My First thread how do I properly break in a pistol - Page 3

My First thread how do I properly break in a pistol

This is a discussion on My First thread how do I properly break in a pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My husband made me break my new gun down and clean, clean, clean. Says there is to much gunk in new guns. Then I just ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: My First thread how do I properly break in a pistol

My husband made me break my new gun down and clean, clean, clean. Says there is to much gunk in new guns. Then I just took it to the range and put a couple boxes of fmj's through the thing. Not sure you really need to do anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    It's funny how these supposed "break-in" requirements are stated in nice arbitrary round numbers. As if 499 rounds won't do it but 500 will.

If I acquired a new 1911 of any type I would assume that it would perform as the manufacturer intended. The gun would be cleaned and lubricated and taken to the range for a fun extended shooting outing. By the end of the day all will be revealed whether or not the pistol will give proper function. If it worked great during the shooting session then it could be considered as good to go. Clean and lubricate and live happily ever after. If it didn't then the manufacturer flubbed somewhere in the pistol's fabrication. It isn't a characteristic of the design that requires a break-in. Reliability with differences in bullet styles may be sorted out for carry purposes.

I'm not certain why some shooters consider a "tight" 1911 to be particularly desirable or why some manufacturers persist in building them that way.
    A lot of people "think" tighter means more accurate. Like Larry Vickers said, "It really doesn't affect accuracy, but it makes people feel better." Slide to frame fit means nothing. Barrel to slide fit does impact accuracy slightly, but unless there's a gaping hole around your barrel, I can't see it being noticeable.

You guys can say what you want about Taurus, but my PT1911 ran like a top right out of the box. FMJ, hollowpoint, 10 year old corroded crap, etc. You name it, it ate it.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Is the break-in/round count more important for the gun, or for the confidence of the gun owner?
    In my opinion the first 200 rounds is for the owner's confidence. The remainder is for the manufacturer so that they are not receiving guns back under warranty when a couple hundred more rounds will fix the problem (particularly feeding issues).
    Last edited by phreddy; August 28th, 2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    GeorgiaDawg likes this.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Real easy,take it home,strip it,clean and lube it,make sure everything looks ok {YouTube Helps} then shoot the snot out of it. I always use Ball ammo for the first 200 before I get exotic. Good Luck!!!.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links