NYPD: 84 rounds, 14 hits - Page 4

NYPD: 84 rounds, 14 hits

This is a discussion on NYPD: 84 rounds, 14 hits within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No wonder Mr. Mayor is so anti gun, his own force can't hit the side of a barn....

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: NYPD: 84 rounds, 14 hits

No wonder Mr. Mayor is so anti gun, his own force can't hit the side of a barn.
    juliandelph likes this.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

^either that or he want's to keep expenses down^
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

I didn't read the whole thread, but I'll say this...

your accuracy suffers about 80% when the target is shooting back. or moving...

been there done that. just saying :)

Quote Originally Posted by Mudgen View Post
    These two reloaded twice, and managed only a 22% hit rate. They might need a little more range time.

Cops fire 84 bullets at armed man, hit him 14 times - NYPOST.com
    Only problem with your thought is they were under fire shooting handguns at a moving target from 21 yards. I doubt most of us could do better with bullets heading the other way with a moving target.

Too bad they did not have a rifle or shotgun. It would have ended in 1 to 5 rounds with less lead flying all over the place.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    To their ( the officers) defense, if they were to make good solid hits on the perp, their "Boss" might put them under investigation for being "gun nuts".
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    I didn't read the whole thread, but I'll say this...

your accuracy suffers about 80% when the target is shooting back. or moving...

been there done that. just saying :)
    Yeah, it was a knee jerk post from something a friend sent. And I didn't even check the percentage in his message.

At 70 ft, I'd rather have a rifle with 22LR hollowpoints than a Glock .40 or whatever they carry for sidearms on the NYPD. Wouldn't be my weapon of choice, but better than the handgun in that situation.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Mudgen View Post
    Yeah, it was a knee jerk post from something a friend sent. And I didn't even check the percentage in his message.

At 70 ft, I'd rather have a rifle with 22LR hollowpoints than a Glock .40 or whatever they carry for sidearms on the NYPD. Wouldn't be my weapon of choice, but better than the handgun in that situation.
    indeed. also goes to show how caliber doesn't matter, but placement does. guess they missed the CNS and head :)

Imagine how different the story would have been if they'd had six-shooters!
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

Makes you wonder... I'm willing the bet one of the reasons carbines aren't issued to standard NYPD patrolman is for the fear of collateral damage. However, its pretty obvious that, at least in theory, a carbine in the hands of either of these officers would (should) have limited the amount of rounds sent down range and the time the perp spent mobile. Guess it depends on what you consider more dangerous; 7 or 8 stray rifle rounds or 60+ handgun rounds... though 7 or 8 may be optimistic for this specific pair.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    and your experience is???? what facts do you have to base your comment on?
    have you ever been to NYC? how many cops in the NYPD do you know?
    I bet things aren't too much different at the Chicago PD, most big departments are weak on the training for the average street cop.

OK... so I've known a few NY Cops... And I have spent some time in New York. Have you?

The shot about NY cops being short on brains is a bit unfair and possibly somewhat biased. In fact for many years a college education or a military enlistment has been required for appointment to the department.
    As I've said in other threads firearms, and shooting is probably the least used skill during an officers career. In fact most officers retire without ever having to fire their firearm outside the range. However it is the one skill they have to get right every single time.
    Police officers everywhere are trained to be proficient with their firearms. Not to be gunslingers. The NYPD has a dedicated staff, and material to train it's members, and the members of other departments. There are two qualifying cycles. Both incluse some practice, and some classroom training on tactics, and review of past shootings. The outdoor cycle includes more material and practice. Also during the year there are in service classroom sesions. Often they include tactical material.

Again the goal is to make evey officer proficient... not perfect. These officers involved with this particular shooting were likely using a Glock 19, a S&W DAO pistol, or a Sig DAO auto pistol. Probably shooting 9MM gold dot +P. IMO They did as they were trained. Returned fire until the threat was down... Much like may members here describe as shooting him to the ground. Keeping in mind they had been shot at, and the perp was moving...I cant find too much fault with them. As far as the hit ratio.... We dont know by how much they missed. I didnt read anything about stray rounds breaking windows, or hitting susie sweetcheeks on her way to deliver warm bread to the homeless. I'd assume that what ever cover the perp was using was pretty much well punctured.

There have been some horror stories about NYPD officers and obviously bad shootings. I dont think this is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    To their ( the officers) defense, if they were to make good solid hits on the perp, their "Boss" might put them under investigation for being "gun nuts".
    One of those statements that makes ya laugh cause its so funny. Them makes you want to cry cause its probably true.

Michael

So I take it the two the chest one to the head thing did not work out of them .
    Gun fights just do not follow the script. Some times rounds are just to make some one stay put if you can't hit them.
    Secret Spuk likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    there was no stray damage cause the BG was in a recessed door way. that happened in one event, im not sure it was this one.
    it was like shooting fish in a barrel and they failed horribly.

if one is going to carry a gun, badge or not, one needs to profecient with it.
    excuses are not a valid in any way.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Imagine how different the story would have been if they'd had six-shooters!
    Most probably would have been similar... with a lower round count.

Quote Originally Posted by Risky View Post
    Makes you wonder... I'm willing the bet one of the reasons carbines aren't issued to standard NYPD patrolman is for the fear of collateral damage. However, its pretty obvious that, at least in theory, a carbine in the hands of either of these officers would (should) have limited the amount of rounds sent down range and the time the perp spent mobile. Guess it depends on what you consider more dangerous; 7 or 8 stray rifle rounds or 60+ handgun rounds... though 7 or 8 may be optimistic for this specific pair.

OK so carbines are issued as standard equipment to some details, and assignments. M-4's to be exact. Unless you've been to NYC or Chicago, or some other big city it may be hard to understand the problem of issuing rifles to patrol. First off much patrol is done on foot by patrol posts. Mostly though there is the problems of overpenitration, and deflection. When the need arise there are shotguns, and M-4's in abundance. It's a very dense place with a whole lot of people... everywhere.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links