Thinking about MP9 Shield for the old lady

This is a discussion on Thinking about MP9 Shield for the old lady within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought her a PF9 last year, and she hated it. the recoil was ungodly for her. even for me, I have to use gloves ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Thinking about MP9 Shield for the old lady

Thinking about MP9 Shield for the old lady

I bought her a PF9 last year, and she hated it. the recoil was ungodly for her. even for me, I have to use gloves if I'm gonna shoot a box through it...

we ended up getting her a P238 Equinox and she loves that thing...

Now, I honestly don't want to buy her another pistol (I want them all to myself) but the shield has no place for me. it's too big to pocket carry, and too small for IWB (I carry MP9c for that)

so I figured if I can't justify the cost for it, I can get it for her....

as much as I hate it, she purse carries. I told her if her purse get snatched, so will her gun. or if the bad guy tells her to give him the purse... but I guess it's better to leave it home.

that being said, I think her purse can afford a shield if the P238 comes out... I wanted to know how they compare size wise, weight wise and recoil as well. she won't like a gun that has too much recoil. the P238 is rather mild. oh also, is the slide easy to rack? she couldn't rack the PF9 lol... the P238 is very easy to rack.

she said she's ok with it as long as she can keep her Equinox P238. I reminded her that we don't sell guns in this house. only add to the collection :D

Thought maybe get her the P938 that's coming out too... huge price difference though. only way I'd get that is if I sell the P238 and upgrade to 9mm.

but I think she'll like the MP9 Shield, she likes my MP9 pistols. I'm just not sure on recoil and size compareion to the P238 for her purse.

2. Remove Ads

Well you allready bought her one she didn't like so why do it again. Take her to a range that rents guns and let her pick a few she would like to try. She will be happier with something she picks (don't ask how I learned this).If purse carry is the only way she will carry that is better than not carrying at all. Just make sure she has a purse that is designed to carry a gun in a seperate compartment. Coronado Leather and Gun Toten Mamas make some nice reasonably priced cc purses. My wife loves her S&W 642 with laser grips that I tried to talk her out of. The model 60 that I bought for myself now has pink grips on it. Now when I buy a new gun I have to hope she doesn't like it so it stays mine.
    Spirit51 likes this.

It's a great gun. If you have the opportunity to let her shoot one first, I would do that to see how she likes it.

+1 for letting her try out a few guns and let her choose her next gun
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Do you really call your wife "the old lady"??
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

The M&P Shield is 6 ounces heavier than the PF9, so I would expect the recoil to be a little less but still fairly similar. Also, the shield is specifically one of these thin profile guns designed for IWB or pocket carry... so, what good is that in a purse versus a regular sub compact? Why not consider the regular M&P compacts?

Quote Originally Posted by Risky View Post
    The M&P Shield is 6 ounces heavier than the PF9, so I would expect the recoil to be a little less but still fairly similar. Also, the shield is specifically one of these thin profile guns designed for IWB or pocket carry... so, what good is that in a purse versus a regular sub compact? Why not consider the regular M&P compacts?
    she tried carrying the MP9c in her purse, she complained that the purse got too heavy.... she doesn't carry a big purse either, so the damn thing takes half the space. lol

I have done some research since this post and people say the recoil isn't too bad. I wish I knew someone locally to let me try one!

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Yup! :) only to you guys though :D

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    +1 for letting her try out a few guns and let her choose her next gun
    We've been down that road. she decided on the P238. shield is new, so it'll be compared, but she has looked at many others

Quote Originally Posted by mj40p View Post
    Well you allready bought her one she didn't like so why do it again. Take her to a range that rents guns and let her pick a few she would like to try. She will be happier with something she picks (don't ask how I learned this).If purse carry is the only way she will carry that is better than not carrying at all. Just make sure she has a purse that is designed to carry a gun in a seperate compartment. Coronado Leather and Gun Toten Mamas make some nice reasonably priced cc purses. My wife loves her S&W 642 with laser grips that I tried to talk her out of. The model 60 that I bought for myself now has pink grips on it. Now when I buy a new gun I have to hope she doesn't like it so it stays mine.
    We've been there and done that. That's why she picked the P238... she hated the revolvers and how they felt in her hand. looked at the bersa, but fell in love with the P238. so we got her that.

now I can't go rent a shield 9mm, which is why, I pretty much have to buy it (wouldn't it be nice if we could test drive a gun before we buy it?) the theory i'm going off of is that she loves me MP9 pistol (compact and full) so this can only make sense.

the only thing i'm worried about for her is the slide manipulation. like most regular females, she has problems with racking the slide with many pistols. PF9 was one. bersa was ok. MP9, she can do it with some concentration :D

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    If she likes the P238, can work the slide, recoil is moderate, she can hit with it, and she will carry it, why are you trying to change her to something else?
    P.S. Old Lady is demeaning no matter who you say it to, or about.

If she's just your "Old Lady" why buy her a gun at all?

When you are young, the "old lady" is your mom, when you are older and married the "old lady" is your wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post

Yup! :) only to you guys though :D

I won't tell...but don't slip up and use it to her. Women either don't care or really hate it. No in between. You probability know which it is in your house.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Thank you for the advice on what to call my wife. I will now refer to her as the 'wifey'. :)

it was a tough decision between 'wifey' and 'boo'

I think wifey will be more generally accepted on this website.

now, back to that shield and recoil :)

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I'm with royal barnes, if she likes the p238, why change?

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I'm with royal barnes, if she likes the p238, why change?
    That's a good point.

I'm just going in my head "9mm is bigger than what she carries, and it's the same size pistol"

Quote Originally Posted by Risky View Post
    I own an LC9 and I shot a shield last week. The Shield is noticeably more comfortable to shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links