Rust issue with LCP

Rust issue with LCP

This is a discussion on Rust issue with LCP within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ive been carrying my LCP in a leather IWB holster I bought at Academy. Everything was fine until I pulled the gun out of my ...

Thread: Rust issue with LCP

Rust issue with LCP

Ive been carrying my LCP in a leather IWB holster I bought at Academy. Everything was fine until I pulled the gun out of my holster one day and noticed the side of my slide that was closer to my body had rust on down it. 2 different times I have extensively cleaned it with solvent and then oiled the **** out of it, but now every time I carry it the rust comes back. Any suggestions on how to get this to stop? Do I need to buy a new holster?

The finish needs to be replaced, or the rust will come back.

Is your LCP blued? If so, you can do a home reblue job - it won't look perfect, but it will help. A bit of fine steel wool (finest that will take off any residual rust), then degrease and clean according to the bottle instructions. The stuff is a bit nasty, so use gloves, and it's not the same as a good factory blue.

If it's got a "parkerized"-like finish, I've never tried this on a firearm, but you might consider is rust converter. You can get it at a hardware or auto parts store. It will convert rust to a black oxide.

VIP Member
    My slide rusted too (side against my leg). I pocket carry mine in a non-leather cheap Uncle Mikes. It's in my pocket nearly everyday in rough conditions. Back when they had the LCP safety-related recall, I sent it in with a note complaining about the rusted slide also. I don't know if they did something special, or put on a new slide that had been processed differently or what, but I am not having the rust problems I did have.

BTW keep those LCP's clean of the pocket lint, dust, grime etc. THEY ARE NOT VERY RELIABLE WHEN DIRTY. I've challenged mine twice letting it get over-dirty and it caused me trouble both times. I've been meaning to start a thread about that, but just haven't had the time.
    Gain a 2A vote, take a fence-sitter shooting.

could it be because of the cheap leather used for the holster? I know i sweat a lot, im a big guy and live in TX so there is no getting around that, but I would like to avoid this from happening with my other guns.

moisture in not a friend of steel. wipe the gun down every night and oil the rig on the inside with some leather oil or saddle soap to displace the moisture

VIP Member
    I think it was QKshooter that turned me on to Renaissance Wax.

My LCP has a good bit of bare metal exposed from the blueing rubbing off from years of carry, and has never had a spot of rust. I polish up the metal on every firearm with this about twice a year. Heck, even my rust-bucket PF9 has resisted corrosion since I started using this.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Not sure if it is because of the holster or not, but I know that leather attracts moisture, that's why you aren't supposed to leave the handgun in a leather holster when you're not carrying it.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I have a couple of Sig 220's,they will rust just talking about them,I use Barricade on them and "Wollaa" no more rust.Even in the safe with a humidifier they still rust from touching till I used the Barricade.JMTCW

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links