Survival/HD Rifle --- need input please

This is a discussion on Survival/HD Rifle --- need input please within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys, I'm stocking up for an eventual SHTF situation. Not because I believe it will happen anytime soon, but with overpopulation, disease, terrorists, you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Survival/HD Rifle --- need input please

Survival/HD Rifle --- need input please

Hey guys,

I'm stocking up for an eventual SHTF situation. Not because I believe it will happen anytime soon, but with overpopulation, disease, terrorists, you never know

I've got my two handguns, one for me and one for wifey, and a 12 gauge. I think I need a rifle of some sort, ideally an assault rifle, in case I am attacked from long range (I know, not likely, but still). It might also have to do double-duty hunting small-game (Whitetails, Coyotes, Rabbits) if worst really came to worst.

That said, I was in Big 5 today and saw this:
    DPMS 16" Sportical

First, does anyone have any input on DPMS? Second, I have hunted deer before, and usually use a .243. Is it possible to bring down a deer with a 5.56, like maybe a 62gr FMJ?

Please let me know what ya'll think!

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Just for shear close-in, tough, reliable, cheap ammo, cheap to buy, then that would be an AK. However, you mentioned "attacked from long range", so you ought to have something you can put optics on/off easily. I think the DPMS you mentioned ought to be fine. You can definitely kill a deer with it.

I'm not a big proponent of hunting during SHTF, it seems like everyone would have that idea, no matter the time of day or season. Too many hungry people in the woods with rifles and they might start forgetting about the game and decide to kill me, leaving me dead and stripped down to my underwear and anything else I might have. Then there is my family off somewhere, wondering why I havent returned with some squirrels. I like the idea of staying nearby with ample food, and safety in numbers. Granted, hunting may work out well for some folks. It just depends on a lot of things.

Good luck with your purchase.
    barstoolguru and nerdyvirgin like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    As stated above, I think the AR platform would work well for what you are needing/wanting it for.

As far as life and sustenance after SHTF, I'm also inclined to agree with ppkheat...hunting would only be good for so long and probably not the best idea all around. Real survival will come from the ability to farm, both plants and livestock.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

lots of good and choices. used or build yourself is kind of fun also. the one I currently have is a relatively cheap DPMS AP4. shoots great. love it. i think i paid about $850 after transfer fee from Bud's. you can buy even cheaper also and add what you want as you learn (and can afford).

I'd add a decent 22lr to your bug-out gun bag also. I'd bet that would be the rifle you'd use the most if the country went TU.

I have wondered if it would be worthwhile to develop archery skills for when SHTF. My thinking is that the sound of gunfire would draw attention. Here's a link to someone else's thoughts on the subject: The Best SHTF Gun Finally Revealed!
    beararms likes this.

I like my SKS!
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

The shot gun you have with slugs or buckshot will take care of most hunting needs. As a SHTF rifle it should work fine but before you buy look around a bit and see if you can get used and save some money

The Sportical is not a bad little rifle, despite what you will hear some people say on some of the AR forums, but it is a very entry level AR. It does not have a dust cover, casing deflector, forward assist, chrome lined chamber or bore, or a plated bolt carrier. Do those features matter in a life or death SHTF situation? Probably not. Could they make your life easier? Maybe. I think DPMS makes a relatively good quality firearm, but the fact of the matter is when you are shopping at the lowest end of the price spectrum for AR's, if you spend just a little bit more coin, you get quite a bit more in the way of features. Whatever route you decide to go, I think you are smart for considering something chambered in 5.56. If it becomes a true EOTWAWKI situation and all order is lost, 5.56 should be the most plentiful and easy to scavenge rifle round since the M4/16 is the standard military individually issued weapon. Having magazine and ammo interchangeability with the " good guys" would probably be a good thing.

Do your research and you will quickly find your own personal balance point between features and price.

+1 on adding a .22LR rifle into the mix, with a mix of high-velocity and subsonic rounds. Probably the best tool for putting meat on the table. Taking out a deer or other large game definitely will fill the freezer, but if you're power out, you'll have to find other ways to preserve it. A .22 is perfect for shooting table-sized portions - furry or feathered - and the ammo is cheap and easy to carry and store a couple thousand rounds. With subsonics you can do so without inviting attention.

It's possible to take a deer with a 22LR. .223 FMJ? Maybe. Assault rifles and hunting rifles? They can be totally different, or one and the same in ways. I personally think of larger calibers when hunting large game. Maybe that's because I choose to be more humane and down the animal with one well placed shot. There is one caliber I might contemplate for double duty defense and hunting game, and that would be a 7.62x39 to a limit of around 150yds max for game. Many states...hunting with FMJ rounds is illegal. But then again, if the SHTF........it won't matter will it?

Distinguished Member
    I'm rather fond of the S&W M&P 15 Sport and the M&P 15-22 as a complimentary pair. Identical manual of arms for both a 5.56mm and a 22LR, so it's inexpensive to train for both firearms. Add a 5.56 suppressor (if your state and budget allow) and you've got a can that will work for both weapons. BTW: sound suppression is a good idea for both applications... IMHO.

VIP Member
    A 5.56 platform is the best idea. If you choose an AR type look into a .22 caliber conversion kit. It would save a little money over a completely new rifle.

Spend the rest on ammo.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I like the AR platform because you buy different UPPERS for cheap. Can have a varmint type for hunting or a M4 style for defense. They can be swapped out easily too.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

I have a DPMS Oracle, ive upgraded a few things on it to make it more reliable and reduce recoil. Its a good AR15 and eats any kind of ammo that I feed it, and so far has been very reliable. I would recommend it to anyone.

sgb
    I have multiple AR's in various configurations, one of the great advantages to the AR platform is the ability to re-purpose your AR or change caliber by simply swapping out the upper. A 5.56 AR and add an additional 6.8 spcII upper and you're good to go. The 6.8 SpcII gives .270 Winchester performance out of your Ar.

As to DPMS, not a fan myself. In the same price range I'd opt for the Smith & Wesson Sport.
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links