Gun background check

This is a discussion on Gun background check within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been offered a handgun to purchase, but would first like to check the serial number against a data-bank that would tell me whether or ...

Thread: Gun background check

Gun background check

I've been offered a handgun to purchase, but would first like to check the serial number against a data-bank that would tell me whether or not the gun was involved in a crime, is stolen, etc.

Do any of you know a site, or link, that I might go to check on a gun's 'history'.

I do not want to call the local police dept. and ask them, in essence, 'flagging' them to a potential problem.

(With caller-id available everywhere, it would be easy for them to know who is calling in the request, and I do not need the extra 'attention'.)

Thanks to all who respond;

Wes.
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Re. the police,if you ask the question ,you will get an answer. Even though you might not like it.

For me ...... I will not buy a weapon if the price is not at least close to the going rate. I will make a reasonable attempt to find out something about the weapon and/or seller. Other than that we as civilians(non LEO's) have no way that I know of to run a "10-29" on the weapon.

The most that can happen to us,if the systen cannot prove that we KNOWINGLY purchased a stolen weapon,is confiscate it.

I own a weapon that was used in a double homocide and believe me,that simply is not illegal.(this has all been cleared by the authorities)

Try you best to keep within the law. But remember the magical word is "intent".---------

Administrator
    Well, if it was your gun that was stolen and it was offered to somebody else for sale - wouldn't you want that "somebody" to make an attempt to have your stolen property returned to you?

For every stolen gun "out there" - there is a legal owner that gun was originally stolen from.

Just go to a FFL dealer and do a legal transfer and pay the modest fee.

If you do a legal transfer that will not call any extra attention to you as the buyer.

If a seller is not willing to do a legal sale/transfer - then I would ask myself why not?

You'll call much more attention to yourself (at some future point in time) if you purchase a hot or stolen handgun and you're in posession of it when you're stopped for any reason.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnesia Wes View Post
    I do not want to call the local police dept. and ask them, in essence, 'flagging' them to a potential problem.

(With caller-id available everywhere, it would be easy for them to know who is calling in the request, and I do not need the extra 'attention'.)
    Are you doing anything wrong or illegal??? If not, why would you feel this way? If you are not doing anything wrong, then no one is looking to cause you any problems.

As far as "flagging them to a potential problem", I would want to find out about a problem now NOT after I paid for and was in possession of an illegal gun.

Go to a dealer and have that FFL do the transfer. Most will only charge about $25 and it is money well spent. Or call your local BATFE office and ask an agent what they recommend.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Get the serial number from the gun BEFORE YOU BUY IT.

Take the number, make, model, caliber, etc to the police station. Tell them you want the serial number ran through NCIC. This is the National Crime Information Center. Any evidence that is reported stolen, from cars to TVs to guns should be in here and is LE-only accessable. If it doesn't show up here as stolen, there is a pretty good chance it isn't stolen. Then again, maybe it just wasn't reported stolen yet.

Not the best answer, but one that will give you a good deal of confidence.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

The firearm is already in the possession of a 'family' member.
    If it was stolen or used in a crime, I don't want it.
    I was just wondering if there was a quick, anonymous way, to check its history.
    Since there doesn't seem to be any way, I have passed on the offer.
    Thanks for all who responded.

Wes.
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

Links