Firearms Myths by James Yeager - Page 2

Firearms Myths by James Yeager

This is a discussion on Firearms Myths by James Yeager within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; He didn't appear to be doing anything while in the ditch either. I was under the impression the vehicle he was in was still operable....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Firearms Myths by James Yeager

He didn't appear to be doing anything while in the ditch either. I was under the impression the vehicle he was in was still operable.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SickMAK90 View Post
    He didn't appear to be doing anything while in the ditch either. I was under the impression the vehicle he was in was still operable.
    From the AAR, it was a manual and after sitting for so long he took it out of gear and put the e-brake on. Under fire he wasn't able to get the brake off, in gear and moving. Vehicle 2 (the only armored vehicle of the 3) started to move but had sustained damage to the transmission which is why it stopped.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

I've read a little about Yeager. He seems to be a controversial guy, at least in forums. I'm certainly not going to critique his actions in Iraq from the safety of my office here at home. He seemed to make some good points in this video.
    Secret Spuk and tacman605 like this.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Seems like the man has a huge ego. My gut feeling.
    Guest1 likes this.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

I commend him for his service. Sure he's for an ego but who doesn't have it somewhat? I saw nothing in the video that blames him for getting his team members killed.

When the shooting started, the car didn't move. He blamed it originally on the transmission be destroyed when he actually had it out of gear with the e-brake on. This very easily could have gotten someone killed.

I hate when this topic comes up. I try my hardest to keep my mouth shut, but just can't. The fact that what he did played a part or didn't get his team members killed is irrelevant. He did not follow SOP by putting the e-brake on and taking it out of gear. When things went bad, he bailed on his teammates and that IS INEXCUSABLE. Then, after the fact, he spoke badly of those same teammates, basically blaming the death on them as they did nothing but party, then blamed Edinburgh for not giving them the right gear and vehicles, etc.

If you cannot stay in the fight, DO NOT take the job. I hate what he did and I hate what he said after. Just read the AAR and his separate account of it. Your team is your life. Imagine if there was a client in that car and he ran away?

Now, this does not mean he's not a good trainer. He has a lot of certificates with his name on it and a lot of training. He can teach quite well. On that same note, I think he teaches some things that might not be appropriate for your average civilian. But, it is what it is.

I'm friends with a few well known trainers and not one seems to have much respect for him. Obviously I won't say who as that's not my place, but I respect their opinions.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    I commend him for his service. Sure he's for an ego but who doesn't have it somewhat? I saw nothing in the video that blames him for getting his team members killed.
    He didn't serve. He was a small town cop then hired on with a British company.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

aka: Ol' twitchy shoulder
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

VIP Member
    You realise this is the same guy that got team members killed because he could'nt give orders,and "STOPPED" a detail on a road in Iraq,and don't bring into question my experience,I was there,3 times with USMC,1 privately. I would'nt let this guy train my dog to sit!

Wow and you got your information from where? Did you watch the same video and read the same documents? As has been stated Yeager was not the team leader. He stopped on Route Irish because there were checkpoints ahead and all the traffic had stopped in Iraq you do not run checkpoints as they will fire you up in a heartbeat. They took fire from a PKM belt fed machine gun while sitting in an unarmored vehicle not a good position to be in but since you have been there you should know these things.

In reference to your comment about the camera. He did not remove any camera. If you in fact watched and critiqued this as you said the camera was not even in Yeager's vehicle it was in the armored vehicle with Yeager's vehicle on the right hand side of the screen. Again what video did you watch?

If you read the AAR he was very critical of company policies, issued equipment, vehicles and everything down the line that lead up to the ambush and the deaths. Yes the company sued and did not win the lawsuit was dropped in exchange for a non disclosure agreement. I realize everyone has an opinion and they are entitled to that opinion but base that opinion on facts not spouting off at the mouth with inaccurate statements.

If you have been there with the Corps and as a armed contractor then you surely have travelled Route Irish and are familiar with it's hazards. It was deemed the most dangerous 6 mile stretch of road in the world but keep in mind there is a difference in going down the road in a HUMVEE or Stryker and an unarmored BMW.
    I have never trained with Yeager, have no investment in his school but you need to get the facts straight before you start bashing someone over events that you were not privy to.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    From the AAR, it was a manual and after sitting for so long he took it out of gear and put the e-brake on. Under fire he wasn't able to get the brake off, in gear and moving. Vehicle 2 (the only armored vehicle of the 3) started to move but had sustained damage to the transmission which is why it stopped.
    I guess his poor little foot got tired sitting there with it on the brake.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    When the shooting started, the car didn't move. He blamed it originally on the transmission be destroyed when he actually had it out of gear with the e-brake on. This very easily could have gotten someone killed.

I hate when this topic comes up. I try my hardest to keep my mouth shut, but just can't. The fact that what he did played a part or didn't get his team members killed is irrelevant. He did not follow SOP by putting the e-brake on and taking it out of gear. When things went bad, he bailed on his teammates and that IS INEXCUSABLE. Then, after the fact, he spoke badly of those same teammates, basically blaming the death on them as they did nothing but party, then blamed Edinburgh for not giving them the right gear and vehicles, etc.

If you cannot stay in the fight, DO NOT take the job. I hate what he did and I hate what he said after. Just read the AAR and his separate account of it. Your team is your life. Imagine if there was a client in that car and he ran away?

Now, this does not mean he's not a good trainer. He has a lot of certificates with his name on it and a lot of training. He can teach quite well. On that same note, I think he teaches some things that might not be appropriate for your average civilian. But, it is what it is.

I'm friends with a few well known trainers and not one seems to have much respect for him. Obviously I won't say who as that's not my place, but I respect their opinions.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    He didn't serve. He was a small town cop then hired on with a British company.
    He was over there doing a job as a private contractor. I thank him for that then.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    He was over there doing a job as a private contractor. I thank him for that then.
    As do I, I was just trying to be clear about the facts.

The AAR from Yeager and ERSM. Once again come to your own conclusions.

Edinburgh Risk & Route IRISH / BIAP Road, and | www.MountainRunner.us
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    I guess his poor little foot got tired sitting there with it on the brake.
    Actually if I remember the AAR right, he had it in gear with his foot on the clutch for about 10 mins (and if you've ever driven a manual you know having your foot down that long your leg will start it to ache and tremor) that's when he took it out of gear and put on the e-brake. Why he didn't just take it out of gear, foot off clutch and leave his right foot on the brake I don't know. He did own up to it in his report that it was the wrong thing to do.

Disclaimer: I don't know James and I'm not trying to defend his actions, just trying to put out accurate info.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links