Going 'old school'

Going 'old school'

This is a discussion on Going 'old school' within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As some of you may suspect, I love shooting. I have some nice high-tech options for concealed carry, but I love anything that goes 'bang'. ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By WHEC724
  • 2 Post By MLittle

Thread: Going 'old school'

VIP Member

Going 'old school'

As some of you may suspect, I love shooting. I have some nice high-tech options for concealed carry, but I love anything that goes 'bang'.

My son will be getting a Ruger single six for his birthday this summer, and I must admit that I was feeling a little envious of his new acquisition.

We tend to be a little competitive in our shooting, so I thought it would be only fair if I had a single-action as well... So I just ordered this from Bud's:

It's a Ruger Vaquero .357, and will be my first "nickle plated sissy pistol" (actually it's stainless). I normally prefer blued, but the price was the same, so I thought "what the heck, I'll have a shiny one in the collection".

He and I are already talking about our next acquisition, and we're both thinking 'black powder' next time...
    wmhawth and bmcgilvray like this.

VIP Member
    Don’t have a Vaquero yet but have several Blackhawks and a Super Blackhawk in both old models and new models. They are all fun to shoot, very accurate and built like tanks. Enjoy your new toy.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I've always wanted one of those, someday maybe.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

I have one of those.......but in 45 Colt. Changed the grips out for stag. 45Colt ammo is expensive, so I started loading my own. Then, I rationalized that I really should have more guns in 45 Colt since I was reloading my own. Got a blue, Colt Single Action Army....also in 45 Colt. To be honest, the Colt shoots better than the Ruger, but it did cost more than twice as much. The relationship between the trigger guard and stock is slightly different from the Ruger to the Colt. The Ruger tends to come back on the knuckle of my middle finger during recoil....the Colt doesn't do that. Now, I'm looking to get a Winchester 1873 replica rifle....also in 45 Colt. Where will this end???
    WHEC724 and shooterX like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    I have one of those.......but in 45 Colt. Changed the grips out for stag. 45Colt ammo is expensive, so I started loading my own. Then, I rationalized that I really should have more guns in 45 Colt since I was reloading my own. Got a blue, Colt Single Action Army....also in 45 Colt. To be honest, the Colt shoots better than the Ruger, but it did cost more than twice as much. The relationship between the trigger guard and stock is slightly different from the Ruger to the Colt. The Ruger tends to come back on the knuckle of my middle finger during recoil....the Colt doesn't do that. Now, I'm looking to get a Winchester 1873 replica rifle....also in 45 Colt. Where will this end???
    It's hard to talk about single-actions without tipping your hat to Colt. My son gave me a little grief about it (1) not being a Colt, and (2) at least being 45 LC. I reminded him that he chose the single-six, so that he wouldn't go broke feeding it, and that I don't reload and therefore will mostly be running cheap .38 special 'cowboy loads' through mine. This is our first foray into the single-action world. If it sticks, I'm sure we'll have a pony or two in the barn at some point.

Be really careful here or you'll find yourself wanting to get a concealment rig for it.

Looks good!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Real nice!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,And I applaud your choice of caliber.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

nice new Ruger
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Be really careful here or you'll find yourself wanting to get a concealment rig for it.

Looks good!
    Thanks BMC. I can only hope to be that good... 'someday.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    I've always wanted one of those, someday maybe.
    I've been thinking the same for the last few years. They don't break the bank - there's no need to wait.

I always wanted a center fire SSA.. I h ave a colt in 22lr with a extra mag cylinder...it cheap fun shooting....
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Sponsored Links