XDm roll pin (striker retainer pin) isssues

This is a discussion on XDm roll pin (striker retainer pin) isssues within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sent JD a pm yesterday asking if he'd experienced this with his XDm, which he really hadn't. The striker retainer pin, which is visible along ...

Thread: XDm roll pin (striker retainer pin) isssues

VIP Member

XDm roll pin (striker retainer pin) isssues

Sent JD a pm yesterday asking if he'd experienced this with his XDm, which he really hadn't. The striker retainer pin, which is visible along the top of the slide behind the loaded chamber indicator (#35 in the diagram below) has a habit of braking and/or backing out as a result of dry firing, high round count/extreme use. I borrowed this pistol from a friend (XDm 4.5" 9mm) because I wanted a 9mm instead of a .40 S&W for IDPA use, and to try out fiber optic sight, we eventually traded and it became mine. I first noticed the pin backing out during dry fire practice and pushed it back in, haven't had an issue during competition. My friend had already run about 1000 rounds through it, followed by about 500 or so by me.
    xd-slide assembly.jpeg

My initial thought was to use some loctite 620 to secure the pin in place, which prompted my pm to JD. After getting a message back, I then decided to go over to the XD forum and see if this was a common issue, and found a sticky devoted to this problem. The failure of the split roll pin is wide spread enough that a company which makes XD "upgrade" parts (PRP Striker retainer pins) has a spring roll pin that replaces the split roll pin. I ordered 6 of them today, I am planning on giving a couple to a friend, he's had the pin work it's way out during competition. I will let you know how it performs after a high round count and dry fire practice.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Snap caps for XD's?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Snap caps for XD's?
    While not a bad idea, doesn't really solve the problem, as extreme use can also result in failure of the striker retainer pin.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Links