New pistol today! - Page 3

New pistol today!

This is a discussion on New pistol today! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Congrats. A great rimfire pistol....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: New pistol today!

Administrator
    Congrats. A great rimfire pistol.

Its definitely on the list! Right behind a 5" 1911 in .45ACP! Nice pickup. Give us a range report once you have time to let that baby breath

Very nice gun - what do the Hogue grips do in terms of overall feel?

I have been considering a .22 handgun for rats, snakes and turtles at my place.

I am wondering if any of the semi auto .22's will cycle with CCI rat shot? Does anyone know?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post

I am wondering if any of the semi auto .22's will cycle with CCI rat shot? Does anyone know?
    I also wonder how well, or any cleaning problems with the CCI shot?

It is fun shooting those .22 lr handguns.....and cheap too.

Quote Originally Posted by crand16 View Post
    Very nice gun - what do the Hogue grips do in terms of overall feel?
    Well, I personally like the rubber finger groove grips on similar size 1911 frame pistols. I had some on my previous full size 1911A1, and if they made them for my P220 SAO I would have some on that as well...but I had to settle on a Pachmayr grip sleeve since nobody makes them for the SIG single actions yet, and maybe never will. The overall feel to me is a good (or better) balance with a more muzzle heavy pistol such as this. Personal taste pretty much, and it has nothing to do with my Glock happiness with the 3rd generation pistols. I was a fan of the finger groove grips long before I had my first Glock. The ones I bought for my 1911A1 pistols were 3-piece (at the time) and could be stretched under the individual side panels to favor a right or left hand shooter. Apparently those are hard to find now.

As far as I know, no semi auto 22LR will cycle at all or (reliably) with any of the crimped or domed bird shot loads. If you want to use those types of rounds for varmint suppression, I suggest using a 22LR revolver. Reason for the cycling problem in semi-autos is that they are mainly recoil operated (maybe I am not aware of anything else in 22LR?) somebody else at this point can mention blow-back operation and define the difference if possible. For enough recoil to cycle the bolt, the projectile needs to fill the bore to where the expanding gasses behind it will cycle the bolt. With any shot loads this will not happen since individual shot pellets do not fill or seal the bore enough.
    As far as cleaning? The 22lr is a dirty little round. Most of what you end up cleaning is powder fouling in any 22LR firearm. I don't think there would be much difference in solids vs shot on cleaning. Besides.........how often would you be using shot instead of solids in a 22LR anyway.....especially in a semi auto that won't cycle with shot? LOL!
    I am also a believer in that a certain amount of leading in the bores of 22LR rifles is conducive to accuracy. I'm not opening a debate on this....just my observations over time, what I've heard personally from competitive shooters, and what I learned over a five year period shooting silhouette matches with a local club from those who used a semi auto for competition versus a single shot bolt action.
    If you wish to know more, check rimfirecentral.com
    More specific information about rimfires than might usually get discussed here. I am there every once in a while myself.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I've always liked those. It looks awesome with the rubber grips.
    Good luck with it.

Range report......finally got out and shot it today at the local indoor range ($20 for us both). 160 rounds with one misfeed....(still not sure about the cause but a failure to chamber fully). Shoots like a dream bone stock. 9" paper plates at 10yds (sorry...no pics), but my GF likes it a lot as well (she likes all of my 22's and only my 22's basically). In the days ahead I'll be doing some polishing on the trigger parts and installing a Sam Lam hammer bushing (see rimfirecentral.com). I think I'll do well with this on steel challenge. By the way....when I got home (sore thumb from loading magazines)....my Ultimate Clip Loader showed up in the mail!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links