Looking at the Kel-Tec SU-16c

This is a discussion on Looking at the Kel-Tec SU-16c within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I came across a few positive reviews for this little foldable .223 carbine and was curious if anyone had thoughts on it. I've studied the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rachilders

Thread: Looking at the Kel-Tec SU-16c

Looking at the Kel-Tec SU-16c

I came across a few positive reviews for this little foldable .223 carbine and was curious if anyone had thoughts on it. I've studied the design and like the idea of AK style action with AR mags Please, if you don't have first hand experience, ie have owned/shot one, don't tell me your problems with them. I like the idea of this as a possible trunk gun and would love some feedback.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

Haven't shot it yet, but I'm looking for a trunk/bag gun and have been taking "shark passes" at both it and the Sub2000 on the racks of the local gun store recently. It feels like a Kel-Tec - plastic parts, and the one thing that's keeping me from pulling the wallet trigger is the forestock. It's a neat idea, but the execution isn't quite there. The clips that hold the stock together (but allow it to be released to form a bipod) feel flimsy, and the one used Su-16 on the racks has one of those clips broken. I think swapping out that stock with the railed version would make it a winner, and it seems a much functional option than the standard M6-type breakdowns.

That said, I'm leaning towards the P2000 in 40S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by NH_Esau View Post
    Haven't shot it yet, but I'm looking for a trunk/bag gun and have been taking "shark passes" at both it and the Sub2000 on the racks of the local gun store recently. It feels like a Kel-Tec - plastic parts, and the one thing that's keeping me from pulling the wallet trigger is the forestock. It's a neat idea, but the execution isn't quite there. The clips that hold the stock together (but allow it to be released to form a bipod) feel flimsy, and the one used Su-16 on the racks has one of those clips broken. I think swapping out that stock with the railed version would make it a winner, and it seems a much functional option than the standard M6-type breakdowns.

That said, I'm leaning towards the P2000 in 40S&W.
    I was thinking of the replacement foregrip if I get one. From what I've read/watched, the bi-pod is not very functional anyway and the weight difference between the bi-pod and replacement foregrip is negligible. As far as the sub 2000, I'm not yet sold with a pistol cartridge in a carbine length gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

I have a SU16c and like it. Light weight piston driven taking AR mags and can fold in half.

Great little back packing or trunk gun.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I have a PLR-16 and installed the SU-16 "Charlie" stock on it a few months ago. It is now my avatar here on the forum. Essentially, the PLR-16 is an SU-16 w/o the butt stock and with a shorter barrel. I got my Class III stamp (the folding stock made the PLR-16, a pistol, into a 9" SBR) before installing my new stock so everything was legal and finally got my gun put together just after the Christmas holidays. It's now my favorite SHTF/home defense gun. I like the blend of AR & AK characteristics of the K-T rifles and the compatibility of the many AR options with the SU/PLR guns. Also, you can't beat the price. It's reliable, accurate, affordable and a fun gun to shoot. I love it.

Below are a few shot's of my PLR/SBR with the Charlie folding stock.
    Attached Images
    WHEC724 and 64zebra like this.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

VIP Member
    Kel Tec pistols are pretty crummy but most folks like the carbines. I'd say go for it.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
    I have a PLR-16 and installed the SU-16 "Charlie" stock on it a few months ago. It is now my avatar here on the forum. Essentially, the PLR-16 is an SU-16 w/o the butt stock and with a shorter barrel. I got my Class III stamp (the folding stock made the PLR-16, a pistol, into a 9" SBR) before installing my new stock so everything was legal and finally got my gun put together just after the Christmas holidays. It's now my favorite SHTF/home defense gun. I like the blend of AR & AK characteristics of the K-T rifles and the compatibility of the many AR options with the SU/PLR guns. Also, you can't beat the price. It's reliable, accurate, affordable and a fun gun to shoot. I love it.

Below are a few shot's of my PLR/SBR with the Charlie folding stock.

God I love that setup and have been eyeing it for quite a while. My wife might kill me if I just went and bought the PLR based on other recent purchases, but maybe if I sold the SU16 I own first... Hmmmmmmmm. How long did it take you to get everything approved? Any snags along the way? I'm thinking more and more that this is the way to go, that thing is just so fricking sweet! It's a great way to own a "d" version and its just such a perfect home defense/truck gun.

As for the SU16, I own one and really like it. I probably wouldn't suggest it as your only "battle rifle", but if you have no interest in that or already own something for that niche, the keltec is a fun and perfectly suited trunk/SHTF/home defense rifle. I own an AK, but think I like shooting the keltec more, it's just so dang fun. You can throw it in a duffle bag to bug out with, keep it out of sight but still have the power of a carbine ready to go. And if all is right in the world and it stays in order, well then you still have a fun gun to take to the range or backpacking with you. I do a lot of solo backpacking and camping, and I like to have something more than a Pistol with me, so this is perfect.

In some areas, a trunk gun would need to have unloaded mags in order to be legally carried in your vehicle.

In such an area, a carbine that takes your CCW pistol's mags would make sense, as it could be brought into action very quickly. I would favor the Sub 2000 for this reason.

Another option is a coach gun for that role - very quick to load with two shells, and handy. Backed up by your handgun, it should do whatever needs to be done.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Links