First IDPA match

First IDPA match

This is a discussion on First IDPA match within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I shot my first IDPA match this Saturday. I brought along my S&W model 36 5 shot snub... stock wood grips. Although i was the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: First IDPA match

First IDPA match

I shot my first IDPA match this Saturday. I brought along my S&W model 36 5 shot snub... stock wood grips. Although i was the only shooter out of 42 with a revolver, i did quite well with accuracy. My times generally sucked, as my reloading skills are not very quick. I was going for accuracy and safety being it was my first time shooting in this type of match.

It looked as though it took quite a bit of time and effort for the volunteers to set up the 6 station course. I ended up shooting about 130 rounds. I surprised myself with my accuracy, and being able to move and shoot at the same time. My reload time however made it difficult to compete with anyone. I was a little dissapointed that nobody else had a service revolver such as mine... it looked at though most were shooting 1911's with fancy holsters made for speed, not concealment.

I can highly suggest shooting an IDPA mathc, i think you will learn alot. One station was prone, with three targets at 15, 20, and 25 yards. I ended up shooting the two closer targets perfectly, but did not even hit the target at 25 yards ???? Dont know how that happened, but i guess i now know my effective range.

Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Cool. Glad you enjoyed it and learned something.

Congratulations from another match shooter.Great fun,isn't it.

Congrats! Sounds like you did OK!!

I'm thinking about joining the IDPA group at a nearby range. I shot IPSC matches years ago, but haven't done anything recently. I think it's time to get back into the action!
    Cheers!

Joe
    NRA Benefactor Member
    Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

Congrats on your first IDPA match. That's what I started out on but quit shooting after over 120 people started to regularly show up for the matches. I didn't like being out there for 6-8 hours just to shoot a total of maybe 5 minutes. There were few revolver shooters then as well maybe 10ish in all. If you want to compete against revolvers look and see if there is an ICORE match in your area. Since it is a revolver only discipline you'll be surrounded by wheelies. Just shot the steel match this morning, had lots of fun making the steel ring with my .357 mag reloads even if I did get the crud kicked out of me by everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85 View Post
    Congrats on your first IDPA match. That's what I started out on but quit shooting after over 120 people started to regularly show up for the matches. I didn't like being out there for 6-8 hours just to shoot a total of maybe 5 minutes. There were few revolver shooters then as well maybe 10ish in all. If you want to compete against revolvers look and see if there is an ICORE match in your area. Since it is a revolver only discipline you'll be surrounded by wheelies. Just shot the steel match this morning, had lots of fun making the steel ring with my .357 mag reloads even if I did get the crud kicked out of me by everyone else.
    I know how you feel, my times were LENGTHY to say the least. Maybe next time i reload faster and kick some butt. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "

Congrats on your experience. It's nice to find out how you and your gun will run under stress. That way, you know for sure what you and your equipment are capable of when the SHTF.

I see all the go fast holsters and guns at my local IDPA matches, too. Personally, when shooting IDPA, I use the same Crossbreed Supertuck I carry my 1911 with. It is one of the fastest drawing IWB holsters I have come across. I don't even use a magwell on my 1911 since I carry it with a flush bottom magazine to keep the grip length as short as possible. All it has is a bevel on both sides of the mag opening, and I have had enough practice with it that I can reload it just as fast as the magwell equipped gamer guns. For a concealment garment, I just use an unbuttoned, untucked button up shirt. Despite not playing with all the go fast gear, I still usually place within the top 10% of the competitors at my local club matches. I like having the bragging rights of using my street carry gear and still being able to hang with most of the gamers.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    not just fun, for many of us its the closest we get to drawing, moving , shooting.
    many times, after the buzzer--it feels real.

a friends club last week held a classifier. i worked the timer for a while and shot
    about the same as the last 15 years. the weak hand aspect of the classifer brakes many,
    and im thinking it may take me down a notch next year.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by gigamortis View Post
    Congrats on your experience. It's nice to find out how you and your gun will run under stress. That way, you know for sure what you and your equipment are capable of when the SHTF.

I see all the go fast holsters and guns at my local IDPA matches, too. Personally, when shooting IDPA, I use the same Crossbreed Supertuck I carry my 1911 with. It is one of the fastest drawing IWB holsters I have come across. I don't even use a magwell on my 1911 since I carry it with a flush bottom magazine to keep the grip length as short as possible. All it has is a bevel on both sides of the mag opening, and I have had enough practice with it that I can reload it just as fast as the magwell equipped gamer guns. For a concealment garment, I just use an unbuttoned, untucked button up shirt. Despite not playing with all the go fast gear, I still usually place within the top 10% of the competitors at my local club matches. I like having the bragging rights of using my street carry gear and still being able to hang with most of the gamers.
    Great! sounds like you have a great handle on your carry equipment.... why dont all use their carry guns? I thought that was what IDPA stands for. bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "

Good for you! I personally recommend everyone who owns a pistol for defense try a match of some sort at least once. IDPA or IPSC.

Sounds like fun, I hope to shoot in a match one day. Congratulations for taking that step.

Using Tapatalk

Because when you are a gamer you shave everything you can to get the points down and lower times. But it was designed as a way to get concealed carriers out to shoot and become more proficient. That is why you have limited rounds and cover garment rules.

My times are usually near the top, but I donít shoot for time. I enjoy it and itís the only way I can get that type of shooting in. I donít crowd cover, and I donít run too much, quick steep mostly. As far as points down I look at the scoring system on IDPA as being poorly laid out, like a shot to the target just under the head line centered over the zero ring is one point down, to me it is one bad fellow down and out. But that is the way the game is played.

USPSA and IDPA vie for whose scenarios and equipment are more realistic an representative of the "real world."

My club (Rio Salado in AZ) runs Tuesday Night Steel which is primarily reactive steel targets, but run generally according to USPSA rules. I run full-power ammo and a regular OWB holster in deference to my desire to not "game" the exercise, but that's my personal stance. I just enjoy pushing myself against the clock and testing my skills... which is light years ahead of punching paper targets. We have a number of wheelgunners each week, but I have yet to see any of them with a J-frame! Good for you for leaving the gamesmanship behind and "running what ya brung"!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

There is an old saying. If you think you are good, wait a while and someone better will come along. I found out shooting IDPA that:
    1. I lost all illusions that I was any good.
    2. I learned to practice combat reloads until I could do it in my sleep.
    3. My whole method of practice changed to help with my IDPA scores and became a total obsession
    4. Practice did not make perfect, but I got a whole lot better.
    5. Shooting while on the run?? Try it if you think its easy.
    6. Volunteer at a local club to set up before the matches, and you will make a lot of friends. It is a lot of work.
    7. Shoot your carry gun in IDPA matches and your confidence carrying that weapon for CCW goes up exponentially.
    8. I never failed to complete any IDPA course of fire.....because I shot my Second Generation Glock 19.
    RayBar likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

What is this ICORE? It sounds like something I'd be interested in...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links