Stop looking when you find something that works? Or try something new?

This is a discussion on Stop looking when you find something that works? Or try something new? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been giving some thought to the idea of how we decide our "kit" is good enough. I have the type of job where I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop looking when you find something that works? Or try something new?

Stop looking when you find something that works? Or try something new?

I've been giving some thought to the idea of how we decide our "kit" is good enough. I have the type of job where I spend a lot of time not actually working because I don't do anything until something breaks. Because of this I spend a lot of time reading forums and articles. I have a collection of links in my bookmarks folders to TONS of stuff that I thought to myself "Id like to try that" or "That looks pretty cool" Some items are kind of out there but others are EDC items. For example, holsters. Two holsters have caught my attention recently.

Slim IWB Holster EC Mikes Special
    And
    Tuckable Kydex and Leather Holsters: Silent Thunder Fusion Model | Garrett Holsters

Both look pretty cool. The problem? There's nothing wrong with my current holster. I have no complaints. Could one of these other holsters be better (IE more comfortable, better concealment, etc)? Quite possibly. Or they could be worse. So I guess my question is this. When you find something that works do you just stick with it or are you always evaluating other options?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

When you find something that works do you just stick with it or are you always evaluating other options?
    Lots of things work. Only need to keep looking is to find what works best. Trouble is that you might drive yourself mad doing that, leading most of us to accept 'Good Enough'.

Michael

So I guess my question is this. When you find something that works do you just stick with it or are you always evaluating other options?
    I would be the wrong person to ask. Throughout the years I have accumulated a lot of stuff, much of which is now in boxes in the garage serving no purpose.

It's worthwhile to try something new once in a while. But...when you buy something new all the time whether its a gun, holster, mag carriers etc. it adds up and you can waste a lot of money.

We all have plenty of unused stuff and that money spent could have been better used on ammo and training.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

There comes a point when you're just spending money to spend money.

Nothing wrong with trying something new. I do it all the time. But if something works great, do you need another one? I can understand if there's something you don't like about what you got, you may need to look for something which makes things more acceptable.

When it comes to holsters, what I lack are holsters for my back-up guns which allow me to wear them in alternate locations. That is what I've been focusing on as of late. Getting weak side holsters to fit guns I already own, or allows me to carry in an alternative location.

So throwing some things out to consider. As I said, nothing wrong with buying something new, just to be buying something new.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    I have tried several different holsters in an attempt to find something else that I can recommend to others, to no avail. I feel like a one-note horn touting only one model to people.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I have tried several different holsters in an attempt to find something else that I can recommend to others, to no avail. I feel like a one-note horn touting only one model to people.
    Interesting point. Seems like I'm always saying the same thing. Hybrid holster, wilderness belt, Glock, etc, etc, etc. Now granted, I did spend almost three years getting my kit to the point I wanted it lol...
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I tend to stick with something if it works well enough. The main reason I have several new holster in the last couple months is not because I really needed or wanted one, it's because I started making them. Made one for my wife because she really did need a new one for a new gun, a couple for myself, sold a few; it's addictive.

Same with my guns. I could go broke buying what I want. But currently I have at least one of everything I need. Several of which I would not even consider replacing with anything else.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Generally I keep an eye out on the new stuff and read reviews to see if it's better then what I now have. If it is then I will consider buying it after the product has been out awhile...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

I reckon when the "bug" bites, sometimes ya just gotta scratch the itch! Case in point...I needed a .22 revolver like I needed a hole in the head...no pun intended. Sooooo, the gun show comes to town, here I am walkin roun an swattin them bugs, when danged if a Ruger LCR .22 didn't crawl out of a display case into my hand. That bug lit on my shoulder and took a big ole bite and before I knew it, the dang revolver was in a bag, laying on the seat of my truck and I was on my way home. I walked in the door and the Missus says, "Honey, what's that big welp on your shoulders? Did you get bit again?" I just hung my head and tried to find some anti-itch cream. SIGH
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Perfection is the enemy of "good enough".

When I do see something that may be better in some aspect I ask myself if the improvement warrants the time in training and costs for training such as ammunition necessary to adjust to a new system or product.

If it has no impact on skills required to change to it, does it have a proven track record good enough to warrant changing to it?

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    When I do see something that may be better in some aspect I ask myself if the improvement warrants the time in training and costs for training such as ammunition necessary to adjust to a new system or product.

If it has no impact on skills required to change to it, does it have a proven track record good enough to warrant changing to it?
    YOu mean "Ooohhhh, shiny." doesn't count?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    YOu mean "Ooohhhh, shiny." doesn't count?
    Only if gold plating and exotic hides are involved.

You know me too well!

Many here know that I have been, and remain, a Fist holster fan.
    I have to add another holster maker into the arena of excellence...High Noon holsters.
    At first I viewed High Noon as an Uncle Mike's this one fits several, but after some experimentation with High Noon, and now using some of their products, they ARE a great holster maker.
    I was surprised at the Q U A L I T Y...don't pass them up...take a look!High Noon Holsters
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links