Range Report - Browning Buckmark With Red Dot Sight

This is a discussion on Range Report - Browning Buckmark With Red Dot Sight within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Before today, I had had virtually no experience with optically sighted handguns. In the seventies, I had a Thompson Contender with a 2X scope on ...

Thread: Range Report - Browning Buckmark With Red Dot Sight

1943 - 2009

Range Report - Browning Buckmark With Red Dot Sight

Before today, I had had virtually no experience with optically sighted handguns. In the seventies, I had a Thompson Contender with a 2X scope on it, but I never could quite get the hang of it and pretty much gave up on the idea until recently, when I decided to try again, but with a non-magnifying red dot sight for my (our) Browning Buckmark Camper.

I settled on a Bushnell Sportsman red dot, mounted on the pistol with a Weigand one piece base. The sight comes with its own rings.

Here's the pistol with the sight mounted.

So it was off to the range today. The red dot has 11 brightness settings. I found that the lower settings, 3 to 5, were best in bright sunlight through the polarizing lens. Windage & elevation adjustments were positive. The manual says each click of W&E moves the POI 1/4 inch at 25 yards. I found this to be accurate, with very minor adjustments needed to get centered groups. I was very pleasantly surprised about how user friendly a red dot sight is.

Here's my best 10 shot 25 yard group, 1 and 3/4 inch spread CtoC, with Remington Thunderbolt .22 LR standard velocity ammo.

I still need to do more experimentation with different brands of ammo. One drawback to this set-up is that I will have to remove the sight and mount in order to field strip the pistol. Then of course it will have to be re-zeroed. Not a big problem. The Buckmark can be adequately cleaned without a full tear-down.

BTW, my wife really likes this set-up. After all, it's her pistol.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

2. Remove Ads

I've got a buckmark as well, sans optics... always been very happy with it. Great shooting pistol. I like the plain iron sights just fine, but yours still looks good with the tube on top :)

Winchester SuperX shoots best in mine, but for some reason, it's becoming hard to find around here.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Assistant Administrator
    Terry - good combo there - very much same as a shooting buddy I shoot pins with has. He likes it a lot and now has many 1,000's of rounds thru it.

I do think red dots greatly extend the usefulness and fun factor with semi .22's.

I use a 22/45 with a dot on and that gun runs great on Fed ''Champion'' ammo - which is generally about $10 a brick and so not too much more than the Fed bulk box stuff. I do find a need to keep crud cleared out from areas around breech face or eventually rounds will not quite go into battery - plus ensuring slide is sufficiently clean and free, and lubed.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I just picked up a Beretta NEO and put a red dot on it.
    Usually I shoot open sights.
    This is just too easy. Put the dot on the bull and just stoke the trigger.
    It won't miss.
    Mrs. Shooter loves it.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Lead Moderator
    Very nice. I have a Buckmark with a Pro point dot similar to yours. I added a 1 pc. scope ring and mounted the optic as far forward as possible. I feel it improves the balance of the gun and makes it easier to shoot. (sorry no pics)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links