with the subsonic .45 there was more of a push then snap?

Recoil is hard to compare person to person. I had a 19 and the recoil seemed very controllable, I would assume a 17 would be even nicer.

Maybe try some 147 grain standard pressure loads out of the 19 and see how you like it first, it's rumored to be less recoil.

I can't tell the difference between a 115gr. and a 124gr +P out of my CM9? They both kinda suck so I'm going to give the 147's a shot.

Recoil from a G19 is really not that bad for experienced shooters. I have a G19 and G17. All Glocks are lighter weight guns (or any other polymer frame gun). If you can't get used to it or just starting shooting, then get an alloy or steel frame handgun for more weight. Weight is the most effective way to dampen recoil. A G17 is slightly better but it is a larger gun to conceal if for carry use. Only weighs 2oz more than a G19. Carrying a G19 for an entire day is comfortable and convenient to conceal. I now carry a G32 in .357Sig that only weighs about 1oz more than a G19.

Can try a Sig P229 to compare. The alloy model weighs around 10oz more than a G17. Sig has a stainless steel model that weighs about 18oz more than a G17. With that weight in a 9mm, recoil will be at a minimum. Sigs are pricey.

They were just regular bullets. Some say the bullet speed could have caused it because a 45 is a slower shell.

Instead of spending your money on a gun rental spend it on a gym membership and toughen up; Learn to manage recoil

What you're feeling is the muzzle climb and snap of what was likely a pretty hot 9mm. A 45 will generally feel less snappy, though it technically has more recoil. You might want to look at the M&P. Also, I can almost guarantee that if you shot 9mm for a year then shot the 21, you'd say "Man, these 45's kick!".

You won't see much difference, if any, between the 17 and 19, but this could also be in part to your grip. Get up very high on the backstrap, wrap your support hand tight, gets your thumbs forward if you do not already and focus on your hits, not the feel of the gun. You'll get used to it.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Instead of spending your money on a gun rental spend it on a gym membership and toughen up; Learn to manage recoil
    dude I am in good shape just learning I guess the 45 felt great. I just did not react well to the 9 but I digress .

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    In my experience the recoil between the 17 and the 19 is negligible. That being said and I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but were you shooting the 19 with really hot loads or something? 9mm recoil (especially in a gun the size of a G19) is generally considered pretty tame and I am a self proclaimed recoil sissy.
    .................................................. .^^^^^^^^^^

.................................................. ..What he said.

Links