Anybody ever accidentally buy a gun?

This is a discussion on Anybody ever accidentally buy a gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So two days ago I accidentally bid on a gun on gunbroker... and won. I had a bunch of similar tabs open in IE from ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Anybody ever accidentally buy a gun?

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar

Anybody ever accidentally buy a gun?

So two days ago I accidentally bid on a gun on gunbroker... and won. I had a bunch of similar tabs open in IE from doing a search on gunbroker. Apparently I was spaced out, as I really shouldn't have bid on anything (couldn't really afford it), but I meant to bid on what looked like a 3" Ruger Speed Six with Pachmayr Compac grips that had no bids, no reserve, and a really low price (presumably because the listing had few details, and the one picture was blurry... it might also have been a 2.75" one, but it would have been a good price for one of those, too... I was willing to bid on it because it would have been a STEAL for a 3" one).

So I said to myself... if I took my M&P9c into the gun store and added that to all the cash on hand, I'd have enough to bid.

So I made exactly one bid.

ON THE WRONG FREAKIN GUN. Don't ask me how I missed the fact that the pictures were different (the bid price on each was the same) or how I skimmed past the "Your bid is a legal contract" popup without thinking.

And then... I won. None of the other bidders would snipe me.

So now I am the (not quite proud) owner of a 4" blued, post-151 series, .38 Special Ruger Service Six, which is a nice gun at a good price... that is, it would be a good price if I had any desire for this specific gun. Instead it's like buying a $350 spare TV because it was on sale from $400.

And because I only had that much money, I now can't buy the gun that I was actually looking to bid on.
    Hakkaa päälle!

2. Remove Ads

DOH. That's a mistake I would make. Hope you can find someone who wants it more that you didn't know you did Try armslist?

I've done that on minor items on Ebay before but not on a firearm...yet.

I've popped off and accidentally ended up with a gun I hadn't really intended to purchase at gun shows before. Have had a Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H Magnum for over 20 years now because of that. I once ended up with a rare, collectible Colt revolver (though in poor condition) because it was badly mislabeled by GunBroker seller who incorrectly described it as a completely different and very common Colt model. I figured that one couldn't go wrong with the $50 opening bid. The seller and I both may have been had on that auction.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I bought a gun one time but the accident was when I got home and told my wife about it; I accidentally got hit with a pan

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Could have been worse.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

JD
    Administrator
    Yep, I bought a Benelli on accident. I thought for sure someone would out bid me.

Could have been worse. You could have bid on a Time Machine THose that watch Big Bang Theory will get it.
    The big bang theory time machine - YouTube
    Burns likes this.

Congrats on winning...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I have done that on ebay, but not with guns. The conversation with my self goes something like this:

"Oh man...that is the best price I have seen on that yet."

"Hubby said to slow it down on ebay."

"Yeah.....but look at that price."

"You know he will gritch."

"I won't be able to live with myself if I don't. I have to at least make the minimum bid on it. Some one will out bid me."

"Are you sure?

"Pretty sure."

Bid put in and 5 seconds to go.

"Come on! That is a great price. Someone out bid me.....PLEASE."

Congrats you win.

"Told you so."

The End.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Did it last month on a local auction. Bid low on several guns I wanted but couldn't really afford. Bid on a .25 Barretta and won it. Only have 130.00 in a gun taking up space in the safe. very little space. Guess it better than winning a HiPoint.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I have done that on ebay, but not with guns. The conversation with my self goes something like this:

"Oh man...that is the best price I have seen on that yet."

"Hubby said to slow it down on ebay."

"Yeah.....but look at that price."

"You know he will gritch."

"I won't be able to live with myself if I don't. I have to at least make the minimum bid on it. Some one will out bid me."

"Are you sure?

"Pretty sure."

Bid put in and 5 seconds to go.

"Come on! That is a great price. Someone out bid me.....PLEASE."

Congrats you win.

"Told you so."

The End.
    That's basically what happened! LOL

With the added twist of me then proceeding to bid on the wrong gun.

It's a nice-looking gun... if it were a .357 I would strongly consider keeping it just to have something in wood and blued steel back in my collection.

My wife was actually really good about it. I'm sure I lost good husband points, but fewer than I thought I would, and she said if someone was willing to take it off my hands for the same price (a friend of a friend on facebook is interested), she'd let me take it out as a 'loan' from our checking account instead of selling my M&P for the cash.

Now, I might sell the M&P anyway, since I bought a Shield that has since completely replaced the M&P9c as a carry gun.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Nope, never made that mistake. I have bid more than I probably should have but luckily I have been outbid each time.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Red face Mistake

Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    So two days ago I accidentally bid on a gun on gunbroker... and won. I had a bunch of similar tabs open in IE from doing a search on gunbroker. Apparently I was spaced out, as I really shouldn't have bid on anything (couldn't really afford it), but I meant to bid on what looked like a 3" Ruger Speed Six with Pachmayr Compac grips that had no bids, no reserve, and a really low price (presumably because the listing had few details, and the one picture was blurry... it might also have been a 2.75" one, but it would have been a good price for one of those, too... I was willing to bid on it because it would have been a STEAL for a 3" one).

So I said to myself... if I took my M&P9c into the gun store and added that to all the cash on hand, I'd have enough to bid.

So I made exactly one bid.

ON THE WRONG FREAKIN GUN. Don't ask me how I missed the fact that the pictures were different (the bid price on each was the same) or how I skimmed past the "Your bid is a legal contract" popup without thinking.

And then... I won. None of the other bidders would snipe me.

So now I am the (not quite proud) owner of a 4" blued, post-151 series, .38 Special Ruger Service Six, which is a nice gun at a good price... that is, it would be a good price if I had any desire for this specific gun. Instead it's like buying a $350 spare TV because it was on sale from $400.

And because I only had that much money, I now can't buy the gun that I was actually looking to bid on.
    WOW! Bummer man! You know what?
    Anyone can make a mistake, but it takes a computer to REALLY screw up!

I've claimed to have accidentally bought a gun before...
    stevez likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    not quite like that but......

at the store---me--"that looks interesting"
    salesman hands it to me--my 1st mistake is acepting it

now, i've been investigating and looking at guns from that time period so we discuss it....
    we discuss it till money changes hands. hmmmm...

--------so, ua; its understandable how
    guns can follow someone home
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links