Which 9mm?

This is a discussion on Which 9mm? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking for a range gun just to burn some ammo up with and have come down to these three. Let me tell you a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Which 9mm?

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar

Which 9mm?

I'm looking for a range gun just to burn some ammo up with and have come down to these three. Let me tell you a bit of what I know of each one and how they feel to me. Then i'll let ya'll jump in and give some advice and maybe point out some things I may have missed that may help me decide.

Glock 19 = My friend has one and I shoot it every know and then and tend to do fairly well with it. The only thing with the Glock is that it feels fat in my hand and I find myself having to grip or regrip to get it to feel just right. As far as the gun running and being reliable he has never had a problem with it as far as I know. I think they have been around for something like 25yrs or so and I know a lot of PD's and other departments use them as well, also I know a lot of your every day joes have them as well and tend to like them. So to me that says something for the Glocks.

XDM 9 (3.8") I know SA has been around for quite awhile and make a good gun as well. I actually had the chance to rent one and shoot it at the range. It feels better in my hand than the Glock and I shot it just a tad better. I'm not sure about the grip safety on it though, not sure what it is it just felt weird. I guess that would be something I would just have to get used to. As far as I know they run good and I havent heard to may complaints about them.

FNX 9 = This one feels the best in my hand and for some reason it feels the lightest of all three. It may just be the balance of the gun for me. As far as the FNX goes i'm pretty much in the dark about them. No one I know has one, and I can't find one to rent to try it out. All I know is they used to only supply firearms to the military untill maybe 15yrs ago or so. Any input on the FN would be great.

I'm not worried about the price because they are only seperated by about $60.00 or $70.00. Now that figures in for the 3rd mag for Glock and SA because the FNX comes with three mags. I am just looking for good, honest thoughts on these guns and why you would or wouldn't buy one. Thanks for your time.

2. Remove Ads

Have you tried a gen 4 G19 with adjustable backstraps?
    glock42, Walden and marcclarke like this.

YOU have to decide which one you like the best.
    Would you ask anyone about what kind of shoes you should buy?

I will only add that the grip of the Glock will feel thick at first, but that feeling will soon disappear...I felt the same way, but now I have 5 Glocks (sold my three Kimbers).OMO
    barstoolguru likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I hate to say it, but if not the Springfield, go for the Glock. It's ugly, but it's one of the best guns you can get for that kind of money. Wonderful reliability, easy to transition to a SD gun if you so desire later, and easy to find a holster for because- like you said- everybody and their mother has one.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Tough call on this one. All three are great guns. I have the XD and really like it. I also have an FN but in 45. Another high quality pistol. I owned a Glock 9mm as well. Liked it but sold it. Nonbigbreason just did The key is you have to hold and shoot each one. Then YOU need to make a call. AS Retsupt99 says you just can't ask a bunch of gun folks to decide for you. We will all have opinions but cant make a gun fit just right for you.

Know this, I can't see how you could go wrong with any of the three. They all make a dependable gun and each will stand behind them. Hold them at LGS and go with the one you love.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

My 1st choice would be Glock 19, and 2nd would be the FNX-9. Not a fan if the XD's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog44 View Post
    Tough call on this one. All three are great guns. I have the XD and really like it. I also have an FN but in 45. Another high quality pistol. I owned a Glock 9mm as well. Liked it but sold it. Nonbigbreason just did The key is you have to hold and shoot each one. Then YOU need to make a call. AS Retsupt99 says you just can't ask a bunch of gun folks to decide for you. We will all have opinions but cant make a gun fit just right for you.

Know this, I can't see how you could go wrong with any of the three. They all make a dependable gun and each will stand behind them. Hold them at LGS and go with the one you love.
    I agree try them all and see which one fits your hand and you like the best.

VIP Member
    Just curious, have you looked at the CZ75? Granted it is a steel frame gun, so will weigh a little more. Another alternative is the CZ P-07, which is a polymer frame gun. Either will run you under $600.00 and that is with another magazine.
    gasmitty and aznav like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I am partial to Glocks myself but the FN is a FINE handgun. When I was in the market for a nightstand/shtf pistol I looked seriously at the FNP9. I don't dislike XD's but they don't particularity "do anything" for me either.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

After reading and shoping and reading and shopping, I went with the SA XDm 9mm Compact 3.8. It just felt way better in my hand than the Glock (any model) or any of the other pistols I looked at. It is the right size for carry and feels good. What's not to like? :)
    Cheers!

Joe
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

Another pistol you may want to consider is the Walther PPQ. Itís about at the same price point, the ergonomics are great, and the trigger is superb for a polymer gun.

Hereís a couple reviews:

Walther PPQ 9mm Review - YouTube

Walther PPQ - YouTube

Walther PPQ - First Edition - YouTube

It is slightly larger and heavier than a G19. I was so impressed with mine after putting 1400 rounds through it, I bought a second.

The only drawbacks Iíve seen are:
    Mag prices $45-50, but you can use Magnum Research Mags at $30
    Bore axis is slightly high, resulting in a little more muzzle flip than a G19. Not uncontrollable by any means but its there.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Another vote for the CZ75, echoing archer51's post. It's a classic service pistol, accurate, high-capacity, with a decent trigger right out of the box. You can get a decocker model, or the 75B (my preference) which allows you to carry it cocked and locked (SA) or hammer down with a DA pull. I find the trigger more to my liking than the Glock, and the grip is far less 'blocky' than the Glock's. Actually, it's surprising slim for a double-stack. If it's just a range gun for you, you'll appreciate the full-length slide and sight radius.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

didn't you just ask this same question in another thread yesterday? "Which 9mm?"
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Thanks for the suggestions folks. I went today and handled some more guns to see what I like. Who thought a range gun would be hard to decide on. I checked out the 92FS today and man did it feel good in the hand. I just can't justify the price of it though for a dedicated range gun. Also looked at the Sig Pro 2022 as well and it was a lot cheaper and not bad in the hand. Gonna try to get out and check all three local shops this weekend and then decide. If mony wasn't a factor i'd go for the HK P30 but at $850.00 it ain't gonnd happen.

you limit yourself when there are so many guns to choose from

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links