HK polygonal barrel & lead bullets

This is a discussion on HK polygonal barrel & lead bullets within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all, I am considering buying a HK USP 45 and have been researching this pistol and a couple others. Anyway I found it has ...

Thread: HK polygonal barrel & lead bullets

Hi all,
    I am considering buying a HK USP 45 and have been researching this pistol and a couple others. Anyway I found it has a polygon barrel and I have heard you can't fire lead through those barrels as it leads easier and can become dangerous (according to Glock). I am assuming the true is the same for HK...is it? Does anyone use lead on a regular basis? I was considering using the pistol for competition and would like to use lead.
    Is a Sig Saur as good a pistol as HK and what kind of barrel does it have ( land and grooves or polygon)?
    If I can't use the HK for shooting lead bullets, is it possible to obtain a good barrel replacement just for shooting matches?
    Does anyone shoot IDPA and if so what would be a good,accurate pistol be that would serve double duty as personal protection in the home? For carry I use a Taurus PT111.

Thank you all in advance...much appreciated!!

Chuck McAllister

Senior Moderator
    Hi all,
    I am considering buying a HK USP 45 and have been researching this pistol and a couple others. Anyway I found it has a polygon barrel and I have heard you can't fire lead through those barrels as it leads easier and can become dangerous (according to Glock). I am assuming the true is the same for HK...is it? Does anyone use lead on a regular basis? I was considering using the pistol for competition and would like to use lead.
    The factory does not reccomend using lead because it does have a tendency to lead the barrel. The danger comes from getting so much lead in the barrel that it literally becomes smaller in size thus increasing the pressure that it takes to push the bullet though the barrel. It could be enough of a pressure increase to cause the gun to fail. Its more of a liability thing for the factory, since they cant control the way its used, the reccomend against it.

Is a Sig Saur as good a pistol as HK and what kind of barrel does it have ( land and grooves or polygon)?
    Yes, the Sig and the HK are pretty much the cream of the crop in my opinion. Both are high quality guns and neither one of them are cheap.The SIG has standard rifling in the barrel and poses no problems when shooting with lead. I cast my own bullets and shoot lead extensivley and have never had a problem...but I clean my guns after every shooting session.

If I can't use the HK for shooting lead bullets, is it possible to obtain a good barrel replacement just for shooting matches
    I know that you can get one for a Glock, which also has polygonal rifleing, I beleive you can get one for the HK.

In truth, I've shot my Glock with lead and never had an issue. It will lead up the barrel a bit, you just have to spend a little extra time ensuring that it comes out when you clean it.

Does anyone shoot IDPA and if so what would be a good,accurate pistol be that would serve double duty as personal protection in the home? For carry I use a Taurus PT111.
    I have but unfortunatly there is not an IDPA club around here otherwise I'd do it often. I have 5 Sigs and any one of them is up to the challenges. Any Glock as well as any HK is up to it just about any 1911 clone is up to it. The key is to try them all and see which one fits your hand the best. As long as you feel comfortable with the gun and it is absolutley reliable, that it all that matters. Some people love Glocks. Others hate them. Every brand out there had advantages and disadvantages, they trick is figuring them all out without spending a fortune first.

Everyone has their favorites, but no amount of advice will make up for the shorcomings of it if the grip is too big or tool little or the trigger is too far away to comfortably reach with the proper grip. Its here that a little reasearch and actual handling of the gun go a long way.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    Yes, aftermarket barrels for the HK can be found. I have used some lead bullets thru my HK .40 Just clean it real good once I am done. Also , plated bullets don't seem to leave nearly as much lead.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

yes Hk aftermarket barrels can be found .. no dont shoot lead threw the stock barrel mine leads very badly in about 50 rounds no matter how hard or soft cast

Links