Top Rail Screw Bushing Broke Free *PICS*

This is a discussion on Top Rail Screw Bushing Broke Free *PICS* within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At the suggestion of a couple members on here I decided to loc-tite the three screws on the top rail that sits on the upper ...

Thread: Top Rail Screw Bushing Broke Free *PICS*

At the suggestion of a couple members on here I decided to loc-tite the three screws on the top rail that sits on the upper receiver.
    In doing so and being curious I completely removed the rail to see how it was all put together.
    When I was putting everything back together the bushing type female part that the screw goes into broke free from its hole in the receiver and now it just free spins in the hole and I can't tighten the rail down on top of the receiver.
    I also noticed that a small hexagon washer popped off from inside that really looked like it was never more than either painted on or loc-tight'ed on.
    Needless to say I can't get the washer back in place now.
    The rail sits almost where is should but I can flex it by hand just a little bit downward to where it truly should sit and the screw is no longer flush with the rail.
    I think it might be functional...it just looks like crap.

In the above two pics you can see the underside of the receiver where the holes are drilled. You can also see where the little washer is supposed to be.

The screw where it is currently sitting.

The washer.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

can you drill it and tap it then use a machine screw with a hex head to secure it ?

I thought about that but I'm no gunsmith and I'm trying to keep from doing something like that.

its easy and you have to learn sometime. go to a real hardware store like Elliot’s on maple ave or turner hardware on josey ln that can sell you the machine screw and a tap or tap set and a drill bit. Drill the hole and then use the tap with a little oil and work it in the hole back and forth a little bit at a time and it will cut the threads in it then insert the screw and file off the access

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    im thinking that the thin hex use to be threaded and thats what held it together.
    but garstoolguru has guided you well...very basic proceedure, just work through it b4 you actually do it.

Just a note to anyone that wants to drill and tap a screw whole. Any time you try and drill out a STEEL screw out of pot/investment casted metals the drill bit will walk off the harder surface so a punch is needed to divot the steel first

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Just a note to anyone that wants to drill and tap a screw whole. Any time you try and drill out a STEEL screw out of pot/investment casted metals the drill bit will walk off the harder surface so a punch is needed to divot the steel first
    if someone is not aware of such basics, perhaps the proceedure is not for them, other than as an observer.
    if they do not have gunsmithy screwdrivers, whats next to explain--how to match a screw driver blade to a slot?

OP, i mean you no disrespect. i have no way to know what you do & do not know. so, im just saying...

No disrespect taken....I'm more electronically inclined anyways. I just get by with other other things in the garage. lol

For anyone interested. Sig is replacing the receiver.
    Hopefully it'll be good as new.

if they are replacing the receiver in might be a good time to try your hand at fixing the old one

the easiest way to ensure not messing up the "pot" metal while drilling out a steel rivet pin or bolt is to chuck whatever needs drilled into a very sturdy and straight drill press or chuck a drill bit up in a mill head and take your time. A hand drill will always walk a little bit no matter what even if center punched you will never get it perfect but you can get it good enough depending on standards

Sponsored Links