Addicted to firearms.

Addicted to firearms.

This is a discussion on Addicted to firearms. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I work for myself (graphic designer) I am super busy. I just can not seem to stop thinking about guns long enough to get any ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Addicted to firearms.

Lightbulb Addicted to firearms.

I work for myself (graphic designer) I am super busy. I just can not seem to stop thinking about guns long enough to get any work done. I have always liked firearms. I had a shotgun and an m1 garand, but not obsessed. now that I have my handgun I am a complete addict.

Pickingout my first handgun was the hardest thing ever now that I have it I want more/different/better....

What to do.

If anyone wants to contribute to my madness buy some decals... I promiss I want a P229 SAS with those sexy wood grips...

JD
    Administrator
    First off, don't feel bad, your not the only one with this affliction.
    I never noticed it but my wife sure did (SURPRISE SURPRISE) but every two months like clockwork I'm coming home with something new and something is missing from my current collection. Sometimes I just come home with something new...like my Colt Series 70.

Step 1: to part of this is only buy what you would refuse to trade (not an easy thing to do but possible)
    Step 2: Once you've hit your current llimits, stop looking
    (Also not easy to do IE: It was my first time on the Forum and I wasn't looking for a new pistol but
    *****FS Kimber CDP Pro LNIB***** just took my breath away.
    Step 3: Start a "Gun Fund" and try not to buy early

Step 4: In conjunction with step 1, buy what you really really want, stay away from the flings and go for the long time love...yeah like that will work.

Step 5: Admitting that you need help is a bad idea, then the people that you ask for help will offer to "Buy" your current collection pieces to "help" you out with financing the new buy...BTW how much would you like for the Garrand?

Step 6: If you haven't figured it out by now your screwed and might as well accept it like I, and many other members have done.

Just make sure that you don't impede on your current lifestyle buy making too many purchases, if your keeping the bills paid and are making your financial goals, have at it!

Please note this affliction is so serious we can't even get to "12 Steps"

I must confess, I too have this terrible addiction.
    I started as just an innocent child taking out my BB gun to bust a few bottles and roll a few cans.
    As most things go that was the start of a long downhill road.

You know the story..read about it hundreds if not thousands of times..the BB gun led to the pellet gun but that didn't last long either.
    I had to have more power, a .22. I didn't care if it was a rifle. pistol or revolver I just HAD to have it. Then came the .38s, the .357s, and finally the .45.

They have me firmly in there diabolical grasp.

Sure I tried fighting it...stopped going to gun shows or the local gun shop but they are everywhere.

I guess I have little hope....I am fighting it but a friend has an XD he just bought...a few rounds won't hurt...will they?
    Be Safe and Careful,
    Corbett

Mountaineers Are Always Free

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by WVCCW View Post
    ...a few rounds won't hurt...will they?
    Only hurts the target And eventually the bank account...

Join a combat-arms MOS in one of the Armed Forces or become a LEO; that's what I did/am doing.

Lew
    Wish I had done that while I was in... oh well. I looked into going into gunsmithing, but formal training seems to be rare.

If your significant other disapproves of your new additions, just remember what a friend told me, at some point you will have so many that she will not be able to tell if it is new or not, but if she does know when she shouldn't, it means you now have to share... hhehehe.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

I Missed Your Point...

You say that you're ADDICTED TO FIREARMS...so, what exactly is the problem? I'm stumped...
    You say that you want...MORE/DIFFERENT/BETTER...again...exactly what is the problem...you've lost me!

I need to reread your post because I must be missing something...I don't see a problem.

Best regards...stay safe!

ret
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; November 15th, 2006 at 07:24 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    You say that you're ADDICTED TO FIREARMS...so, what exactly is the problem? I'm stumped...
    You say that you want...MORE/DIFFERENT/BETTER...again...exactly what is the problem...you've lost me!

I need to reread your post because I must be missing something...I don't see a problem.

Best regards...stay safe!

ret
    Right, haha. I get it, I love guns! guns are sweet.

I just cant get any work done. To much web surfing knowledge gathering....

Problem? what Problem?
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

My sickness started with my first pistol also. I had a shotgun and was/is into hunting, but there is something about that pistol (for me XD9) that led to my affliction. I now have three XD's and two Mossbergs and am saving for an AR-something. I have a fever and the only cure is more cowbell- ERR, I mean more firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by PackerfanXD View Post
    My sickness started with my first pistol also. I had a shotgun and was/is into hunting, but there is something about that pistol (for me XD9) that led to my affliction. I now have three XD's and two Mossbergs and am saving for an AR-something. I have a fever and the only cure is more cowbell- ERR, I mean more firearms.
    I think it is because that pistol is so personal to you, I have it on me all the time. Unlike the rifle and shotty. Every place my wallet and phone go, so does the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Helpless View Post
    I think it is because that pistol is so personal to you, I have it on me all the time. Unlike the rifle and shotty. Every place my wallet and phone go, so does the firearm.
    Like the old AmExp commercials...'never leave home without it.'

I don't think there is anyone on this forum who doesn't have the same disease. We all love it too. Embrace it; make it your friend. Buy one of everything, and then start on getting all of the variations. I've never even thought about a cure, and I'm not about to now!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

JD
    Administrator
    Well I jsut came back from the Gun Shop minus 1 Para CCW and + 1 Kimber Compact CDP(series 1 )

I now think I'm at the point that I don't have anything I'm willing to trade

This means my next fix will be a ways off

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

It's Time to Face Facts, My Friend

At some point I think we all have to just face certain facts about our lives.

I came to terms a long time ago with the fact that I was not going to play major league baseball (that ugly realization began to set in when I was cut from the J.V.). Ditto with playing in the NFL, but it looked for a while I might at least get in some college playing time. My first marriage wasn't going to work out (for reasons that are mostly irrelevant here).

All facts. Not good, necessarily, but not necessarily bad, either. Just the way things were. Sources of great anguish at the time, some of them.

Now I have to face the fact that I am, like you sound you might be, a gun nut.

I have 12 Mosin-Nagants and roughly 11,000 rounds of ammunition for them in the back room of my house.

And two months ago, instead of deciding between which of the two pistols (Springfield XD45 and Kahr P45) I was considering, I just up and bought both. My (current) wife, whom I cherish for all sorts of reasons, just doesn't seem to care, either.

I had no reason to buy the guns. Up to now I have at least been minimally able to rationalize gun purchases. "Need one for this" "Need one for that".
    Example: I recently "needed" for "truck guns"- a 10mm Witness and another Mosin. Witness because 10mm rounds have good barrier penetration records, and I might not be able to whip out my carry piece from its IWB or Smart Carry in time- it's a .45, and they don't have quite as stellar a record on barrier penetration. The Mosin 'cause if you can get to rifle in a gun fight, by all means you should. Both cheap, too. Not out a lot if the Toyota Power Machine falls into a sinkhole or something.

No more of that kind of shullbit rationalizing. Already had a carry piece (the Kahr P45 was being considered as a "really light, thin, easy to conceal carry piece"). Like I "needed" one of those in addition to my S&W 1911 sc (with its Wilson Combat Slim Line grips) because the Kahr was just a little lighter and smaller.

Already had a nightstand piece (the XD45 was under consideration as a high cap, tac light mountable nightstand gun). Held more rounds than my Sig GSR which rested by the bed, tac light installed. (along with some aftermarket grips to accommodate my girly-sized hands).

The rationalizing is just rationalizing.

I just liked the freakin' guns and wanted them. I acknowledge it. I admit it. Is this "rock bottom"?

Am I at the first step?

If so, I hope it is NOT the first step to "recovery".....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links