ATI Titan

ATI Titan

This is a discussion on ATI Titan within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had the opportunity to check out an ATI Titan today. Reasonably priced but heavy. Anybody have any experience with one....

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zonker1986

Thread: ATI Titan

ATI Titan

I had the opportunity to check out an ATI Titan today. Reasonably priced but heavy. Anybody have any experience with one.

VIP Member
    Pros:
    * Built like a tank
    * Looks more expensive than it is
    * Shoots every time

Cons:
    * It needs a break-in period
    * Guide rod plate is held on with a screw that tends to back out. I sealed mine with locktite, but it's something to keep an eye on.
    * Stay with the stock ATC-Mags, or at least don't waste any money on Wilson 47D's (it hates those). Once it's broken in, things will feed fine.
    * I don't care for the balance (or lack thereof). It's tail-heavy and will tend to shoot high if you're drawing and shooting quickly.

It's an 'okay' 1911. For the same money, I'd try a RIA next time but I really don't recommend anything shorter than commander-length. I may trade this one in someday.

Thanks WHEC,
    Great reply, very informative. Had a retired LEO drooling over it at the shop and thought I'd check it out. I've got a 45 and don't know what I'd do with it but the price seemed reasonable and I was in the mood for another gun. I'm gonna investigate the RIA too. Thanks again.

ATI FX 45 Titan

My advice, stay away from ANY Filliapino-built gun, especially ATI. Mine is at NW Ohio's premier 1911 gunsmith getting repaired/upgraded right now. Bottom line is that it is a cheap knock-off. I paid ~$450 and am dropping another $1000, of which $500 is just to get it shootable again. Doing a lot of upgrades also. My advice, I should have talked to the gunsmith first and bought a Colt, Springfield, or Kimber (which isn't as robust as you maythink). It (ATI) is made with soft gun-metal and non-machined parts. I have <500 rounds through it and have parts that look like they have been beat with a ball-peen hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by AR15shooter View Post
    My advice, stay away from ANY Filliapino-built gun, especially ATI. Mine is at NW Ohio's premier 1911 gunsmith getting repaired/upgraded right now. Bottom line is that it is a cheap knock-off. I paid ~$450 and am dropping another $1000, of which $500 is just to get it shootable again. Doing a lot of upgrades also. My advice, I should have talked to the gunsmith first and bought a Colt, Springfield, or Kimber (which isn't as robust as you maythink). It (ATI) is made with soft gun-metal and non-machined parts. I have <500 rounds through it and have parts that look like they have been beat with a ball-peen hammer.
    my Metro Arms American Classic II has been nothing but pure pleasure.....and its made in the Phillipines. I don't have any issue with 1911's made in the Phillipines as they make a great 1911 for the money.
    I do have an issue with guns made in Brazil....ie Taurus. Imagine my dismay when I looked on the bottom of the dust cover of my Springfield Armory Loaded 1911 and saw the dreaded words lightly ethched: MADE IN BRAZIL.

WHEC724 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    LOL. Let me know if you need me to take that nasty old Brazilian pistol off your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    LOL. Let me know if you need me to take that nasty old Brazilian pistol off your hands.

$1,000, and I'll pay shipping.

Funny thing that even though its made in Brazil, it shoots like a dream, and it has never missed a beat......just like my American Classic. My point is that you can't
    just make a blanket statement that "ALL GUNS MADE IN XYZ ARE JUNK". Most are great, but there are always a few clunkers in the heap....regardless of where they are made.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    $1,000, and I'll pay shipping.
    Thanks. Actually, I already have a parkerized version of that nasty Brazilian gun, and it shoots like a dream too. In fact, it's my favorite of them all (coming from a glockaphile).

Just another 1911 knock off....I carried a colt 1911 in the army....worse gun I ever carried.. !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mascariot View Post
    Just another 1911 knock off....I carried a colt 1911 in the army....worse gun I ever carried.. !!!!!
    blasphemy!!! May the Ghost of John Moses Browning haunt your bathroom.

Sponsored Links