Selling out of the car?

Selling out of the car?

This is a discussion on Selling out of the car? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In the past 6 months or so, I have traded/sold several guns from my car after contacting folks who have posted on Armslist.com and am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Selling out of the car?

Selling out of the car?

In the past 6 months or so, I have traded/sold several guns from my car after contacting folks who have posted on Armslist.com and am wondering just how safe, or not, it is to be doing this. I have only met good guys so far, but who knows? This has always come after a number of E-mails, back & forth, plus phone calls. And I have the person's address and then check an ID before the deal is completed; plus a bill of sale. Any of you present/former LEO's have advice; or any others want to jump on this? Thanks.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I'm not sure of the legalities of it but if you do it enough you're going to run into the wrong guy at some point.
    ericb327 and Spirit51 like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I'm not sure of the legalities of it but if you do it enough you're going to run into the wrong guy at some point.
    The legality will depend on state laws. As long as both people are from the same state, and follow the laws of that state it shouldn't a problem.

As far as doing it often, I'd try to limit it, because of the type of people you might run into.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Could say the same thing about going to the quick trip to pick up a gallon of milk after work.

Michael
    Philly Boy likes this.

I do it all the time in Indiana. Never really worried about it much. I assume that since I am there selling a gun there is a good chance the other guy knows I am carrying one as well. Just keep your eyes open and pay attention.
    Philly Boy, sid1 and dV8r like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I've done it a couple times and I just bring along a friend. On the other hand though it doesn't really make sense for a criminal to set up an appointment to rob someone who he knows has firearms on him, easier prey out there. But ya I think as long as you bring a friend and meet in a public area you're pretty much good to go.
    mlr1m likes this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Take a pic of the lic plate and the person without them knowing in case something does go wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    In the past 6 months or so, I have traded/sold several guns from my car after contacting folks who have posted on Armslist.com and am wondering just how safe, or not, it is to be doing this. I have only met good guys so far, but who knows? This has always come after a number of E-mails, back & forth, plus phone calls. And I have the person's address and then check an ID before the deal is completed; plus a bill of sale. Any of you present/former LEO's have advice; or any others want to jump on this? Thanks.
    Look.........you can get a yellow sheet from any local FFL and have the buyer fill it out for your records if you want to.
    Armslist.....guntrader.com?
    I've bought, sold, traded guns for a lot longer than you have ever thought about it more than likely. Online, in person, at gun shows....etc.
    "Safe".......you want to feel safe? When and where do you want to feel safe? Listen......if you have any second thoughts about what you're doing as a free and law-abiding citizen at any time.....quit doing what you're doing. Plain and simple. I've always been good on a trade or buy and sell without much question. You get to that point over time where you know. If you're unsure, then you're a newbie and nervous simply based on scruples when you want to sell and make some cash. I'll show my permit to anyone if buying (if they care if I'm a fine upstanding citizen). I've sold a shotgun at a garage sale before. Personal firearms trading, bartering, etc.............is still a free enterprise here in America. If you want to narrow your chances of selling to a bad guy.....then don't sell anything. Simple piece of paper is good enough if your sold weapon happens to be used in a crime 5 years later. Heck....look at the big business of law enforcement selling at auction seized weapons......sometimes NFA weapons with little questions asked. I read last Sunday's paper for my area. Law enforcement auctions of seized weapons peeked an interest with me. Thing is....even the ATF doesn't seem to have any answers for the distribution of these weapons. If the government can't uphold any criteria for confiscated firearms....what makes you think you need to take responsibility selling your property? How many guns has the FBI "lost" in the past year and can't account for? Why do you feel the need to record or screen each and every transaction? Either keep doing what you're doing or get out of the firearms trade all together. Just my silly advice. Don't beat yourself up over it. Still a free country.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Take a pic of the lic plate and the person without them knowing in case something does go wrong
    If I caught someone doing that to me as we were doing a transaction it would immediately put me on edge and I would probably just leave as quick as possible.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

The guy at the quick trip didn't set you up,know your coming,and waiting for you.The same? Its not safe ,your playing right into the hands of a bad guy sooner or later.

Thanks for all the responses. Appreciate it.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I bought a nine foot long drop tank with fins from a guy who lives 300 miles away. We met in a busy mall parking lot in Sacramento, the state capitol. We did the deal and moved it from his van to a Yukon, it wasn't outside long, but i half expected to meet the local cops that day.

I would have no problem meeting face to face like that with an active, known member of one of the forums I'm on. I've done it numerous times actually, but never from some site specifically for firearms sales.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I've bought and sold from forum members and from some non-forum members.
    I've bought and sold from home and from my car...never a problem, but I knew something about each buyer ahead of time (forum info, where they work, etc.).
    I make duplicate records of the transfer info and file it away.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've bought, sold, and traded guns like that several times off of a local forum. Never had a problem, met a bunch of cool people.

I do always meet somewhere conspicuous like a Walmart or Home Depot parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Philly Boy likes this.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links