License Needed to Rent?

License Needed to Rent?

This is a discussion on License Needed to Rent? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I teach CCW classes, and am putting together some more advanced courses. My question is, should a student not have a firearm, could I rent ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By archer51

Thread: License Needed to Rent?

License Needed to Rent?

I teach CCW classes, and am putting together some more advanced courses. My question is, should a student not have a firearm, could I rent one of mine, or is there a license required? Also, can I resell ammunition for those that are renting my guns, as I don't want steel cased or other garbage ammo?

I couldn't find any sourced answers on The Google, so any direction would be appreciated.
    USMC Sergeant
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Utah BCI Certified Instructor
    Utah Self Defense Instruction- Utah CCW, Discount NRA memberships/renewals
    Gun Blog,CCW News and Reviews

Are you going to charge them a rental fee, or is it included in the course cost?

Are you going to re-sell the ammo for your cost, or add to the cost of it?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I don't know about Utah, but in Va. you would need to collect sales tax in order to do that legitimately. Become a retailer.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    I wouldn't do it, just from the liability standpoint. If someone is injured and it is with a gun you own, some bottom feeding lawyer will talk the family into suing you. Same with ammo, you sold it, they'll hold you responsible. In most cases, just because you had the individual sign a waiver, is not going to cover you.

I also have to wonder about someone taking advanced courses, yet don't own a gun. They need to cover the basics before moving on to the advanced. Would you take an advanced defensive driving course without owning a car?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Just state it as part of the course requirements....X type ammo only and appropriate gun.

"[I also have to wonder about someone taking advanced courses, yet don't own a gun. They need to cover the basics before moving on to the advanced. Would you take an advanced defensive driving course without owning a car?]"

^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    You don't need an FFL to sell ammo. As for renting out guns, I'm going to guess that you don't need one either... But that's all it is, is a guess based on what I think I remember.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Renting out your guns for advanced training? Why not get some air softs and have at it?
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

From my understanding you cannot rent weapons without an FFL.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    This from an employee of a local range: "They said that we could rent guns until we got our FFL, but they could only be the personal guns of the owner."

I stand corrected.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I should have clarified, I am going to be adding several courses in addition to the CCW courses I currently teach. I meant advanced in the context of more advanced that basic marksmanship safety course or basic CCW course. This would be a course around the AR-15, and I don't want to limit my market to those who own one. They may own other guns and may be experienced with other guns, but that doesn't mean they are experienced with that type of shooting. And I won't be allowing people into the a "advanced class" until they have some basic skills. In any case, I am concerned with the legality.

I am a retailer as well, so I can resell, but I just haven't been able to find any sourced information on reselling ammunition and renting guns specifically. I realize there are liability issues, and I understand the limitations of waivers. I am concerned with whether or not there is a license required to do this beyond a business license and sales tax license.
    USMC Sergeant
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Utah BCI Certified Instructor
    Utah Self Defense Instruction- Utah CCW, Discount NRA memberships/renewals
    Gun Blog,CCW News and Reviews

do what the bikers at the clubs do when they don't have a licenses to sell beer or liquor...they can use it for free but a donation is strongly recommended and include the ammo. This way you are not renting it or selling ammo and yes I would get the DL info just for security purposes

Sponsored Links