Procedures to have someone watch firearms.

This is a discussion on Procedures to have someone watch firearms. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am going to PCS/Move to Korea, where personal firearms are not allowed. So I am going to have my sister, who is in VA, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Procedures to have someone watch firearms.

I am going to PCS/Move to Korea, where personal firearms are not allowed. So I am going to have my sister, who is in VA, watch my firearms while I am away. What are the procedures to do so?

All I can think of is a special power of attorney.

I am currently stationed at Fort Campbell, KY. I will drive to VA with about 8 firearms and thousands of rounds. lol

any assistance is appreciated. thanks in advance

Check the laws with regard to transporting firearms in each of the states you will travel through.I'm sure you know to see to it that they are not accessible to unauthorized persons. Thank you for your service to our Great country.Good luck,God Bless you.

Power of attorney for firearms? How about a living will, too?

Other than the transportation aspects which RayBar addressed, there are no special procedures. You're not transferring ownership, you're just asking her to store your property (safely) during your temporary absence. But you consider might a contingency plan, in case the latest Kim-who nutcase in North Korea decides to lob a nuke over the line - who gets your guns if you don't come back?
    Last edited by gasmitty; May 14th, 2012 at 10:54 PM.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Uh, don't interstate transfers of handguns have to go through an FFL?

I'm not sure that giving her possession even with a Special or Limited POA will solve that problem.

Otherwise, I kind of like the idea of a limited or special power of attorney. By executing that you make it crystal clear
    that you have not actually transferred or gifted anything to her, but merely asked her to act on your behalf during
    your absence with regard to safekeeping. I don't know if that would fly with the Federales if you didn't use an FFL and something came to their attention, but at least your intent would be clear.

Its a CYA document and covers hers also, maybe.

A POA disappears upon your death and is not a substitute for a will or a revocable trust which are different instruments.
    Last edited by Hopyard; May 14th, 2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Added some thoughts
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Ask that they be cleaned if shot and fixed if broke.

You're not doing a permanent transfer of ownership, just securing them while out of country. Not a issue.

Make sure you get your sister something nice while there.

What would you have to do if you let your sister store your tv/computer/guitar/etc. while you were out of country?

Not a thing
    DontTreadOnI likes this.

Well I figured I'd need something just in case since they are firearms compared to other crap you can buy without a background check.

I can trust/rely on my sister compared to others. lol

So it seems like I wouldn't need anything. thanks

Unless your sister can't be around firearms, e.g. under-age, felon, mentally unstable, then there shouldn't be a problem.

I of course know nothing of your sister's domestic situation but I think you do need some documentation on the weapons as far as ownership and the temporary storage arrangement. If she and a significant other get into any kind of domestic violence situation or something with a neighbor that results in a protection order, you could end up with LEOs having to remove weapons from her home under court order. Without papers getting them back might be quite challenging.
    oneshot likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Maybe lock them in a gun safe while your gone? Do you trust your sister's friends?
    --Jason--

POA ... good idea, and proves she is only storing them for you if something else should come up that you can't anticipate.
    Nothing else really needed, but I think that would be a good idea. I would list them in the POA.

I'm assuming, and thought, that Virginia doesn't have any FOID cards or other requirements for Firearm permits to own one or have one. As long as they don't , you should be good.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Do you also have a safe? Liberal coat of oil, dessicant, and stored in a cool, dry environment (running a dehumidifier outside the safe), spin the lock and you're good. I did the same when I PCSd to Germany...left the guns with my brother. Make it simple....don't make it harder....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Isn't pretty much the same as having someone watch your pit bull, German Shepard and Doberman Pinscher dogs???
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

You can talk to your base JA for free - and they'll do any PoAs you need for free as well. No idea how many laws I broke and feelings I hurt during the times I stored everything at mom and dad's house, but they live in a state with fewer restrictions than VA.

When my son deployed to S. Korea the Airforce packet they gave him had blank POA's for everything from his truck to his dog. We just filled in the blanks. The only problem was his Glock 17. I started shooting it and had to have it. Had to buy him another one when he got back.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links