My wonder 9, its a DAEWOO DP 51!

This is a discussion on My wonder 9, its a DAEWOO DP 51! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I did it and I don't know if im glad or not? wile wondering around a gun shop in this area, I spotted this thing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My wonder 9, its a DAEWOO DP 51!

Question My wonder 9, its a DAEWOO DP 51!

I did it and I don't know if im glad or not? wile wondering around a gun shop in this area, I spotted this thing in the back of a show case and ask to look it over, Used but no obvious ware and the darn thing just fit my hand SOooooo for $375 I now have my first 9mm! Daewoo DP 51. Anyone have a like piece or any info on this little critter? For sure it looks like a S&W (DA/SA) bouble stacked.

2. Remove Ads

IIRC the Daewoo DP51 has what they called the "fast action" SA/DA where you can let the hammer down on a chambered round and still be able to fire SA with a light trigger pull. I believe it also was able to use S&W model 59 style mags.......Bob
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Slider...

from PDO...Gary type?..
    What ever fits your hand!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Say it aint so Bob, this Daewoo DP 51 is a S&W nockoff? I did fire 5rds in the saftey barrel at the shop to check if it would run, and did notice the different trigger action! really not all that bad will have a range report asap. It really does fit my hand nice!

I remember when they came out in Cali (they were pretty hot sellers), I believe in the mid-90's. A few people I knew had them. Supposedly, the South Korean police carried it as a duty weapon. I thought it was a well made piece for what it is. I look forward to a review...

Lead Moderator
    Go figure, didn't even know they made weapons!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    got a pic?
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I had a friend who bought one of these in the .40 version a couple of years ago. It has run well for him, and I really like the "fast action" on it.

Came across another in a class I was helping instruct, and it just wouldnt run for the poor woman shooting it that day.

Personally I wouldnt mind one for plinking and such...especially at the low prices they can be found for.
    Fear No Evil.

Senior Moderator
    I've seen several Daewoos here and they all seem to work well.

The one that I shot hot right to the point of aim and had no FTF's or FTE's.

I liked it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Heres a pic...

The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have one, it came from Davidson's when they were the original importers. I believe that Kimber picked it up after that along with the Daewoo DH-40. At some later date, EAA imported the Daewoo in the compact version. I will keep mine as another fine example of a 9mm handgun. Daewoo is an awsome producer of firearms. Their DR-100, 200 and 300 long guns are terrific machines.

Daewoo K5 / DP51 pistol is short recoil operated, locked breech weapon. It uses a conventional Browning-type locking system, with two lugs on the barrel engaging cuts inside the slide. Locking and unlocking is controlled by the cam-shaped lug at the bottom of the barrel. Frame of the pistol is made from aluminium alloy; all other parts are made from steel. Trigger is of “triple action” type. This means that other than traditional double or single action fire modes it has “fast action” mode, apparently borrowed from FN’s GP “Fast Action” pistol. In this mode hammer is cocked by the cycle of the slide, then it is pushed forward by the pressure on the hammer head. In this position, the main spring remains cocked, so only light pressure on the trigger is necessary to recock the hammer and fire the gun in the “double action manner”. Or, alternatively, hammer can be recocked manually to be fired in single action for maximum first-shot accuracy. Sights are fixed, with the rear sight dovetailed to the slide.

The DP51 is a semi-automatic pistol in 9mm Parabellum caliber, operating on an unusual delayed blowback system. The interior of the chamber has a number of shallow annular grooves: on firing, the cartidge brass expands, under the high chamber pressure, into these grooves and thus prevents the case from being extracted and the breech from being opened. After the bullet leaves the barrel the pressure drops, the brass contracts to it's normal dimensions, and the breech can then open. Designed for police and military use, the double action trigger is better than most, providing a very even trigger pull.

Manual safety: Ambidextrous levers at both sides of the frame, above and behind grip panels. To set on safe: pull the lever up. To disengage safety: pull the lever down; red dot will appear on the frame.

Field stripping procedure: 1) remove the magazine by pressing the magazine release button 2) check the chamber for remaining cartridge 3) retract the slide until the notch on the left side of the slide will be aligned with the front of the slide stop lever 4) push the slide stop pin from the right side, then pull and withdraw the slide stop completely toward the left 5) ease the slide and barrel assembly forward and out of the frame 6) remove the return spring and barrel from the slide. Assemble in reverse order.

Hope this helps. I am not happy with myself because I do not have a pix of mine to submit and it is too much of a pain to chase it out of the safe and 'shoot' it with the digital.

Ed

Thanks for the Info. esp ED, It realy is a find I Think and after todays range trip im sure. This thing shot like a dream, 250 rds down range and not one problum of any kind. it shot to poa at 30ft . IMHO it will make a very good carry piece, and a fun shooter.

Wow ! nice info Ed ! :)

Go figure, didn't even know they made weapons!
    R, they make EVERYTHING. When I was at Prince Sultan, the TV's, VCR's, I think the water coolers and alot of other stuff was DAEWOO.

They even make cars.

Wayne

You mean no one ever heard of Daewoo Heavy Industries?

I think they build ships too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links