Used a laser for the first time. what a difference!

This is a discussion on Used a laser for the first time. what a difference! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been a hater for lasers for a while now. I disagree that they help and if anything make the shots harder because that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Used a laser for the first time. what a difference!

Used a laser for the first time. what a difference!

I have been a hater for lasers for a while now. I disagree that they help and if anything make the shots harder because that damn laser is bouncing around...

well last week I had the funds to get myself a nice light for my gun and I wanted something flush. that was the Viridian C5L... I figured I give the laser a try and see how it works

I went to the range to dial in the laser. I put it on my PF9 which is really no better than a 10 yard pistol.

I realized at 50 feet I was getting the tighest groups ever out of that little pistol. then for curiousity I took the target that was already shot up to 25 yards. the only thing clean on him was his head. so I took 5 shots at his head... I couldn't believe that at 25 yards with that tiny PF9 and that horrible long trigger, all 5 shots were in the head!

I couldn't believe how much the laser helped in my ability to aim. not only that but it was a great training aid. I was able to see which shots I was throwing

Goes to show how important that sight radius is. the PF9 has the shortest out of my pistols (besides the P238). I always assumed that was one of the big reasons why I couldn't get tight groups out of it, and I was right. with a laser there is no sight radius and I was able to get great groups...

I just had to come in and tell everyone about it. I was pretty excited how much it helped. Makes me want to get a laser for all my pistols now. I'm curious how the viridian green laser will help with steel targets and faster pace shooting now.

I actually got the laser for my M&P9c but while waiting for the holster for it, I put it on the PF9 for now. At this point, I"m ready to spend another 300 bucks and get one more for the M&P9c and keep the one on the PF9!!!

Goes to show how sometimes we talk bad about something and we have no experience (just opinions), then we go try it and realize that we were wrong. I see it happen here all the time, and I do it sometimes too. I was wrong about the laser. it helped greatly.

Here is the PF9

I should have done no laser group and laser group comparison pics... next time!

beararms likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Well, I am one of those anti-laser people too, but you make a good case for the usefulness of a laser.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

I hear ya. I thought of them as the tacti-cool movie stuff...

It just worked for me though. I guess it's either to each their own and it works for some and doesn't for the rest, or people that hate it either haven't used it, or just can't figure it out. lol

Laser is the only way to go with a snubbie... My wifes 642 is so much more accurate and if a perp or BG ever showed up, all she needs to do is mark them with the spot and pull the trigger 5 times (cause it does not hold 6 38 specials)...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

laser are more for the shots you can't make when looking down the sights like shooting from the midsection or hanging your arm around a corner without exposing yourself plus they are a great deterrent because when someone see's that dot on their chest they know youíre not going to miss.

Just an FYI; I bought a 20.00 laser off of EBay and you get what you pay for. About 50 shots into a 100 round box and the laser stopped working. Itís not the laser but the cheap toggle type switches that canít take the recoil

edit: crimson trace has a nicely put together video you can download or order from their site on lasers and how they work for you

what kind of video? the uses for it? or how to install... I'll watch for uses, but not how to install lol

yeah, my friend had a 40 dollar laser on his XD years ago, like 50 rounds in, the laser went flying out of the rail... lol

from what I hear the viridians are very good except the plastic threading for the battery cover. so I'm trying to be careful with that. the light isn't the brightest, but it does the job for the size. I rather less light, but more comact size. so this worked out perfect for me.

I only have them on two of my pistols but I too appreciate lasers. They are great for training purposes and even if they have the drawbacks that the haters say, the laser has more advantages than drawbacks.
    beararms likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, ďmore elegant weapons for a more civilized age.Ē

Have the crimson trace on mine and love it. It definitely makes hitting with the gun a LOT easier!

good post. haven't ever really considered one either, but now i may eventually get one sometime down the road.
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

I have a Lasermax on my CCW firearm. Not only does it make for a great training aid, the reality is that in a life threatening situation, your eyes are going to be focused on the threat, not on the front sight. I don't think any reasonable amount of training is going to rewire the fight/flight part of your brain, so may as well set up your firearm to be compatible with the way your brain works rather than the other way around.

Sure, if you have time, and maybe cover, you can override your hindbrain and focus on the front sight, but at that point, justifiable self-defense becomes more tenuous anyway.

I'm glad it turned out to be an eyeopener for few people!

My dad wears bifocals, and could not hit anything with a pistol, due to an inability to focus on the front sight. When I handed him one of my pistols (which all have CT lasers), he said "WOW. This is like cheating!"

Exactly.

When I showed up at a low light pistol class with my little LCP, I got some sceptical looks from the other students and the instructors. By the end of the class, I was the only one who never missed the target - not once - and who also had groups in the target's vitals.

Did I mention all my pistols wear CT lasers?

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I had a couple of cheap ones off Ebay, one on my Colt 1911-22. As I was shooting it I was watching the dot dance to the left... Bought a good Sig laser and put it on my FNX40 and it holds great and hits even better... I hate combat sights , I was looking for target sights for it bet the laser was way less money and I could find it...

10thmtn, I guess I'm not alone!

the problem is justifying the cost for one. the C5L cost more than my PF9!!! lol... those CT grips are real nice, but $$$

I love the green laser, especially for daytime.

I need to start saving to get 2 more for each of my usual carry pieces because I don't want to change it around due to re-zeroing!

It's really a difference based on whether you're shooting for sport or for self-defense practice. If you're a sport-shooter, then dry-firing with a laser lets you know your flinching habits. For SD, you want every advantage possible if you're in a situation where you need a gun.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links