Suggestions - What Kind of 1911 Should I Buy?

This is a discussion on Suggestions - What Kind of 1911 Should I Buy? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I own several pistols and revolvers and I like them all, but so many people keep telling me I need to get a 1911. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Suggestions - What Kind of 1911 Should I Buy?

I own several pistols and revolvers and I like them all, but so many people keep telling me
    I need to get a 1911. I think the bug has finally bit me and I think I'm ready to buy one.
    As much as I would love to, a Kimber or Ed Brown is out of my price range. Since this is
    going to be my first 1911, I would love to find a inexpensive but reliable model
    under $ 600.00. I've been told that RIA makes a good one and I know I really like
    the classic look of the Springfield GI 1911s. I don't need one with lots of bells and
    whistles, just something that shoots good when I pull the trigger. Again, this isn't going
    to be a BBQ gun. Any sugggestions?
    Current Carry Guns:
    Charter Arms Bullldog - .44 Special
    Taurus - 851 - .38 Special
    Taurus - 617 - .357 Magnum
    Ruger - LCP - .380
    Glock 26 - 9MM

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with RIA, but if you could squeeze up to the Springfield GI, you won't regret it (and like you said, it really looks like a classic).

I managed to pick up a new 'loaded' Springfield for $700 several years back, and it has proven to be my all-time favorite shooter.
    Diddle likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Nothing wrong with RIA, but if you could squeeze up to the Springfield GI, you won't regret it (and like you said, it really looks like a classic).

I managed to pick up a new 'loaded' Springfield for $700 several years back, and it has proven to be my all-time favorite shooter.
    I like this one really well. One of best shooting guns I own;

SA_1911.jpg

Everything is 100% OEM no modifications what so ever and certainly no buyers remorse.
    ncnatiive likes this.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Another vote for the Springer.

I shoot a Springfield TRP in steel matches these days; it's got a mag well and ambi safety and aggressive checkering and more, but I took the old warhorse SA 1911-A1 out last weekend and reminded myself how well it shoots. It was my first centerfire handgun (vintage 1990) and it's a gun I'll never part with.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

ncnative, Yes alot of us have a weakness for 1911 pistols,no shame it that. I've got a Kimber Tac ll Custom, it's really nice and shoots very well. In fact I don't carry it because I don't want to scratch it up. I was going to try a RIA but I couldn't find one.My gun dealer told me to try an ATI. Long story short,I ended up with a ATI Titian. I bought 3 Wilson magazines for it and never looked back. This model has a 3.16" barrel and it feels as tight as my Kimber,Really. I've been running Oregon Trail Lazer cast 200 grain SWC/ 5.5 grains of Win 231. It just eats them up..It shoots Speer Flying Ash Trays well also..Easy to shoot,carries well and accurate..I really like it and would buy it again.. $520 out the door...

Although I am not beating up any of them, but new I might do a Springfield, But those Colts just keep going up, and I would think you could find a good used one in you price range. I strongly feel the used Colt will be a better resale gun down the road. I realize there other reasons to buy a gun, as I would not dare carry my 70 Series Gold Cup, and risk putting a mark on it.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar

At that price range I would have to say Springfield Armory.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by sonnycrocket View Post
    agree. You can get a Remington 1911 for around $650. One of the owners of my local GS carries one as his EDC and has nothing but praises for it.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    My Kimber Custom II was a little over $700 out the door a few years ago and has been flawless. I carried it daily for a couple of years. It didn't cost so much that I was afraid to use it but it did have all of the features that I wanted. Since this is not an immediate need, hold and/or shoot as many as you can before you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by garwha View Post
    Although I am not beating up any of them, but new I might do a Springfield, But those Colts just keep going up, and I would think you could find a good used one in you price range. I strongly feel the used Colt will be a better resale gun down the road. I realize there other reasons to buy a gun, as I would not dare carry my 70 Series Gold Cup, and risk putting a mark on it.
    NO JOKE! I bought my COLT 1911 years ago and it's gone up in price almost 300 bucks.
    Glock 20sf, Sig P938

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    If you don't know, get a Rock Island - if it's fine out of the box, great - you saved a crap ton of money. If not, modify it with parts you want - worst case you buy another 1911 and put the 'good' parts on that and put your Rock Island back to factory configuration and keep or sell it.

I bought a Rock Island when I 'thought' I had to have one based on the countless threads about them, only to discover that they shoot very well but they are not for me and I'll never carry one. Found a local trade that worked out well for us both and that was that.

Take a good look at the Ruger SR1911 far more value for what you spend than most

I like the Colt.

My son has a Rock Island though and "there ain't any flies on it" as far as workmanship, accuracy, reliability, or durability (so far). He's only had it 4 years and it's been mostly stored away for the past two years while he's away in Afghan-land courtesy the USMC.

He's issued an M9 and pines for his Rock Island.

Actually the Rock Island is probably the best value for a knock-around usin' gun.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

OK. I made my decision today. After looking at several budget 1911's, my eyes kept on locking on
    a Iver Johnson Trojan that was in the case. I liked the grips, the slide action is smooth, and the gun
    seemed to be tightly put together. It was definitely within my budget at $475.00. It is a no frills
    1911 with standard iron sights. The safety is tight and it seems to be a good starter 1911 for me.
    I might attach a larger frame safety and dress up the sights in the future but for now, it will do.
    I'll see if I can range test it later today and give a report later.
    Current Carry Guns:
    Charter Arms Bullldog - .44 Special
    Taurus - 851 - .38 Special
    Taurus - 617 - .357 Magnum
    Ruger - LCP - .380
    Glock 26 - 9MM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links