What is your general protocol for your carry weapon?

This is a discussion on What is your general protocol for your carry weapon? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks in advance- I know this has been asked before and I have seen bits and pieces but I am interested in an update. Concern ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What is your general protocol for your carry weapon?

Thanks in advance-

I know this has been asked before and I have seen bits and pieces but I am interested in an update. Concern only with the gun you actually carry and depend upon and, if different, the gun you keep in the house for emergencies (but which usually sits in a clean area all the time).

If you carry more than 1 gun, refer to your "primary" piece.

Carry gun: make/model/caliber
    1- how often do you shoot?
    2- do you have an identical copy "range only" gun or do you use the carry gun both for practice and carry?
    3- how often do you replace springs?
    4- how often do you clean? If "after every session" make sure your answer matches the first question
    5- do you clean it every week?
    6- do you worry more about missing debris or lint that will impair function, or overcleaning = overlube = more likely to cause problems
    7- if you carry chambered, how often do you re chamber the same round before it gets moved out of the rotation?
    8- do you have dedicated "carry" magazines versus "range" mags and if so do you generally just keep 1 or two "carry" mags loaded with your carry ammo all the time? or do you cycle these as well periodically?
    9- how many rounds of your carry ammo did you shoot before you considered the gun as a reliable carry
    10 - in practice if you get a failure to feed, light primer, stovepipe, jam, or anything other than a perfect run, and this is your carry piece, do you "reset" and repeat the #9 process again running X rounds of your carry ammo flawlessly before you considered the gun as a reliable carry again?

House gun
    11 - Any differences between the answers for this gun and the carry piece? Specifically do you change the intervals at which you clean it given it sees less "use" and do you change the intevals you practive at the range or change the Mag protocol?
    12 - How long would you leave a cleaned house gun loaded, and chambered, with the same round, before you would feel the need to fire it or clean it or rotate the one in the chamber? In this case, looking for your "max" tolerance of leaving it alone and still trusting it

Either
    13 - How often do you dry fire practice?
    14 - snap caps or nothing when you dry fire
    15 - do you have a dedicated dry fire room with no ammo rule? are you truly un-armed during dry fire or do you keep a BUG on "just in case" trouble occurs while you are dry fire practicing?
    Posts are for entertainment only. I have no training, database, background, knowledge of law, skills, or conviction of belief that anything I post is safe or relevant for your situation and bear no responsibility for any actions or events related to your interpretation of any of my post(s).

Are we going to graded??
    barstoolguru and T_from_Fla like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Yes of course.
    The person who's answers most closely match what I want the "right" answers to be will win a used, moderately uncomfortable left handed ankle holster and a matching half tube of neosporin ointment.
    Posts are for entertainment only. I have no training, database, background, knowledge of law, skills, or conviction of belief that anything I post is safe or relevant for your situation and bear no responsibility for any actions or events related to your interpretation of any of my post(s).

I see a score of 87

I'll bite.

1. I'm still in school, so I only get to range either when I have the money for bullets or whenever I go home to see my Dad. But it's enough time to feel comfortable
    2. Just have one gun currently
    3. Not nearly enough bullets yet to worry about that (if I understand the Q correctly)
    4. I clean after every range visit and the occasional day I feel like it
    5. No
    6. I'm not obsessive about cleaning, I just make sure it stays clean and functional though. I am trusting my life with it.
    7. Hmm..Not sure I could quantify an answer. Most of the time it is loaded and cocked, so I don't re-chamber a specific round too much, but I know I have rotated before
    8. Just have the two mags it came with
    9. My Dad carried it before getting his Glock 30, so I trusted him if he was handing it down. Plus I never had any issues prior when firing it
    10. I've only had faulty ammo issues, but if the gun had an issue...ha, not much I can financially do about it. That's why I train and have a spare mag
    11. Same gun, so
    12. I guess if I had one, it would depend on if it was some special self defense rounds I paid a lot for, or just some that was in a box of fifty. I know ammo is good for years if stored right, but I guess I'd rotate if I felt the need to
    13. Not very often, although I have before. I mostly practice my draw since I use a smartcarry type holster
    14. I do use snap caps
    15. Still only have one gun. Maybe one day when I finish school and can afford my own I'll have that possibilty

I am interested to see what others say since I have much yet to learn about all this stuff.

1. About once a month. It used to be more but I'm broke right now.
    2. no
    3. when needed
    4. after each range trip for carry weapons
    5. no
    6. debris is more of a concern for me
    7. 2-3 times with the same rechamered round
    8. no
    9. one full mag- I can't afford to shoot multiple boxes of expensive hi quality self defense ammo
    10. no
    11. no
    12. one year-as for the round chambered once during that whole year, there is no need to replace it. it's been sitting there, why change it out?
    13. several times a week, no exact round count
    14. snap caps are a must for me
    15. no dry fire room for me. there's typcially a loaded shotgun by me while dry firing so I'm not too concerned about being unarmed at the time
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

RKM
    I'm bored

Glock 30SF .45ACP
    1: 1-2 times per month
    2: No, but I do have a G19
    3: None so far
    4: 1-2 times per month
    5: No
    6: Neither, but I'd say over lube.
    7: I only unchamber the round every range visit. I visually check for set-back and eventually shoot it at the range
    8: No
    9: 2 boxes
    10: Something like that. I've only ever had a failure while testing carry ammo. It was human error. I still refused to carry it until I could shoot another box
    11: No
    12: A long time
    13: Maybe once a week. Not necessarily with my carry guns.
    14: Sometimes I use them, sometimes I don't. I'm not afraid to dry fire guns.
    15: No. 99% of my life, there is a loaded gun within reach.

let me respond but not in order

yes
    yes
    no
    no
    yes
    maybe
    20 times
    never
    and she looked like someone I knew
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

I don't take numbered tests when I don't have to, but I will answer in this way.

Hubby and I shoot when we can. Hubby usually cleans the weapons after a session or if the weapon looks like it needs it. I carry my LCP in my jeans pocket, unless it is a dress up occasion. Then I carry in my special purse with the zippered compartment.
    Next to my chair I have a sewing basket that holds my current project, scissors, thread, needles and on top my SP101. If I am working around the house or garden I have a waist bag that holds either my LCP or my SP101, a knife, and my cell phone. I don't carry at any get to gather that involves drinking. If I am at a family function or the like where there are kids...I carry my purse with the zippered compartment and lock that compartment.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Carry gun: make/model/caliber Varies 380, 9mm, 45, and .357
    1- how often do you shoot? Depends but try to several times a month, sometimes it is just a .22
    2- do you have an identical copy "range only" gun or do you use the carry gun both for practice and carry? No.
    3- how often do you replace springs? Never needed to yet.
    4- how often do you clean? If "after every session" make sure your answer matches the first question When they are dirty enough or I feel the urge
    5- do you clean it every week? No.
    6- do you worry more about missing debris or lint that will impair function, or overcleaning = overlube = more likely to cause problems No.
    7- if you carry chambered, how often do you re chamber the same round before it gets moved out of the rotation? Yes, when the round has any noticable change in OAL.
    8- do you have dedicated "carry" magazines versus "range" mags and if so do you generally just keep 1 or two "carry" mags loaded with your carry ammo all the time? or do you cycle these as well periodically? Some have dedicated carry mags, some don't.
    9- how many rounds of your carry ammo did you shoot before you considered the gun as a reliable carry Between 5 and 200 depending on gun.
    10 - in practice if you get a failure to feed, light primer, stovepipe, jam, or anything other than a perfect run, and this is your carry piece, do you "reset" and repeat the #9 process again running X rounds of your carry ammo flawlessly before you considered the gun as a reliable carry again? Depends on the failure.

House gun
    11 - Any differences between the answers for this gun and the carry piece? Specifically do you change the intervals at which you clean it given it sees less "use" and do you change the intevals you practive at the range or change the Mag protocol? Sames guns.
    12 - How long would you leave a cleaned house gun loaded, and chambered, with the same round, before you would feel the need to fire it or clean it or rotate the one in the chamber? In this case, looking for your "max" tolerance of leaving it alone and still trusting it Ammo doesn't go bad sitting in the box or while in a chamber.

Either
    13 - How often do you dry fire practice? Varies
    14 - snap caps or nothing when you dry fire Snap caps when practicing.
    15 - do you have a dedicated dry fire room with no ammo rule? are you truly un-armed during dry fire or do you keep a BUG on "just in case" trouble occurs while you are dry fire practicing? No dedicated room, loaded magazine is usually on the table in the room.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member
    Is this a test, or a survey?
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Carry gun: Glock 19
    1- 2-3 times a month
    2- no
    3- I haven't had to yet
    4- after every session
    5- no
    6- overlube
    7- I don't rechamber. It's loaded all the time.
    8- no. Whichever mag I put in is my carry magazine
    9- I ran a box of Gold Dot through to reinforce what I already knew (my Glock isn't picky)
    10 - No failures yet
    11 - Current house gun is my G19. My impending AR will replace it.
    12 - I don't worry about that.
    13 - Not much, other than when I first got it.
    14 - Nothing
    15 - No

Sorry... college ended years ago and I still have nightmares about tests like these.

Pass.

Are you from the central office?

Can I use a scantron?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gasmitty and kmagnuss like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links