Defensive Carry banner

Procedures to have someone watch firearms.

2K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  mark_taba85 
#1 ·
I am going to PCS/Move to Korea, where personal firearms are not allowed. So I am going to have my sister, who is in VA, watch my firearms while I am away. What are the procedures to do so?

All I can think of is a special power of attorney.

I am currently stationed at Fort Campbell, KY. I will drive to VA with about 8 firearms and thousands of rounds. lol

any assistance is appreciated. thanks in advance

#3 · (Edited)
Power of attorney for firearms? How about a living will, too? :smile:

Other than the transportation aspects which RayBar addressed, there are no special procedures. You're not transferring ownership, you're just asking her to store your property (safely) during your temporary absence. But you consider might a contingency plan, in case the latest Kim-who nutcase in North Korea decides to lob a nuke over the line - who gets your guns if you don't come back?

#4 · (Edited)
Uh, don't interstate transfers of handguns have to go through an FFL?

I'm not sure that giving her possession even with a Special or Limited POA will solve that problem.

Otherwise, I kind of like the idea of a limited or special power of attorney. By executing that you make it crystal clear
that you have not actually transferred or gifted anything to her, but merely asked her to act on your behalf during
your absence with regard to safekeeping. I don't know if that would fly with the Federales if you didn't use an FFL and something came to their attention, but at least your intent would be clear.

Its a CYA document and covers hers also, maybe.

A POA disappears upon your death and is not a substitute for a will or a revocable trust which are different instruments.

#5 ·
Ask that they be cleaned if shot and fixed if broke.

You're not doing a permanent transfer of ownership, just securing them while out of country. Not a issue.

Make sure you get your sister something nice while there.

#9 ·
I of course know nothing of your sister's domestic situation but I think you do need some documentation on the weapons as far as ownership and the temporary storage arrangement. If she and a significant other get into any kind of domestic violence situation or something with a neighbor that results in a protection order, you could end up with LEOs having to remove weapons from her home under court order. Without papers getting them back might be quite challenging.

#11 ·
POA ... good idea, and proves she is only storing them for you if something else should come up that you can't anticipate.
Nothing else really needed, but I think that would be a good idea. I would list them in the POA.

I'm assuming, and thought, that Virginia doesn't have any FOID cards or other requirements for Firearm permits to own one or have one. As long as they don't , you should be good.

#12 ·
Do you also have a safe? Liberal coat of oil, dessicant, and stored in a cool, dry environment (running a dehumidifier outside the safe), spin the lock and you're good. I did the same when I PCSd to Germany...left the guns with my brother. Make it simple....don't make it harder....

#13 ·
Isn't pretty much the same as having someone watch your pit bull, German Shepard and Doberman Pinscher dogs??? :rolleyes:

#14 ·
You can talk to your base JA for free - and they'll do any PoAs you need for free as well. No idea how many laws I broke and feelings I hurt during the times I stored everything at mom and dad's house, but they live in a state with fewer restrictions than VA.

#15 ·
When my son deployed to S. Korea the Airforce packet they gave him had blank POA's for everything from his truck to his dog. We just filled in the blanks. The only problem was his Glock 17. I started shooting it and had to have it. Had to buy him another one when he got back.

#16 ·
How long will you be in Korea? Check this out... it might be a good option for you:
Take your guns to your local pawn shop and take out a loan on them for their minimum allowable amount. Then keep paying on the loan every month... and when you get home you just go pick them up. Make sure to tell them your plan first to make sure it's okay... The advantage of doing this is that they'll be locked up in a safe while you're gone, no chance of kids getting to them... and the fee should be pretty small... maybe $5-10 a month.

#17 ·
When my wife and I put our house on the market before we moved from NC, I sent a bunch of my guns back home to my parents' house in MS. I didn't like the idea of every realtor in town and their clients have full access to my house. After we got settled in TN, my parents brought the guns up to me. No forms were involved, but I kicked in a few boxes of 9mm ammo for my dad as a show of appreciation.

#18 ·
I am going to be in Korea for a year. I never wanted to come to Fort Campbell, KY and chose Korea first.

I do not see myself coming back to this place.

I am going to leave it with my sister. I never question her reliability.

I am going to drive to VA during Memorial Day weekend.

#19 ·
I am going to be in Korea for a year. I never wanted to come to Fort Campbell, KY and chose Korea first.
Get involved in something; school, the orphanages, physical activity, tourism, etc. Stay away from the sauce, many careers have been left at the bottom of a Soju bottle. Save as much as you can; don't blow your money on the latest greatest video game system as soon as they hit the shelves. It's only a year. DO NOT do those stupid days-to-go calendars; get involved and the days will flow by. I came home with an E-6 stripe, 18 college credits and a bank account. All I left there was 45 pounds that I didn't need anyway and the aerobic capacity of a Sherpa. God Bless and Godspeed!

#21 ·
Procedures to have someone watch firearms:

1) Display firearm
2) Sit in chair
3) Stare at said firearm from different angles and lighting
4) Repeat with other firearms as necessary

Sorry, I couldn't resist a bit of humor.

#22 ·
Check out secure lock box places. Not like a bank, but a rental depository. They have various size lock boxed safe boxes that are both secure and temp/humidity controlled. I know here in Milwaukee, we have a place like that. I would never trust anyone with my guns, especially being registered to myself.

#25 ·
I first would make sure her homeowners would cover a loss,if it were to happen,If they are all your firearms,and you are transporting them you will be o.k.,as long as she never decides to do the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.