OK to always have hammer cocked

This is a discussion on OK to always have hammer cocked within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I carry a beretta jetfire single action front pocket carry cocked with a round in the chamber and safety on. I have also been storing ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By goldshellback
  • 1 Post By fernset

Thread: OK to always have hammer cocked

OK to always have hammer cocked

I carry a beretta jetfire single action front pocket carry cocked with a round in the chamber and safety on. I have also been storing it like that. I have been told that this will weaken the hammer spring in time. Is this true or can I keep it in this condition.

2. Remove Ads

Using the spring (i.e., firing it, cocking and uncocking it, etc.) is what weakens it. Leaving it cocked won't hurt it. Now, the Jetfire I know nothing about, but, most single action auto-loaders (that I'm familar with anyways) are designed to be carried cocked-n-locked. I think some of our other members can answer that portion of your querry better than I.
    dV8r likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Shoot it every so often to see that it goes bang, if you are worried replace the spring. I have had my 1911 cocked since 2001 and shoot it often it still goes bang when requested.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    much the same as the sig 238, without a palm safety i would not trust that
    type of gun in a pocket....holster aside, no

the K-T p32 in a Holdster style is smaller, lighter and has more rounds and is safe in the pocket

----as has been said; springs wear out by being cycled.
    though leaf type i change out every 5 years weather they are giving any indications of failour or not
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Old age gets me, is the Jetfire the 21 or the 950. One's Minx, one's Jetfire and I can never remember which. If you had the option, I think the 21 in double action would be safer, but you're not likely to wear out the hammer spring.

In any case, shoot it and if it shows problems replace the spring, alomg with the recoil springs, they're cheap.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    much the same as the sig 238, without a palm safety i would not trust that
    type of gun in a pocket....holster aside, no

the K-T p32 in a Holdster style is smaller, lighter and has more rounds and is safe in the pocket

----as has been said; springs wear out by being cycled.
    though leaf type i change out every 5 years weather they are giving any indications of failour or not
    I have tested it by carrying in a holster with an empty chamber and have no reason not to trust it as of yet. Have tested it with and without the saftey and have never seen found the hammer down. While obviously not the ideal choice for pocket carry its what I have for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Old age gets me, is the Jetfire the 21 or the 950. One's Minx, one's Jetfire and I can never remember which. If you had the option, I think the 21 in double action would be safer, but you're not likely to wear out the hammer spring.

In any case, shoot it and if it shows problems replace the spring, alomg with the recoil springs, they're cheap.
    It is the 950.

I have recently started carrying a 950 Jetfire (the same pistol in .22 short is the Minx). When I get my P3AT repaired (it's been good for a lot of years, a lot of miles, and a few thousand rounds) I may or may not retire the 950. I've grown rather attached to it. If yours has the safety then yours is the 950 BS. Mine was made in 1966 and does not feature the thumb safety (which I believe was added to comply with the 1968 Gun Control Act). Anyway, I carry mine hammer down (half-cock, actually just to ensure there's absolutely no protrusion of the firing pin) in my front pocket in a holster. For me, the motion of drawing it passes my thumb right over the hammer so cocking it on the draw is a very natural motion. Again that's for me with my hand, my thumb, etc. Your mileage may and probably does vary. A lot of folks I hear have trouble getting that tiny safety flipped off and they tend to be very stiff. I've even heard of some folks staking or at least supergluing their safety down so it won't accidentally be engaged. They then carry hammer-down and cock upon drawing. Oh, the safest way to decock, you've probably figured out, is to first tip the barrel up, cover the round in the chamber with your thumb, then lower the hammer with the other thumb while pulling the trigger. That way if you slip, no discharge.

Anyway, if your safety is manageable, if you can hit it every time when practicing, and since you're using a pocket holster that presumably protects the trigger, I'd say lock-n-load, my friend. _I_ prefer hammer-down (and when carried left-handed as I often do that's really my only option), but since yours is the later model with the safety and assuming all the above, I don't see a problem. As others have mentioned, it shouldn't hurt the springs.

These are great little guns, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by CeltKnight View Post
    I have recently started carrying a 950 Jetfire (the same pistol in .22 short is the Minx). When I get my P3AT repaired (it's been good for a lot of years, a lot of miles, and a few thousand rounds) I may or may not retire the 950. I've grown rather attached to it. If yours has the safety then yours is the 950 BS. Mine was made in 1966 and does not feature the thumb safety (which I believe was added to comply with the 1968 Gun Control Act). Anyway, I carry mine hammer down (half-cock, actually just to ensure there's absolutely no protrusion of the firing pin) in my front pocket in a holster. For me, the motion of drawing it passes my thumb right over the hammer so cocking it on the draw is a very natural motion. Again that's for me with my hand, my thumb, etc. Your mileage may and probably does vary. A lot of folks I hear have trouble getting that tiny safety flipped off and they tend to be very stiff. I've even heard of some folks staking or at least supergluing their safety down so it won't accidentally be engaged. They then carry hammer-down and cock upon drawing. Oh, the safest way to decock, you've probably figured out, is to first tip the barrel up, cover the round in the chamber with your thumb, then lower the hammer with the other thumb while pulling the trigger. That way if you slip, no discharge.

Anyway, if your safety is manageable, if you can hit it every time when practicing, and since you're using a pocket holster that presumably protects the trigger, I'd say lock-n-load, my friend. _I_ prefer hammer-down (and when carried left-handed as I often do that's really my only option), but since yours is the later model with the safety and assuming all the above, I don't see a problem. As others have mentioned, it shouldn't hurt the springs.

These are great little guns, aren't they?
    I am honestly quite fond of the gun. I know ill hit what Im aiming at with the SA trigger. I actually had more difficulty with cocking the hammer quickly and quietly. My safety is quite manageable and doesn't seem like it would be an issue.

Thanks all for the info.
    CeltKnight likes this.

I've carried a 950 in .25 with Winchester X point ammo before. I'm a fan of both designs but you have to practice your malfuction clearance drill. If you "tap rack" like you're used to things get worse.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    If you "tap rack" like you're used to things get worse.
    +1! I once sold a Beretta 21 (double action somewhat similar to the 950) in .22 to a fellow officer. Dude was a "I know!, Been there, done that!" kinda guy. You know the type. Well, one evening while showing his wife the piece, he "cleared" it by removing the mag and racking the slide. Well, he forgot the first and last rule of firearm handling. He assumed it was unloaded and when he pulled the trigger (because Mr. Know It All didn't see a problem dryfiring a rimfire) the barrel was pointed at his left hand. Well, he recovered from the hole through his hand but caught hell from EVERYONE for a long time.

+1! I once sold a Beretta 21 (double action somewhat similar to the 950) in .22 to a fellow officer. Dude was a "I know!, Been there, done that!" kinda guy. You know the type. Well, one evening while showing his wife the piece, he "cleared" it by removing the mag and racking the slide. Well, he forgot the first and last rule of firearm handling. He assumed it was unloaded and when he pulled the trigger (because Mr. Know It All didn't see a problem dryfiring a rimfire) the barrel was pointed at his left hand. Well, he recovered from the hole through his hand but caught hell from EVERYONE for a long time.

So what would be proper technique for this pistol

There are a couple of reasons you can work the spring. Someone said when the spring gets work too much it will break. This is more so in mags then hammer springs. Hammer springs are made of a higher grade of steel and are heat treated differently. Let’s face it if they were made of cheep steel they would not be able to be to flex tens thousands of times

Just an FYI the number of twists in a spring makes aids in the life of the spring too

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    So what would be proper technique for this pistol
    The Jetfire and Minx (950) and the Model 21 (the DA version for lack of a better description) do not, in fact, have extractors. They actually use the same pressure that moves the slide back to push out the tiny cartridge cases (.22 and .25). While this seem questionable to some, it happens to work and works, in fact, quite well.
    The proper way to unload either model pistol is to remove the magazine then flip the lever behind the left side of the trigger, tipping the barrel up and revealing the chamber. Then simply dump the round out. If one has a misfire, the best way I've found to get the pistol back into action is to hit the lever, tilt the weapon (usually just allowing the barrel to flip up will sling the errant round out) give it a shake, close the barrel, rack the slide, and resume.

The Jetfire and Minx (950) and the Model 21 (the DA version for lack of a better description) do not, in fact, have extractors. They actually use the same pressure that moves the slide back to push out the tiny cartridge cases (.22 and .25). While this seem questionable to some, it happens to work and works, in fact, quite well.
    The proper way to unload either model pistol is to remove the magazine then flip the lever behind the left side of the trigger, tipping the barrel up and revealing the chamber. Then simply dump the round out. If one has a misfire, the best way I've found to get the pistol back into action is to hit the lever, tilt the weapon (usually just allowing the barrel to flip up will sling the errant round out) give it a shake, close the barrel, rack the slide, and resume.
    Very interesting. I didn't know it didn't have an extractor. Thought never would have occurred to me.

Links