Inherited rifles

Inherited rifles

This is a discussion on Inherited rifles within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In the 80s when my father was stricken with MS, I inherited his arsenal. It wasn't many firearms, but a nice collection of a .308, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Inherited rifles

Inherited rifles

In the 80s when my father was stricken with MS, I inherited his arsenal. It wasn't many firearms, but a nice collection of a .308, .22 LR, 30-30, and a shotgun. After he died, they haven't seen too much action, as I didn't feel right using them, but could never bear the thought of anyone else owning them. So they've sat in my gun cabinet over my (and my wife's) several moves. Recently, I decided to take them out and clean them and noticed the magazine missing from my .22LR. I probably removed it and stored it somewhere during a move...and either lost it or is packed away somewhere 'safe', but unknown to me. It makes me sick to my stomach that I (at least for now) have lost it....I'm hoping it will turn up somewhere.

Regardless, I'd like to purchase a new mag (maybe 2) for it and the .308.

My first question is (not that I'm looking to sell) how valuable are each of the firearms? I know my father was an avid hunter, but he and my mom didn't have a ton of cash early on, but this was my dad's main hobby/pastime, but not sure of the quality and rarity of his firearms. Could someone give some opinions.

My other question is, where's a good place to purchase magazines. Ideally, I'd like to buy OEM (not aftermarket) parts, but understand they are most likely rare and more expensive. I'm OK with that.

Here's the makes/models
    Winchester Model 100 .308 auto
    Mossberg Model 352K .22 LR auto
    Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight 20 gauge (pump)
    Marlin Model 336 30-30 (lever)

Thanks!

I'm no firearm valuation expert, but I would suspect that the Winchester is the most valuable of the bunch. For firearms, condition is the biggest driver of value, so you may want to provide that if others come along that know more.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    TWIN PINE WINCHESTER 100 MAGAZINES - Brownells

For a rough evaluation on price, you could look them up on gunbroker and see what similar items are selling for.

VIP Member
    Check out this link and go a little more than halfway down.

Mossberg .22 Rifle Parts

There's your .22 mags.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I didn't feel right using them, but could never bear the thought of anyone else owning them. So they've sat in my gun cabinet
    I would have been surprised to hear this is what he wanted; to hand down guns just to have them sit. No man passes along a part of his legacy just so someone can store it. The biggest joys in passing down a part of someone is for the recipient to enjoy it
    phreddy, Bark'n and aznav like this.

VIP Member
    They are currently sold out but keep checking back with them. Good source of parts for many old or obsolete firearms.

Magazine, .22 Cal., Adjustable for Short, Long & Long Rifle, Original,. 7 Round
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I lost my dad to MS as well, and the only gun I inherited from him was HIS father's Winchester 1890 pump .22... but I treasure it. It doesn't get a lot of use because it's chambered in .22 Long, but it sure won't remain unused. Think of your dad fondly and smile at how great it was for him to leave you these guns. They're all soild guns and keepers.

I suspect you'll be able to find the magazines you need without too much hassle.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    3 .22 Mags for sale on ebay. Buy it now 50 smacks ecah though. Here is a link to that auction.
    A small amount of light surface rust on he one showing. Shouldn't affect the function at all though. New Old Stock.

magazine 3235 for 22lr 7 round Mossberg Model # 352,352K,353 | eBay

You might also check Numrich Arms Corp.

This ebay seller has 10 spanky new .308 original mags - price is $160,00 each though. You might be able to do better than that. they are wiser mags and are quite good. I think the .308 & .243 mags are the same if that helps any.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Winchester-M...item460040233b
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Here is the link for the winchester mags at Numrich. They are currently sold out though.

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

Numrich is a great source for hard to find parts. They also have schematics online.

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry about your dad.

Administrator
    Numrich Arms - "They are currently sold out though."

That's a huge problem with Numrich Arms. When they are SOLD OUT....Don't hold your breath waiting for something to come back into stock.
    Basically you "luck out" and they already have it or they don't.

drop these guys a line and see if they might help

The Old Western Scrounger LLC.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Numrich Arms - "They are currently sold out though."

That's a huge problem with Numrich Arms. When they are SOLD OUT....Don't hold your breath waiting for something to come back into stock.
    Basically you "luck out" and they already have it or they don't.
    I have only bought from them one time, a trigger assembly for an old springfield 22. I had to wait about a month for them to get it in stock. I might have been lucky, but they did get it in.

Thanks for all the feedback. I made a couple calls and sent a few emails this weekend. Looks like both types of mags are out there, I either have to pay top dollar or go aftermarket.

By the way Phreddy, I lived in spartanburg for a few years from 2004-2006 (and Greenville from 2000-2004). Nice towns.

That Ithaca is a real nice shooter, I had one. I only got rid of mine as it was older and I couldn't change barrels or chokes. Mine was traded in for something, I think they resold it for about $300? Probably worth more to you than the average buyer, I'd guess.
    aznav likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links