Buying from Cheaper Than Dirt.

This is a discussion on Buying from Cheaper Than Dirt. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wanted to let everyone know about a potential problem if you order Ammo or parts from CTD. CTD uses FedEx; FedEx does not require ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Inspector71
  • 1 Post By ericb327

Thread: Buying from Cheaper Than Dirt.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar

Buying from Cheaper Than Dirt.

I wanted to let everyone know about a potential problem if you order Ammo or parts from CTD. CTD uses FedEx; FedEx does not require a signature unless the customer requests it. Even though the package is marked hazardous. When ordering online there is not an option for a signature when checking out. FedEx left 700 rounds of ammo 4 feet from the sidewalk and walked away before I could get to the door. Unacceptable in my opinion. Below is an email conversation I had with CTD.

Why doesn't my ammunition order require a signature. Fed Ex knocks on the door and walks away?

If we donít add a signature on our end, it is at the driverís discretion whether they ask for a signature.

I did not see an option for that when I ordered online. How can I make this happen in the future?

Email or call us after placing an order so that we can add one.

Ok, but its inconvenient for me to spend an extra 20 minutes on the phone. How about adding the option on the site?

I said you can email us. You can email me directly.

Or you can give me the option when I check out and make it easier for the customer. Trying to give you feedback. Hope to see it available.

After speaking to CTD about this today they said "there were other priorities like adding drop shippers and other revenue generating things." Does anyone else see a problem here? Theft, ammo ending up in the hands of children or criminals.

I have always received great service and prices from CTD but I question whether I should continue doing business with them.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I've never considered this a problem. If it is too inconvenient for you to send an email or call requesting they add request a signature on your order maybe you should buy somewhere else.
    ToddR likes this.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    I've never considered this a problem. If it is too inconvenient for you to send an email or call requesting they add request a signature on your order maybe you should buy somewhere else.
    I probably will but don't you think it's silly they wont add this simple feature to there check out?
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    The online ammo sales retailers I've used, so far, also have not required signatures on delivery. None provided a radio-box on their online checkouts, to request signature release.

Only one asked for a FAX'ed or scanned proof-of-age/residency.

A very nice contractor once moved 2K rounds indoors for me (they were working on my garage), when it started raining. He was even thoughtful enough to put it where my wife wouldn't stumble into it. Yes, he's a fellow shooter, married. He understood The Code.

That said, I do agree with you, even though I would not necessarily use it, myself. It would be a nice feature.

1K rounds of range-fodder, I don't really have a problem with, at my back doorstep (I live in a relatively decent area). But 4K or above...the dollars start to add-up. Heck, even 1K of SD/HD ammo.....

I received an encouraging phone call from the Internet sales manager today.
    ToddR likes this.

Why I don't use FedEx... and yes that is a computer monitor

M.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    I probably will but don't you think it's silly they wont add this simple feature to there check out?
    Definitely should be an option.

Signature confirmation should be required by default in my opinion for certain items. There should be an option to waive confirmation, but too much can go wrong.

UPS just drops it and heads back to the truck also. Fortunately, I pass by a UPS distribution center on my way to work. I have sensitive items shipped directly to the center and held for pickup. While something like that might not be convenient for everyone, it's ideal for me.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I believe you can call Fedex and set this up too based on your address.

However, I have not had good luck with FedEx and their signature gathering. I use to receive a monthly shipment that legally required a singature by an adult 21 or over. Most of the time when they actually got a signature it was from our 17-18 year old baby sitters. On the last shipment ( I canceled the service due them not allowing me to use another delivery service) they left one notice and then returned the shipment back to the sender.

This goes beyond the vendor. There have been many times I have received UPS, USPS, and FedEx packages or envelopes that have "signature required" stickers on them and they have been left in the mailbox, or at the door. At one of my old jobs we used to ship about 125 packages a day by UPS, and when we filed claims for non-delivery, they almost never had a signature on them.

While I agree it would be nice if CTD added the option to request a signature to their web order form, considering my past experience with delivery companies, I don't think it would really make a difference.

ps: That video is great. You should see FedEx or UPS delivering multiple packages to a loading dock.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Links