Hangfire

This is a discussion on Hangfire within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm just curious as to whether anyone has heard of or encountered an issue like this... A hangfire: a delay between when the primer is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Hangfire

Hangfire

I'm just curious as to whether anyone has heard of or encountered an issue like this... A hangfire: a delay between when the primer is activated and the powered is ignited, propelling the projectile. There is a significant danger when encountering such a malfunction but imagine for a moment, running into one of these little gems while rapid firing a revolver. I would hope, given a moment to ponder, anyone with atleast a rudimentary understanding of firearms could see what I'm getting at.
    I was just curious if any of you have heard of or experienced such a malfunction.

2. Remove Ads

sgb
    Back in the early 80's I use to shoot a lot .38 reloads and experienced two hangfires. Never with factory fresh ammo.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

A hangfire while shooting a revolver shouldn't cause any more problems than a semi-auto. When it doesn't go BANG you should stop shooting and figure out what's up.
    tcox4freedom and bmcgilvray like this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I had a few out of a brick of .22 several years ago. It wasn't a huge delay, but it wasn't instantaneous like it should have been. It was out of a bolt action, so going too fast wasn't an issue.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    A hangfire while shooting a revolver shouldn't cause any more problems than a semi-auto. When it doesn't go BANG you should stop shooting and figure out what's up.
    When a semi experiences one during rapid fire, squeezing off the next round is an impossibility. Not so with a revolver. Trying to get out six quick and having a hangfire on number five is going to be a tough act to stop.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    hangfire?

Do you mean something like this? (jk)

This guy needs to get on his knees & thank God.

I can see where your going with this. Mostly a semi-auto guy myself, but just thinking if you experience a miss fire,hangfire in a revolver while rapid firing,wouldn't the cylinder have turned and if this miss fire turns out to be a hang fire,the danger would be in blowing fragments of the casing out of the gap at the rear,.Don't think the bullet would be a problem if it didn't fragment, and probably wouldn't, it just wouldn't exit with enough force. Could happen, Good factory ammo would put the odds in your favor of it not happening. Iv'e seen misfires happen with reloads and rimfire ammo before,but not with good factory center fire ammo.

I've experienced a handful of hangfire situations, where the primer fired with a brief delay. Though, on a couple occasions it was up to several seconds after the strike. I had been trained to keep it pointed down-range for a decent length of time, but on a couple occasions it did catch me by surprise as I had begun to relax and presume it couldn't fire if it hadn't already (by that time). Am still thankful for the training, which had been beaten into me by a safety "freak" who knew what he was talking about. Thanks to him, the few times it did occur, it safely occurred. IIRC, it was all on semi-auto pistols, not on revolvers.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    hangfire?

The self-cleaning oven almost got one.

Have never seen one in person. Learned about them in training. As I follow the rules (and don't use a revolver) I don't expect one to be an issue. I'd more concerned with squibs than hangfires.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Back in the 70's I was at a place where the pistol range was right next to a shot gun use area. I was watching two guys shoot clays. One was on the bed of a pickup truck and the other on the ground. The guy on the ground's gun went "click". He looked puzzled and passed the shotgun up to his buddy in the truck. Just as the muzzle of the gun cleared the man in the truck's head (Pointed skyward) it fired. Gun flew out of his hand to the ground. Lucky guy that day.

the Russian made ammo and some Israeli stuff too… bad primers and .22 seem to have most of the problems

Absolutely! Back in the day of Paul Harvey's daily "Rest of the Story" stories, there was a classic story told by Paul harvey of a burglar stealing a WWII era hand gun & ammo from a residence. Hand gun model was not specified, but picturing the likelyhood of a 1911. He immediately proceeded to his nearest merchant, confronted the clerk with the gun, pulled the trigger, obviously with every intent to shoot & kill, only to hear "click".

Yes, you got it ... in an attempt to figure out why there was no "bang", he looked down the barrel, only to see the delayed "bang" up close & personal. I seriously doubt there was sufficient time for his life to flash before his eyes, as his demise was immediate.

You just couldn't make up a better case of "poetic justice" than this.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    hangfire?

That's the kind of stupid God, money, and time just can't fix.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

seems like a good reason to stick with SA pistols for stressful situations.

I've encountered a few over the years, always with old ammunition, poorly stored.

Had one last summer when this batch of five old orphan rounds were given me. Rather than toss them as I should have I determined to chronograph them. All were 158 grain lead round nose factory loads from two different brands and manufactured prior to World War II. Two fired normally, two failed to fire, and one exhibited a classic hang-fire. It gave a good long "hang" too, a pffffsssst... and the bullet launched, barely clearing the second sky screen of the chronograph, and striking the ground about 50 yards in front of me. The chronograph registered a "no-read." I was conducting the test on the club 100 yard rifle range and all the other .38 Special loads tested that day were striking on or around a rough target I had fixed at 100 yards as an aiming reference. The bullet gave the impression of having about the same velocity as if it had been launched from a wrist rocket sling shot.

On an occasion or two a hang-fire has resulted in a bullet stuck in a bore which is no problem to remove. It will be a problem if a second full-powered round is sent after it.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links