What if any metal filler can take cold blue?

This is a discussion on What if any metal filler can take cold blue? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got a bolt from an old .22 rifle that has a deep pit in the "ball" of the bolt handle. Bought it used. I'm ...

Thread: What if any metal filler can take cold blue?

Question What if any metal filler can take cold blue?

I've got a bolt from an old .22 rifle that has a deep pit in the "ball" of the bolt handle. Bought it used. I'm re-blueing it to remedy this as its purely cosmetic. Is there anything I can fill it with that will take cold blue? Or does it need a spot weld?
    RIP Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

I'd say skip the filler. Just get it as smooth as you can with progressively finer silicon carbide paper, then cold blue it. Any filler or weld will take the cold blue differently than the base metal, which will work against your attempt to improve the appearance.

Think of it as a mark of experience in your gun's life.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

the epoxy won’t take the bluing

JB weld?

gasmitty,
    If it were in a different spot I'd agree. But its right on top , deep and unsightly. Bought it off ebay and I did see the rust spot then. Just figured I'd sand, polish on buffing wheel and reblue. If I sanded this smooth it'd be out of round. Its already a small bolt knob. Wish I could post a picture.I dont know if its threaded on(Remington), if so I could replace it. Fixing it up for my son and I got this OCD thing about attention to detail...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    If you get some weld metal in there and dress it down flush - the color of the weld won't match but, it will still look better than a pit.

or....You could just re-shape the knob and change the entire bolt knob configuration from a round ball to a flattened ball. That would look great.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

QKshooter,
    thanx, I'll look for an example. Thought I could replace with a larger knob but this does not look threaded on which requires a different approach. I have never welded anything before...
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    QKshooter,
    thanx, I'll look for an example. Thought I could replace with a larger knob but this does not look threaded on which requires a different approach. I have never welded anything before...
    I'm sure if you ask around either a friend knows somebody with a welder,or run it by a weld shop and the guy would probably fill it in for a couple of bucks,then you could file/grind and shape it then reblue it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yep, find a guy with a mig/tig welder to fill in the spot, then polish and re-blue. The bluing might be dark enough to make the change in base metal and weld-dot less obvious than the pit is. And if that doesn't work, look into the DIY paint-like finishes that Brownells sells.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

thanx guys. The weld seems to be the best option. Probably need to look into buying some welding equipment and learning how to do this for myself in the future.
    RIP Jeff Cooper

Administrator

You could also send the gun out to a "smith" and have the bolt knob hand checkered. That would look great as a nice "custom touch" and you could have that done for less than what you would pay for welding equipment. Just another option to think about.

Actually the "web-found" PIC above is not really even a good job but, just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Other metals, particularly white metals, do react predictably to seleneous acid. I've had cool results with high nickel bronze. That being said other metal fillers can be experimented with, but you won't get a match to steel. (Nickel Solder comes to mind... a couple thousand degrees lower working temperature than medium steel) Good luck!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

spot weld, file finish, polish & then apply a blackening solution. The stuff is like a mild acid and blackens surfaces of steel. Available at Eastwood.Com

Links