RMR02 Review for Shooters with Vision Problems

This is a discussion on RMR02 Review for Shooters with Vision Problems within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am not promoting any particular gun or sight. I hope this review might help someone with similar problems as mine. Not that I have ...

Thread: RMR02 Review for Shooters with Vision Problems

I am not promoting any particular gun or sight. I hope this review might help someone with similar problems as mine. Not that I have any problems.

I bought an M&P9c a few months ago. Installed the full APEX Kit and Trigger. Love it. However, I am 65 in good shape and health but have had a slight muscle tremor since my 20's. Has not gotten worse but will never have to worry about being in competition. My first problem was getting use to shooting with a slight movement.

Second, I have an ear disease called Meneire's Disease. Certain things can trigger it and give me vertigo. I have not had vertigo for over 15 years. This is not age related because I got it at about age 40.

Third problem was that my close up vision and my distance vision are not perfect. Not real bad but not perfect. Like a lot of shooters if I focus on the sight at the front of the barrel the rear sight is not in focus and the further the target the more out of focus the target is. I talked to Decot about prescription glasses and they recommended Bifocals that were reversed with the bifocal on the top. That did not excite me at all.

So I went to the local FOP Range outdoors and tried shooting with my prescription sunglasses that are set up for distance vision which I use mostly for driving. Boy was that fun. After one mag of 12 I took the glasses off and the world started moving on me. I closed my eyes for a few minutes and everything settled down.
    My boss said he had friends that had that problem when they used predcription glasses that had a lot of curvature to them which mine do. I went to my Optometrist and he did not think that was the problem. He thought it was from wearing glasses designed to focus at a distance and I was using them to focus at inches away at the front sight. Then when I took the glasses off my eyes were telling my brain things were not normal. My wife's been telling me that for years.

I thought I was in good health until I reread the above. Now I am really depressed. I know this is long but may help someone.

I read somewhere, I think Massad Ayoob, said with a Red Dot Sight you visually fixed on the target and let the dot fall in place.
    So I had an RMR02 with Suppressor Sights installed and got it back last Saturday. I have been to the range twice. I shot 4 mags of 12 the first outing and 10 mags of 12 yesterday.
    I wore my Prescription Sunglasses, designed for distance vision, both outings. I never had a problem with vertigo at all.
    I also was able to see the target, because of the prescription, and had no trouble with the dot falling in line for aiming.
    And this is with a prescription that is 9 years old. I just got a new prescritption but did not want to order new lenses until I got everything worked out. I was also trying not to order multiple pairs of glasses.
    Now I am going to have new distance vision lenses made with the proper material for shooting. This way I can still wear them in the daytime as regular sunglasses and also shoot with them. This has worked so well in my case that I bought a 45c a week ago and am going to set it up exactly the same way.
    Good luck to anyone with any of the above problems.

VIP Member
    I have a DeltaPoint on a 3rd Generation Glock 17, and absolutely love it. Glad you were able to find something which helped.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

That is a great lookin' set up. Shoot well, sir.

dan

jdsumner,
    I am in the st. Augustne area. Where is Riverview?

Thanks for the post! I put a red dot on my Ruger 22/45 and, for aging eyes, it is a fantastic addition. I wouldn't use one on a carry weapon (bulk and reliability concerns), but for the range and general plinking it makes life easy.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

FLSlim, iuse my 9c with the RMR as a carry with an owb holster. Luckily I can wear my shirts out and not tucked in.
    With the right belt and holster it works fine.
    I am 5' 7" and 185 lbs.
    My boss (a lady) asked if I had started carrying yet and told her I had been for about three months. This made me feel good because she carries 2 pistols at all times and sometimes three. Her husband and two sons work here and also carry. So I figured if they did not notice any print the general public normally would not.
    The Red Dot Sight did not actually add to any problem of concealing the wheapon.

FLSlim-no to worry about the reliability or toughness of the Trijicon RmR, they have proved their metal. Do the research I did. Talk w Bowie Tactical, Suarez Int'l, Unity Tactical. All these companies have put the rmr thru its paces at much more intensity than most of us cc's will. As for bulk, everyone I've spoken w/ who carries one has not had any issue with concealing the optic.

Remember, boys and girls, these rmr s where not just put on pistols this morning. A lot of time and effort has gone into them, beginning back in gamer days to bring them to the level they are now. And they are only getting better. Pay the money, get a QUALITY red dot, and learn how to employ it. If its not for you, then that's great. But untill you've tried a quality optic set up on a fighting gun, you'll never really be sure.

dan

ttyndall-
    Riverview is just south of Tampa. Ever get around theses parts in your travels?

dan

Dan, not real often but i will definately let you know if I do.
    Ted

Sponsored Links