Catastrophic Failure Of A Kel-Tec PF9 - Always Wear Eye Protection!

This is a discussion on Catastrophic Failure Of A Kel-Tec PF9 - Always Wear Eye Protection! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well it appears that the full text as well as the photos have now been deleted from the BUSSE forum so....don't bother clicking the provided ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Catastrophic Failure Of A Kel-Tec PF9 - Always Wear Eye Protection!

Administrator

Post Catastrophic Failure Of A Kel-Tec PF9 - Always Wear Eye Protection!

Well it appears that the full text as well as the photos have now been deleted from the BUSSE forum so....don't bother clicking the provided link.
    (LINK DELETED)

This story was posted over at Bladeforums regarding a catastrophic slide failure with some decently serious resulting facial injury.

I'll post a small portion of the story here (copyright thing ) but, you'll need to go there to read the remainder of the story and view the PICS.

I brought several new pistols and rifles I had acquired, but hadn’t had a chance to shoot yet. The first pistol I shot was a Kel-Tec PF9, a small pocket size self defense pistol in 9mm. I had shot @40 rounds through it when the gun had a catastrophic failure of the slide. The slide broke in half with the front part travelling about 6-10 feet down range and the back half slamming into me. This is very uncommon and 100% a defective product. Guns routinely fire thousands upon thousands of rounds with no weakening of their strength. The slide struck my shooting glasses and then was directed down into my face (more on this later). The slide gave me several deep lacerations (I really don’t know how many stitches I got), fractured my cheek bone in a few places, and almost sliced off the lobe of my nostril.

Little did I know that Friday was going to be the good day. It has been a very painful weekend. My head swelled up like a balloon. Closing my right eye completely and causing me a lot of pain. The right side of my jaw is numb (they say from my fractured cheekbone), but sore at the same time (didn’t know that was possible). I guess it is my vanity coming out, but I am extremely worried about my teeth and nose. The doctor said that we will have to wait on see about the nose. It didn’t have a lot of tissue holding it on, and it might require plastic surgery to repair. Time will tell. I can’t really see a dentist until the swelling and pain go down enough to let him examine it........................................... (click the above link)
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Oh my. He is very lucky. Worth repeating. Always wear ear and eye protection. I sure hope he is doing ok.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Ouch! Worrisome as I have one of these!

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Wow. He got pretty lucky; came really close to losing his eye.

I'm sorry to hear that he lost his aunt- even though I don't know him, losing family is never easy.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Administrator
    Many years ago I had a Colt 1911 "top end" mounted on an aftermarket Aluminum frame. I'm guessing the alloy frame was so "work hardened" due to improper manufacture that the rails split from the front of the rails almost all the way back to the rear of the frame.

The gun was still functioning perfectly right up until it locked up on the last round in that magazine.

VERY LUCKY for me that it did lock up because one more fired round and I would have been wearing a 1911 slide in my eye socket.

I still have pieces of that aftermarket frame saved. I cut it up and DEWATed it with my band saw. It's my reminder to always wear QUALITY eye protection.

Don't skimp on the eye protection with a pair of cheapo $9.99 CVS sunglasses.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    That knock a few rounds apart to see if any are double charged. Ammo companies have had a heck a year or two with screwed up loads from no poweder to double charges ,crush cases to bullets in backwards. KT should be contacted to
    oneshot likes this.

Wiley X - XL1's every time I shoot.
    shooterX likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

A good reminder of why you should always wear your eye protection.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Was it a Kel-Tec failure? Was it an overloaded factory round (I have first-hand experience there...)?

As Rammerjammer said, this is a good reminder that eye protection goes a long ways to defend against the gremlins.

I have added Kel-Tec to my list of companies I will not buy from. They are known for one thing ... Low price.
    GoBigOrange and RichB70 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Wiley X - XL1's every time I shoot.
    Every time!

Wiley X SG-1's here
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Sounds to me like a squib load fired with another round put behind it. I saw this happen at a range one day with a 1911. Dangerous stuff and more likely to happen with reloads on a mischarged round.
    Eagleks and WHEC724 like this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Should of bought a (insert any other handgun here).

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Sounds to me like a squib load fired with another round put behind it. I saw this happen at a range one day with a 1911. Dangerous stuff and more likely to happen with reloads on a mischarged round.
    A squib with another round fired would have caused not only a bulged barrel,but would still have the bullets lodged in the barrel,seems more like a bad casting with microscopic cracks in the slide that came apart after getting bashed a few times.there is no damage to the frame or barrel.Sounds like Keltec needs to buy a gun back,and pay medical bills + lost work
    msgt/ret and oneshot like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
    I have added Kel-Tec to my list of companies I will not buy from. They are known for one thing ... Low price.
    That's like the dumbest thing I've heard here.

actually, I lied. I saw another dumb post about a week ago. this is the 2nd dumbest.

My keltec has had many many rounds and still nothing. thing won't even jam.

I can't stand when people blame the company for one crappy gun out of many. I don't need to pictures of glocks and AR15s KBing on people

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links