My Taurus Tracker Trials...

This is a discussion on My Taurus Tracker Trials... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, I'm sitting on the throne, reading "Rifleman" magazine and I come across this cover story on the new 22 Taurus Tracker. What makes this ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By 10thmtn
  • 1 Post By RevolvingMag
  • 1 Post By jblives2ride
  • 1 Post By RevolvingMag
  • 1 Post By SickMAK90

Thread: My Taurus Tracker Trials...

Distinguished Member

So, I'm sitting on the throne, reading "Rifleman" magazine and I come across this cover story on the new 22 Taurus Tracker. What makes this pistol unique is that you can change out cylinders from 22LR to 22 Mag (WMR). So I get all caught up in this because there are some younger folks I know who want to learn to shoot and a 22 revolver is a great way to start with a handgun. In addition, the mag round seems to hold some grudging respect as a bare minimum for self defense. In this category I think of my wife who shies away from firearms but in a PHTF scenario could grab a revolver, run into the bathroom, lock the door, get on the floor, and she has nine rounds to convince someone it's probably a bad idea to take it any further. Two for the price of one!

So, in an impulsive move, I sell one pistol and buy "two" pistols. "Rifleman" clearly states on the cover that this new wonder is the Model 990. So, I go on Gunbroker and find a really good deal on the 990 and buy it. I guess you know where this is going. I get the gun home and eagerly open the box. Hmmm, uh, am I missing a cylinder?? I go back to the article and see that it's clearly the 990. I know, I shoulda done a little more investigating on GB before, pardon the pun, I pulled the trigger.

Looking back on GB I see all these 990's. No mention about interchanging ammo. More investigating. Well, lookee here. They are calling it the Model 992. I shoot an email to Rifleman and ask "What gives?". Get an email back the next day. "Sorry, dude, our bad. We did give a correction in the next issue." Say, what?.

So, I am the owner of a very fine, unfired WMR 22 mag, 4" barrel, black, 9 shot revolver. Anybody wanna buy a gun?
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

woops and no thanks
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    woops and no thanks
    Heyyyy, where's the love?
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

How about contacting Taurus and seeing if you can buy a .22 LR cylinder and swap it out yourself? if possible?
    aznav likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I'll give you $20...

aznav likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    repost it on gunbroker, and buy the one you want...sorry for your misfortune...
    aznav likes this.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    How about contacting Taurus and seeing if you can buy a .22 LR cylinder and swap it out yourself? if possible?
    Whoa! That's a great idea! Now, I'm wondering if the frame is different (allowing for the cylinders differences?) between the 90 and 92. About to find out. THANKS!!!

Distinguished Member
    Revo, I believe you should change your handle to "Revolving gag"!

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Revo, I believe you should change your handle to "Revolving gag"!
    Gotta try, right?

I'm sure you chuckled at least a little. And, sometimes you manage to get a little lucky.
    aznav likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

I don't think interchangeable with two cylinders from 22LR to 22 Winmag is "unique". For example the Ruger Single six comes like this.

But you live and learn I guess.

My grandfather has a set of dueling pistols that are pretty old. One of them is a 22lr or mag and the other is .357 or 9mm. I'd hate to be the guy that got the 22lr against the 357.
    aznav likes this.

I'd just hate to have to fight a duel at 10 to 14 paces with pistols with rifled barrels and chambered for modern self-contained metallic cartridges of any sort.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Well? Are you able to swap out the cylinders? Kinda curious myself...
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member
    Whoops. Sorry guys. I did contact Taurus as per your suggestion. Two different frames (990 and 992). Won't work. Decided I'm joust sticking with the 990. Thanks!

Ah well...

Enjoy it anyway!

I got lucky a year or so ago...found an old used Iver Johnson "Sealed Target 8" revolver for $150. The sights are mediocre, but it sure is fun (and cheap) to shoot!
    CT Lasers

Sponsored Links