how many of you have kids and no safes?

This is a discussion on how many of you have kids and no safes? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; my wife and i recently became gun owners and my permit/license should be arriving in the mail any day now. and before anyone gets too ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: how many of you have kids and no safes?

my wife and i recently became gun owners and my permit/license should be arriving in the mail any day now. and before anyone gets too upset, we ARE planning on getting at least one safe. but for now all of our money is going towards a new place. we're expecting(a boy!!) and we have a nine year old. now this 9 y.o. is not your typical boy. he's not rebellious or mischievous at all. he pretty much isn't interested in anything but his toys. he's definitely not where i was, mentally when i was nine. and that's fine. i've talked with him about the difference between his nerf gun and our real guns and what they could do in untrained hands. i've told him when i think he's ready, we'll go to an outdoor range(i think it'll be way less scary than an indoor for his first) and he'll see, hear and feel what they do in person and we can go from there. i've also drilled him on what to do in case he sees one: 1, don't touch it, 2, get out of where the gun is located and 3, tell me or mom. i don't remember if it was a link on here or just browsing on youtube, but i'm pretty sure it was a clint smith video. so, basically i'm looking for some feedback on how you guys handle the guns with kids thing at your homes. thanks in advance.

My opinion: Buy a gun safe/case NOW. You can get a small lockable case for just over $20 (Center of mass.com)

If you can afford a gun you should be able to spare $20-$30.

I have a 9 year old and a 13 year old. They know there are guns in my safe and they are not to touch it. (Curious or not I would NEVER consider having a gun not locked away.)
    ccman, TheShadow, NH_Esau and 1 others like this.

My kids are 10 and 12 and I have no safe. Guns are either on my wife and I or in my closet. I take them to the range bi-monthly and they know what each gun and caliber can do. The guns aren't forbidden fruit. If their friends come over, that's different - handguns are on the wife and I and the long guns are locked in the bedroom.
    accessbob likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

I believe all handguns come with a cable lock or trigger lock of some sort. While they don't keep kids from picking up the gun, they do ensure it can't be discharged.
    My opinion is that if the gun is out of my control, it should always be unloaded and locked. I know some would disagree, but that's the rule at our house.
    BTW, we have three kids; all under 8.
    Foo909 likes this.

I have a 6 year old boy and an about to be 2 year old girl. I don't have a safe. The .22 and the 12 gauge stay in the top of our closet and the pistol is either on me or on top of the chest of drawers. My son knows better than to mess with them unless he has my permission and I let him shoot the .22 whenever he asks(supervised with 1 bullet at a time). My daughter is not allowed in our bedroom without me or the wife. Growing up we never had guns in a safe they were in an unlocked gun cabinet in the living room and when I was old enough I had a gun-rack hanging on my bedroom wall for mine. Guns were never exotic or off-limits they were just another thing around the house. Of course gun rules and safe handling were taught and ingrained from a very early age.
    mano3 and goldshellback like this.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

I also have kids 2 girls ages 10 and 7. And a boy almost 2. Both of my girls have been to the range and have shot a variety of weapons. I also do not own a safe. I was raised around guns as were all my friends with no safes around. Granted they are all unloaded with the exception of my EDC. I believe in not making them something to be something to be feared and hidden away bit a tool. And all tools are to be respected as mishandling any tool will result in someone or yourself getting seriously injured or dead.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

The simple thing to do if you can't buy the safe you want now is to put a dead bolt on a good closet door, and keep it locked. Best in your bedroom, but even the coat closet is better than nothing. Enough said I hope.

My children are 29-35 by now I had safes before we had them. Now I have Grandchildren in and out of here.
    You can buy a very good nano vault or one like it for 25-32 dollars all day long. It does not need to be Fort Knox .
    Latter when you have the cash a nice Bio safe may be nice you can open them quick in the dark.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    1-get a safe evenif ts a gun vault for a draw or attached to the bed. key/biometric combo. now

2- he is 9 and you are behind in his being able to handle a firearm. by 7 he should have been with a ruger 10-22
    or similiar rifle. the 4 rules and a brick a month down range.
    by 10ish handling a single six type and under close supervision plinking 50 rounds each time you go out with the rifle.

different ages for how the child will take to certain aspects of the hobby at different times.
    9 for some, 11 for most and some will want to twirl ( heaven help...) so they are never.

safe, right....get one soon and learn to pick up the house before bed so if something goes bump in the night,
    it wont be you tripping over toys in the middle of the floor.

good luck with the baby
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

thanks for the replies fellas. i don't feel so bad now. like some of you implied, we are teaching him that it's a tool used to protect our family and/or someone else in danger. and when at the range, and only the range, it can be fun. as long as your mindful of what you are doing. and supervised by us, obviously. i feel the more you try to hide it, the more they're gonna want it. about putting the cable lock through the gun and putting them away, that won't work for us. i alternate the 2 guns we have, xdm 3.8 9mm compact and a pf9. i take one with me in the car in the center console or glove box since i don't have the permit yet. and the other stays at home where my wife can use it if need be. so it's not like we just have them to have them.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    I don't have kids but I still own a safe. I work nights and I worry about someone breaking in and stealing my guns. I live in safe neighborhood but I would rather be safe than sorry. If I had kids I would just have another good reason to have a safe. I only own a few pistols so I have no need for a big safe. I have a small Bulldog safe that I have bolted down in my closet and does the job for me.

You can get Nano gun vaults at Amazon -- $22-$37 2 have free shipping
    Amazon.com: nono gun vault
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    I keep my guns in a safe and I don't even have any kids 0_o. Even in a locked room it is very foolish to leave them with children in the household. I couldn't tell you how many times I could open any locked door I wanted with a small knife/gift card/screwdriver at age 10.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I have a son and a massive very expensive gun safe. Why? Mainly for a theft deterrent but also because I know how nosy I was as a youngin'.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I have two daughters 5 and 7, me and the wife both carry, shotty in the corner by my night stand, AR15 on the opposite.. XDm 3.8 9mm on the head board, her LCR in the living room in her purse, our EDC's in bed holsters, and my 642 in my truck.. I have a safe with the rest of my guns locked away, but my girls have been around guns their whole life, they will only touch a gun if asked, or at the range. With that said, if their friends or other family comes over, I trust none of them, everything but our EDC's get lock away! My wife and daughters have my full trust, but I'm not taking the chance of someone's kids playing cops and robbers while I'm at work! Curiosity will kill anything when it comes to any destructive tool! +1 on the toys, moved tables, shoes, ect.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links