My First thread how do I properly break in a pistol

This is a discussion on My First thread how do I properly break in a pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Fixing to buy my first 1911. It's the ruger sr1911. Want to use the hornady critical defense ammo to carry but what should I use ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: My First thread how do I properly break in a pistol

Fixing to buy my first 1911. It's the ruger sr1911. Want to use the hornady critical defense ammo to carry but what should I use to practice/break in the gun with? What are the steps to a proper break in? Thanks guys.

Range ammo. FMJ loads. 500rds minimum for break in IMO. 50 rounds of your chosen PD ammo.

VIP Member
    Clean and lube, minimum of 200 rounds of range ammo, with no malfunctions, preferably of the same weight as your carry ammo. Then a minimum of 50 trouble free rounds of your carry ammo.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Lot of 1911 guys will tell you 500 rounds of FMJ, and I tend to agree with them. I own 2 full size Kimbers, and both were at the 500 round mark before they really started shooting right. Since then, they've run like Singer sewing machines. It's kind of a shame that you have to spend $100-200 on ammo to get a pistol to work right, although I guess there are worse ways to spend it.

Of course if you don't want to screw around with a break in period, you can always buy a Glock

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Simply? Shoot it until you can't shoot it anymore. Then go another hundred rounds- trouble free- and at least 50 SD rounds without trouble.

I put about 150 FMJs through my used Springfield, and about 50 SDs with WIDE and DEEP hollow points.

Then loaded it up with some PMC Golds and Federal Guard Dog E-FMJs.

Only failure was a light-loaded FMJ that stovepiped. Everything else has been smooth.

I really recommend at least 350 FMJs, and 50 SDs.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

How many rds is safe to run before cool down and clean? How long is cool down period? Y does it have to be fmj rds? Just because they are cheap or is there a specific reason?

Shoot it. Wal-mart, winchester white box, target/range ammo.
    barstoolguru likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaug09 View Post
    How many rds is safe to run before cool down and clean? How long is cool down period? Y does it have to be fmj rds? Just because they are cheap or is there a specific reason?
    It's not a machine gun, so you're not going to melt the barrel. It wouldn't hurt to put some Gunbutter or other good grease on the slide rails, to ensure lubrication even when the parts are hot. 200 rounds is a normal range visit for me, then it gets torn down and cleaned. FMJ's are 20-30% the cost of defense loads, depending on what you use.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick62 View Post
    It's not a machine gun, so you're not going to melt the barrel. It wouldn't hurt to put some Gunbutter or other good grease on the slide rails, to ensure lubrication even when the parts are hot. 200 rounds is a normal range visit for me, then it gets torn down and cleaned. FMJ's are 20-30% the cost of defense loads, depending on what you use.
    Thanks. I just don't wanna spend money on a gun then waste it by not taking proper care of it.

some say you don't have to clean it first but you should; cleaning is a visual of bad parts, barrel blockage, worn or misaligned parts and it gives you a legit reason to play with it without your woman brow beating you
    RichB70 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    some say you don't have to clean it first but you should; cleaning is a visual of bad parts, barrel blockage, worn or misaligned parts and it gives you a legit reason to play with it without your woman brow beating you
    I like the way you think sir.
    barstoolguru likes this.

well it depends on what you are trying to accomplish by "breaking it in".... you really don't have to do anything.....it should go bang when you load it right out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by mascariot View Post
    well it depends on what you are trying to accomplish by "breaking it in".... you really don't have to do anything.....it should go bang when you load it right out of the box.
    Well almost every thread i have read on 1911s has posts about "breaking it in". So I just assumed that it was something you had to do. I'm very uneducated on firearms other then safety and how to use them. But when you get to talkin bout internal components, different classifications of guns/ammo (other than fmj, SD, duty), and real in depth things I don't know my hand from my behind. So any and all information or pointers is greatly appreciated.

A friend, who is very anal, shoots 5 rounds... cleans gun, shots 5 round... cleans gun... until he has shot 50 round thru it. Then , he will shoot 10-20 rounds, then clean it, until he's up to 200 rounds, and then will shoot normally. As I said, he's anal, and I see no point to it what-so-ever.

Put-em in and shoot-em, is my philosophy. Agree with the posts above..... and the round counts. 200 first time out, get 500 down the tube, and at least 50-100 of SD ammo you plan to use. Try different types of ammo during the process, to see if there are some the gun has any issues with.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick62 View Post
    Lot of 1911 guys will tell you 500 rounds of FMJ, and I tend to agree with them. I own 2 full size Kimbers, and both were at the 500 round mark before they really started shooting right. Since then, they've run like Singer sewing machines. It's kind of a shame that you have to spend $100-200 on ammo to get a pistol to work right, although I guess there are worse ways to spend it.

Of course if you don't want to screw around with a break in period, you can always buy a Glock
    My Colt's didn't take 500 rounds....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links