SR9c light strikes

This is a discussion on SR9c light strikes within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I got a new SR9c this week and took it out yesterday for an initial run. I did clean the gun beforehand but I don't ...

Thread: SR9c light strikes

SR9c light strikes

I got a new SR9c this week and took it out yesterday for an initial run. I did clean the gun beforehand but I don't think I cleaned it properly. I didn't take out the striker mechanism and clean it and I used an all in one cleaner for the rest. I mistakenly put a bit more on after I had wiped everything off so I'm positive there was too much lube. I was also testing out my new LC9 so I only had enough time to get about 150 rounds through the SR9c.

So with that being said, I started with the 17 round magazine and the first shot was a light strike. I took it out and the rest of the clip was fine. I put the unfired round after the clip was finished and it fired. Then I shot the 10 round mag and reloaded both. I got one more light strike in the 17 round next while I was rapid firing. So both light strikes were within the first 50 rounds and I got around 100 more through with no problem.

So I'm wondering if I should be concerned at all. Knowing that the gun is brand new and cleaned improperly I really think those were the reasons. I could definitely tell a difference in the stiffness of the gun from 0 rounds to 150 rounds so I think it just needed a little break in and proper cleaning. I cleaned the pistol after I got home yesterday making sure to take out the striker mechanism and clean it properly as well as the rest of the parts and made sure not to overlube.

Also, does anyone know if the guide spring assembly comes apart?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Too much lubricant could be the problem. It might be the ammunition, though. What were you shooting?
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I was using mostly Winchester white box with some Federal and Tul Ammo thrown in. I was using only WWB at first though so IIRC both light strikes were with it. I should actually change the round count to about 180 because I forgot to mention the partial box of Tul in my first post. There were 35 left in the box and they all fired ok.

VIP Member
    My suggestion is to clean the gun, lubricate it properly and try a different brand of ammunition. I have had many, many light strikes with 9mm WWB. It is cheap and is readily available at WM. That is about the best to be said about it.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Take out the striker firing pin and clean the factory grease out of the striker channel. That's a common problem on the SR9c's. Mine was fine until about the 500 round count. I cleaned it and have had no problems for 2000+ rounds. I carry mine every day and have been very pleased with it.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    My suggestion is to clean the gun, lubricate it properly and try a different brand of ammunition. I have had many, many light strikes with 9mm WWB. It is cheap and is readily available at WM. That is about the best to be said about it.
    This is true as well. WWB has a tendency to have issues.

VIP Member
    Is it a light strike or a primer problem? Did you inspect the rounds that didn't fire the first time and compare the indentation from the firing pin with a round that fired? If it was a light strike, the indentation should be shallower than the indentation on the fired round.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The issues could be due to a light strike or a primer problem. I have had my SR9c for almost 2 years now. When I first got it, I did a field strip, including the striker assembly, cleaning and lube. I have put over 2000 rounds downrange with it, with no problems whatsoever. I shot UMC and Federal during the break-in period. Now it will eat any commercial round I feed it.There are plenty of stories about WWB. The folks at the Ruger forum routinely recommend a thorough cleaning of the pistol, including the striker assembly, prior to use. Check out the video at the Ruger company site about cleaning the striker assembly for pointers.

YMMV
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

PI9
    Hi!

Ruger is having a problem with the 17 round magazines, if you look at the top of your 17 round magazine that you have this problem with, it may look mashed where the slide goes across it. My good friend had the same thing happen to him last week with the 17 round magazine only. Took it back to his gun shop and they swapped out the mag for a new model mag that works fine. Its a known issue, so just contact Ruger or take it to your gun shop, its probably not your gun...just a bad magazine...thats the good news.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't looked at the magazine yet. I'll check that in a bit.

It was definitely a light strike. Comparing the round to a successful fire it was shallower.

I did completely strip it yesterday and do a thorough cleaning of the entire assembly, making sure to remove and clean the striker mechanism. I'm going to go back out in a little bit and put some more rounds through it. I'm planning to put at least another 100 rounds through. If there are no issues I'll feel confident it was either the WWB ammo or a combination of that and improper cleaning. I'll report back tonight.

Well I shot a good hundred rounds or so of WWB and Federal and had no issues. I'm fairly confident that it will go bang every time I pull the trigger from now on.

PI9
    Make sure you check that 17 round mag still...my friends had the same light strike issue and if you looked close at this mag the top was almost getting marred up because it was slightly too tall. Gun shop said its a very common problem, they are seeing a lot of them.

Glad you got to have some fun with it today and it was mostly positive!

Tim

I looked at the magazine and I don't notice and blemishes or marks. So far as I can tell it looks just like it did out of the box.

Another question though, does anyone know if the recoil spring assembly comes apart? The manual doesn't show.

Links