NYPD: 84 rounds, 14 hits

This is a discussion on NYPD: 84 rounds, 14 hits within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; These two reloaded twice, and managed only a 22% hit rate. They might need a little more range time. Cops fire 84 bullets at armed ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: NYPD: 84 rounds, 14 hits

NYPD: 84 rounds, 14 hits

These two reloaded twice, and managed only a 22% hit rate. They might need a little more range time.

Cops fire 84 bullets at armed man, hit him 14 times - NYPOST.com
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

2. Remove Ads

This should also show you guys that handgun bullets are not always that effective. But in defense of the NYPD he might not have stood still. Haah Hah

Wow! That's 70 rounds that could have killed or injured an innocent person!
    RoadKill likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

He was hit 14 times and was still moving and holding his .22 when he went down, what caliber and brand of ammo are NYPD using?

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    The instructor at the last training class I attended said that on average, 89% of people shot with a handgun survive. I would hazard to guess that a majority of those were shot once, maybe twice. Being this guy was in the city, relatively close to a rescue squad contributed to his survival, and by all the misses, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess a lot of the hits were "flesh" wounds as hollywierd would call them.

It was interesting though, the survival average was exactly opposite when a shotgun was involved.
    Last edited by 4my sons; April 25th, 2012 at 09:06 AM. Reason: clarification
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Everyone seems to think their gunfight is going to go just like it does on the range, punching paper targets where they can't miss.
    RAMIfied, Rollo, sgb and 5 others like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Just remember that when you're on the range shooting paper at 25 yards (roughly the range of this shoot), that it might be a whole lot different if the target is armed, moving, and/or in cover.

Wow - 14 hits and he's still alive. Wonder where the hits were, and does anyone know what load NYPD carries?
    Rollo likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rickohio View Post
    He was hit 14 times and was still moving and holding his .22 when he went down, what caliber and brand of ammo are NYPD using?
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Wow - 14 hits and he's still alive. Wonder where the hits were, and does anyone know what load NYPD carries?
    Speer Gold Dot 124+p

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Just remember that when you're on the range shooting paper at 25 yards (roughly the range of this shoot), that it might be a whole lot different if the target is armed, moving, and/or in cover.
    And you are trying to take cover and shoot around it or on the move as well.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Everyone seems to think their gunfight is going to go just like it does on the range, punching paper targets where they can't miss.
    I agree, but IMO this is a training issue. 70 stray bullets is A LOT of lead to be flying through a neighborhood! Don't they have an AR or shotgun in the cruiser? A 25 yard shot, while difficult at 25 yards in a combat situation, is much more manageable with a long gun.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Don't they have an AR or shotgun in the cruiser?
    AFAIK, not in regular patrol cars, only ESU and a few other specialized units are trained with long guns.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I agree, but IMO this is a training issue. 70 stray bullets is A LOT of lead to be flying through a neighborhood! Don't they have an AR or shotgun in the cruiser? A 25 yard shot, while difficult at 25 yards in a combat situation, is much more manageable with a long gun.
    Don't forget that many of those rounds may have been fired to gain fire superiority.
    CanuckQue likes this.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Ever heard the term spray and pray?
    NYPD street cops are not known for their marksmanship. a 70 foot shot is hard one with a 3.5-4 inch barreled hand gun.
    regular patrol cops are not issued anything but their 9mm hand guns.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; April 29th, 2012 at 10:55 PM.

Strange, I am sitting on an armchair and combat seems so easy here.

On the other hand, try to understand that some people get nervous when they are in a life and death struggle.

Gun fights are sort of line landing a airplane; it is a success when you walk away alive.
    beararms and Secret Spuk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
    Gun fights are sort of line landing a airplane; it is a success when you walk away alive.
    ... bonus on both the fight and the landing if you don't kill anyone that doesn't need killing.
    Badey and paaiyan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
    Strange, I am sitting on an armchair and combat seems so easy here.

On the other hand, try to understand that some people get nervous when they are in a life and death struggle.

How many crimes do you think you or I would be charged with if we were in a gunfight with one person and fired 42 rounds, 7 of which hit the target??
    beararms likes this.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links