How Many Of You Practice With One Caliber.. But Carry Something Different?

How Many Of You Practice With One Caliber.. But Carry Something Different?

This is a discussion on How Many Of You Practice With One Caliber.. But Carry Something Different? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'll ask my question again.. "How Many Of You Practice With One Caliber.. But Carry Something Different?" Am I the only one who does ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How Many Of You Practice With One Caliber.. But Carry Something Different?

Question How Many Of You Practice With One Caliber.. But Carry Something Different?

So I'll ask my question again..

"How Many Of You Practice With One Caliber.. But Carry Something Different?"

Am I the only one who does so? I have several different caliber handguns/sidearms.. two of which are my FireStar M40 and my wife's pre-1968 gun ban Beretta 70S in .22 LR. I'll usually practice with the 70S and run through a few hundred rounds before I switch over to my .40, which at that time I'll shoot a box of 50 or so just to tune myself back into the larger caliber.

Obviously the advantage to this is the cost of .22's (@ approx $20 per brick of 500 for training) against the more expensive .40's (@ approx $15 for a box of 50). For me, this scenario works great.. and saves me a lot of money $$$ to boot.

What say you?

FireStar M40

Sounds like a good plan to me. As long as you are not ignoring your carry caliber practice completely, and run enough through to be confident in your abilities with it, I think you're fine. I have lots of different guns, calibers, makes, models, etc. so I practice with a lot of variety. I have a number of .22s and my old H&R 922 really helped my DA snubbie practice a lot.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

I shoot my .22 less than my CCW's. I'll run a few mag load's through my .22 and focus mainly on my CCW a 1911 .45. I also run a few cylinder load's through the snubby to stay intune with the trigger.
    Remember, Life is not like a box of chocolate's.. It's more like a jalapeno pepper, because what you decide upon today can really burn your butt tomorrow..

If I don't practice with it, I dont carry it. Period.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FireStar M40 View Post
    So I'll ask my question again..

"How Many Of You Practice With One Caliber.. But Carry Something Different?"

Am I the only one who does so? I have several different caliber handguns/sidearms.. two of which are my FireStar M40 and my wife's pre-1968 gun ban Beretta 70S in .22 LR. I'll usually practice with the 70S and run through a few hundred rounds before I switch over to my .40, which at that time I'll shoot a box of 50 or so just to tune myself back into the larger caliber.

Obviously the advantage to this is the cost of .22's (@ approx $20 per brick of 500 for training) against the more expensive .40's (@ approx $15 for a box of 50). For me, this scenario works great.. and saves me a lot of money $$$ to boot.

What say you?

FireStar M40
    Shooting .22's is fun. Shooting 357Sig is a lot of fun. Get my drift?

VIP Member
    Sure nothing wrong with it. Practice is practice whether it be a .22 or .45.

I have complete rifles/pistols and .22 conversions for a lot of my guns and use them often when home can't beat them.

I also carry more than one type of handgun depending on what I am doing that day. I train with multiple weapons and simply take a moment to wire my head and butt together before leaving the house.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Practice with whatever caliber ya like. Good for fundamentals. But if practicing draw or weapon specific task such as malfunctions, quick reloads, should use your EDC or similiar. i.e I carry a P228. I practice with that and Berreta Neos, Mark III Hunter. But for concealed draw and gun specific I use my EDC.

BTW: Don't forget you can practice a lot of that at home with dry fire

Distinguished Member Array miller_man's Avatar
    I practice once a week or atleast every other with my EDC. I really haven't had much time or opportunities to just go plinking but take my others when I do. I'd say I'm about 70/30% - carry/plinking. But practice so far is just at a indoor range. Really need to go somewhere and practice real SD scenarios.

Agree 100% on dryfire practice at home. Starting to add that in a couple nights a week at the house. Very useful and easy!
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    No problem practicing with the .22 for fundamentals, and then switching back to your carry caliber to finish off the session. I wouldn't shoot only the .22 and say "I'm good to go" though.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My wife and I shoot a variety of caliber from .22 to .357 magnum. Our carry caliber(s) would be .357 magnum, .38spl, 9mm and .380. We don't fire hundreds of rounds of the higher caliber (s) but enough to stay familiar with how they shoot.

However the .22 is less expensive to shoot and we do a lot more of it just to get used to the idea of shooting and reloading, acquiring the target, etc. We do not shoot one caliber and carry others, no point in that whatsoever.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    I actually shoot what I carry (gun-wise). The ammo will be mostly cheap Walmart stuff, and then I'll do a mag or two of carry rounds that are coming out of the setback rotation.

Then, (since my son is usually with me) we'll also go through a brick of .22's just for fun.

I shoot a variety of guns and calibers when I go to the range one of which is my EDC. I do not have conversion kits to fire .22 out of my EDC. I do practice with my EDC with 124 gr ammo but carry 124 gr +p in my EDC.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I carry a .40 and as it's the only handgun I own it's also what I practice with. I'm thinking about going to a pawn shop and looking for a cheap namebrand .22 for the typical reason of saving on ammo costs. If I do that I'll still shoot the .40 at the range, just not nearly as much. I'm trying to figure out how much cheaper ammo I'd have to shoot to save the money it would take to buy the gun.

VIP Member
    I am guilty.... I do practice with my EDC but spend more rounds down range with other cals.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Started shooting a 22 LR to get good fundamentals, but now I only shoot my carry gun. Sold the 22 a couple of years ago. wish I didn't because there are times my trigger control gets sloppy between practice sessions and I wish I could shoot the 22 to get back to where I need to be

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links