Well I am back to carrying one of my 1911's

This is a discussion on Well I am back to carrying one of my 1911's within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been carrying my S&W 457 for a while now. It has been a great carry gun but I just shoot my 1911's so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well I am back to carrying one of my 1911's

I have been carrying my S&W 457 for a while now. It has been a great carry gun but I just shoot my 1911's so much better. I am going to be taking a shooting class this summer and I want to use my carry gun. Since I am so much better and faster with my 1911's that is what I am going to use. So I am back to packing my Colt Gold Cup Trophy. Boy this thing is so accurate.
    Attached Images
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I have an XD service model that I shoot really well and use as my carry gun. I have been thinking about getting a compact or sub compact to carry, but with my ability to be combat accurate with good speed and control and with a very comfortable IWB holster, I don't think I will be making the change. I figure if it works and you are comfortable with it, then that is what you should use.

Not that I can't shoot the 457 well I am just better with the 1911. It is hard to put the 457 back in the safe but I think it is the best choice.

I would make the same choice in the same situation. The 1911 is not bad to carry and if I shot it better than my 457, I would carry it as well. It is all about what works best for you. When I tried the compacts and sub compacts, I shot them well, but the service model just "felt better".

mkh
    Nothing wrong with carrying a 1911. My EDC is a Sig 1911 Ultra and the only issue I have is the 7 round magazines make it hard to carry much ammo. Somehow 7+1 and a spare mag seems inadequate. Guess that is just a mental thing.

I would and feel fine with 15 rounds of 45acp.

sgb
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    TG the last pistol I carried before the CCO was a 457. I loved that pistol but don't regret the switch.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I normally carry my Colt Combat Commander,but haven't retrieved it from my Doctors Office since I broke my leg,carrying a M&P 45c right now with a spare mag til I get Colt back,but to be honest I'm more accurate and my RIA 1911 Compact has a better trigger than my Colt,I may end up carrying it again in the near future.
    I carry wilson 47D 8 round mags
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    The Colt Gold Cup is such a great firearm. Always has been.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I normally carry my Colt Combat Commander,but haven't retrieved it from my Doctors Office since I broke my leg...
    You left your Colt at your Doctor's Office? Perhaps it is a personal thing, State law thing, etc. but there's no way I'm leaving a weapon there without taking it with me when I leave. I don't understand the scenario.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

OD*
    Nice Colt, TGs.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Thanks OD… I did change out the DuckBill grip safety, factory Gold Cup grips and I put a Colt Combat Elite front sight in place of the target front sight. As you can see I also changed the hammer to the type of hammer that I prefer. It is the perfect 1911 for me.

OD*
    It looks good set-up that way. I never cared for the duckbill gs myself, and am glad to see Colt moving away from their use on the new pistols.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

nice... i've been carryning the 1911 for a while. I switched back to my MP9c though

it wasn't the weight that bothred me. it was actually the 5 inch barrel. with the cant I prefer to carry the barrel was just too long. it was leaving indents on my car seat. so it stuck out... lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links