Rust issue with LCP

This is a discussion on Rust issue with LCP within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ive been carrying my LCP in a leather IWB holster I bought at Academy. Everything was fine until I pulled the gun out of my ...

Thread: Rust issue with LCP

Rust issue with LCP

Ive been carrying my LCP in a leather IWB holster I bought at Academy. Everything was fine until I pulled the gun out of my holster one day and noticed the side of my slide that was closer to my body had rust on down it. 2 different times I have extensively cleaned it with solvent and then oiled the **** out of it, but now every time I carry it the rust comes back. Any suggestions on how to get this to stop? Do I need to buy a new holster?

2. Remove Ads

The finish needs to be replaced, or the rust will come back.

Is your LCP blued? If so, you can do a home reblue job - it won't look perfect, but it will help. A bit of fine steel wool (finest that will take off any residual rust), then degrease and clean according to the bottle instructions. The stuff is a bit nasty, so use gloves, and it's not the same as a good factory blue.

If it's got a "parkerized"-like finish, I've never tried this on a firearm, but you might consider is rust converter. You can get it at a hardware or auto parts store. It will convert rust to a black oxide.

VIP Member
    My slide rusted too (side against my leg). I pocket carry mine in a non-leather cheap Uncle Mikes. It's in my pocket nearly everyday in rough conditions. Back when they had the LCP safety-related recall, I sent it in with a note complaining about the rusted slide also. I don't know if they did something special, or put on a new slide that had been processed differently or what, but I am not having the rust problems I did have.

BTW keep those LCP's clean of the pocket lint, dust, grime etc. THEY ARE NOT VERY RELIABLE WHEN DIRTY. I've challenged mine twice letting it get over-dirty and it caused me trouble both times. I've been meaning to start a thread about that, but just haven't had the time.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

could it be because of the cheap leather used for the holster? I know i sweat a lot, im a big guy and live in TX so there is no getting around that, but I would like to avoid this from happening with my other guns.

moisture in not a friend of steel. wipe the gun down every night and oil the rig on the inside with some leather oil or saddle soap to displace the moisture

VIP Member
    I think it was QKshooter that turned me on to Renaissance Wax.

My LCP has a good bit of bare metal exposed from the blueing rubbing off from years of carry, and has never had a spot of rust. I polish up the metal on every firearm with this about twice a year. Heck, even my rust-bucket PF9 has resisted corrosion since I started using this.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Not sure if it is because of the holster or not, but I know that leather attracts moisture, that's why you aren't supposed to leave the handgun in a leather holster when you're not carrying it.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

I have a couple of Sig 220's,they will rust just talking about them,I use Barricade on them and "Wollaa" no more rust.Even in the safe with a humidifier they still rust from touching till I used the Barricade.JMTCW

Links