House Gun / more range info added

This is a discussion on House Gun / more range info added within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A couple of weeks ago I finally was able to buy one of the new Taurus 44 Ten revolvers. The model 44 Ten fires .45 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House Gun / more range info added

VIP Member

A couple of weeks ago I finally was able to buy one of the new Taurus 44 Ten revolvers. The model 44 Ten fires .45 Colt and 2.5" .410 shotgun shells. Today we finally got to try it out with the .410 shells. The company website shows only the 3" and 6.5" barrel versions, but the one I have is a 4".

Last week we fired a few .45 Colt rounds and were pleased with the performance of the revolver. The trigger is standard double action revolver with a very smooth travel. The double action trigger was stronger than my wife could handle, but did not seem excessive to me. The accuracy was no better or worse than other revolvers we have fired. I was concerned that the long cylinder might cause some accuracy problems with the .45 Colt round, but this did not appear to be the case.

Today we fired 000 Buck Shot through the revolver and were pleased with the results. We were both surprised that the .410 rounds were no louder than they were. We fired at plastic gallon milk jugs to see how the .410 would affect them. We have fired 9mm, .357SIG, and 10mm fmj and jhp at milk jugs and know what to expect from various rounds hitting them. The .410 000 round produced results similar to the .357SIG jhp and the 10mm fmj except that there were at least 2 holes in each jug. This week I will staple our standard IPSC silouette targets to a stake and we will shoot at it. I did not want to risk my PVC target stands today.

Overall we are pleased with the revolver. I plan to have it available for quick use at the front of the house. I have some .45 Colt jhp rounds on order. We will be continuing to test the revolver and the ammo. I will try at least one more brand of the .410 000 ammo before we settle on which to use.

Below are a few photos.

I'll provide more info as I get it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Thats a pretty sweet and interesting weapon there. I would love to spend a day out in the field with one sometime seeing what could be detered with both 45 colt and 410 shells. That has got to be a great snake gun/whatever may show up weapon.

Kepp us updated, Id like to see some target pictures.
    Fear No Evil.

Lead Moderator
    You didn't mention recoil. Is it about the same with the 410?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Have shot the longer bbl in stainless with the buckshot and #6's load. Sweet shootin weapon.

The Ribber grips do a great job of tameing the modest recoil of the .410 rds. Most people feel that a .410 will recoil more than it actually does anyway.

This would be a great replacement for the people that carry them centerfire pistols with the birdshot rds,for snake protection.

Congrats on the purchase. --------

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ View Post
    This would be a great replacement for the people that carry them centerfire pistols with the birdshot rds,for snake protection.
    That's what I was thinking. This one really would be a "snake charmer."
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Assistant Administrator
    Nice combo there George. Our house guns is a M66 Taurus, just stoked with 38 spl - which Bonnie finds a cinch to shoot.

I do tho like the versatility potential of your gun. Thx for the comments on it and some nice pics!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Nice pistol there. I think you've identified a new snake gun I need!

Nice write-up and pictures. Thanks!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

George, I was just looking through the 2006 Taurus catalog last night as I too am interested in this revolver. BTW, it's called the 45/410 not 44/410 and according to the catalog it is offered in
    2-1/2" and 6-1/2" barrel lengths. I'd be interested in knowing the penetration of the 000 buckshot .410 and it's use as a in home defense round.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    What a sweet weapon. I can see that being an awesome sidearm to carry with me at the deer lease (I hate rattlesnakes). Same question as rstickle - how was the recoil?
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Senior Moderator
    Wow! I like it! Is there any problem shooting shot through rifling?

VIP Member
    I'll try to answer all the questions in this one post.

rstickle & USPnTX: Recoil with the .410 rounds is negligible. The grips help take up what recoil there is. The .45 Colt has more, but really not that noticeable. I guess I didn't mention recoil simply because we didn't notice it.

mkeBob: I don't thing Taurus has really decided what to call it. I have seen it call 45/410 on their website, but currently they list it as "44 Ten". Sort of combining the two numbers. The part number on the box is 4410TKR-4B and it lists a 4" barrel. The website below lists a 3" and 6.5" barrel. The 3" which I have handled before really has a barrel between 2.5 and 2.75" in length. I really don't have anyway to determine penetration, but each time I shot the gallon jugs of water the pellets easily blew right through. This weekend when I do some silouette shooting I take some 5 gal. plastic paint buckets full of water and see what happens to them.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/gu....cfm?series=41

Tangle: There appears to be no problem with the 000 and the rifling. I have not fired any other type. RSSZ may be able to help us with that since he has fired some #6 through the 6.5" barrelled version.

I first learned of this gun from my wife's NRA magazine Woman’s Outlook. I think it was the March issue. They mentioned it in the article about new guns from different manufacturers and also had a short review else where in the mag. For the fun of it the model on the cover was carrying the 3" barrel version in a shoulder holster. You can only see the grips in that pic, but in one of the other two mentions it shows the holster.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    The 6.5",SS version that I got a chance to shoot up at the club a couple of months ago,was throwing patterns almost equivelent to the T/C's.

My observations were that it was a 15yd. small bird gun. I could see it bringing down close flying dove and quail. The the ranges that people use the .44 and .357 shot rds. at (usually #12 shot) you would have to really aim with the Taurus because of the tightness of pattern.

Remember also that if you can find them it will also shoot the older 2",.410's.

If I had this weapon my choice for snakes would be #6 shot. Id rather have bigger shot than a dinser pattern.

To my knowledge one can still find #4,#6,#7 1/2,and maybe #9, in the .410. Also the speciality loadings like buckshot. --------

An Interesting Weapon...

to say the least. Could work well with our Florida snakes. I have been looking at these...a little...
    Maybe one of these will be my next 'last gun'.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

vvvvvvvvery interesting ...

Not to be nosey (okay, to be nosey) how much was it?

I've been thinking of one of those.

Thanks,

Wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links