What should be my next gun?

What should be my next gun?

This is a discussion on What should be my next gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a bonus coming shortly and more than likely going to spend that on a new gun. I am torn on what to get. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What should be my next gun?

Question What should be my next gun?

I have a bonus coming shortly and more than likely going to spend that on a new gun. I am torn on what to get. This would be a fun gun as I already have ccw and home protection covered. I am open to most ideas outside of 9mm (Have that covered with a M&P9c, Sig P228, and Sig P229r).

My initial thoughts were a 5" 1911 or a 4" .357 (sp101 or s&w 686 looks pretty awesome) as I don't have any 1911s or revolvers yet. I also don't have a Glock. I know will have one at some point, everyone does right?

Budget is up to 1k, maybe 20% more or so more on a sweet 1911. I don't have any issues buying used.

What should I get?

1k or little more? Get a SP101 and a Glock. Twice the fun.
    Badey, scgunlover1 and Rollo like this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Here...let me spend that grand for you.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I'd go with the Ruger GP100 in Stainless, with either the 4.2" or 3" barrel...

And do you have a .22LR pistol?

What about a longgun? Maybe a fun AR?

get a glock and 2000 rounds of ammo

It seems you and I have similar taste in handguns. I have:

Sig 228 9mm
    Ruger SP101 .357
    Springfield 1911 Government .45ACP
    Colt 1911 Government .45ACP
    Dan Wesson 1911 Commander .45ACP

I suggest you get a nice 1911.

I don't like Glocks - grip and grip angle is not to my liking, not to mention the trigger.

I suggest you rent a Glock and try it before buying one. I almost bought one as my first handgun and rent one first and found they are not for me.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

If you don't have a 22 that should be the first thing on your list. Then get yourself a 1911 and or a revolver (Ruger or S&W).

You could add a glock but what is it going to do that you can't already do with your M&P or Sigs?
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

If I had a grand laying around burning a hole in my pocket for a fun gun, I would be looking at the G20 or G29. I wouldn't mind having a 10mm for fun.

I too am looking at a Ruger SP101, but I'm also considering the Ruger SR40 (new for just over $400) as my next guns... Both really nice guns and the reviews on the SR series have been fantastic, and the SP101 has become a classic (introduced in 1989). I was also considering the Stoeger/Beretta Cougar, just wish that it came in a 4" barrel.

I currently have 2 Kel-Tecs the P-11 (9mm) and the P3AT (.380 pocket pistol).

I recently shot a friends Walther P22, boy, I did forget what fun a .22 can be and how cheap the ammo is!

Some observations on your armory:
    - Your inventory is definitely biased toward compact guns - time for a full-sized guy.
    - You have an M&P, a Glock won't represent anything really different
    - You're also locked in on 9mm
    - As noted, no wheelguns

A few thoughts:
    - While I'm a big 1911 fan, its grip angle, single action trigger and cocked-and-locked carry differ substantially from the guns you currently employ. You might not want to introduce something that runs counter to your experience and/or training.
    - Next, without trying to make this a testosterone issue, you might want to expand your handgunning experience to include a more "vigorous" caliber. That could mean a caliber that starts with a 4 or which has "magnum" as part of the name. There's nothing quite like the big (but easy) "push" of a .45 Colt compared to a 9mm!
    - Also consider utility. Chances are you won't have to worry about mountain lion or bear attacks in Toledo, but if you head off to the hinterlands you might. A SHTF situation might also call for something more powerful than a 9mm... I'm thinking .357 Magnum here.

Overall, I think you're a candidate for a .357 mag revolver or a full-size 10mm auto.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909
    And do you have a .22LR pistol?
    Yes the wife has a Ruger SR22 Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Crashoften View Post
    What about a longgun? Maybe a fun AR?
    Have a shotgun. Definitely want an AR but as of right now, I wouldn't have place to shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday
    If I had a grand laying around burning a hole in my pocket for a fun gun, I would be looking at the G20 or G29. I wouldn't mind having a 10mm for fun.
    Something I have toyed around with. 10mm does intrigue me.

I'd go for a decent 1911 like a Springfield that will allow you to stay under $1k. That's just me, because I would like a 1911 as I already have a polymer gun.

VIP Member
    4" GP-100 and a Ruger Mark III.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

How about a gen 4 Glock G32 to play around with? Same as .357Mag ballistics with the 125gr bullets. Can also get a spare barrel in .40SW that drops in. Uses the same mags. I got bored with my 9mms and got a G32. Now it's my EDC. If you don't like it, then sell it. Won't set you back as much as a Sig.

Or a Glock in 10mm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links