Ruger SR9C trouble

Ruger SR9C trouble

This is a discussion on Ruger SR9C trouble within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today I was at the range and shot another flawless 100 rds out of my S&W9C. However the man next to me got my attention ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By babarock
  • 1 Post By Smitty901

Thread: Ruger SR9C trouble

Ruger SR9C trouble

Today I was at the range and shot another flawless 100 rds out of my S&W9C. However the man next to me got my attention he was messing with his brand new out of the box Ruger Sr9c. The gun would chamber a round and sometimes it would fire and would not fire the second round that's if you got it to fire the first one at all. The trigger would go all the way back without any resistance. I don't know anything about this weapon. It looked like the slide was seated all the way forward but wasn't resetting the striker but idk. Any ideas cause now I'm curious. Can't help to feel bad for this guy looking forward to shooting his new gun now has to go through the hassle of cs. Interestingly I purchased a weapon from the same store great guys never a problem.
    Last edited by AustinS; June 2nd, 2012 at 10:01 PM.

PI9
    Was he shooting a 17 round magazine?

Tim

The firing pin/striker channel needs to be taken apart and cleaned! It's pretty ugly with grease from the factory. After 100 rounds through mine, it was pretty messy! I lube that area very sparingly....
    Tony

When he chambered the first round, how was he releasing the slide? Was he riding it home, thumbing the slide release, or slingshotting it? Riding the slide to gently return the slide forward will usually result in the second round jamming.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Idk he loaded it normal him and the gunsmith both if the first shot went off at all it never fired a second

A good cleaning is recommended when fresh out of box. I did this with my SR9C and had zero issues. With that having been said, I'd give Ruger a call. All manufacturers have the possibility of letting a bad one slip out. If that's the case the store and Ruger should make it right.
    MASSIVE likes this.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Problems?

Wow that's kinda crazy, I sent about 300 rounds through the SR9c flawlessly out the box. I agree with the above said, it was probably too gunked up from factory. I would have to assume mine didn't because some may receive more (lubricant) than others. I recently shot a few different ones as well, both kel tec and glock. all I can say is I was displeased to say the least, the Ruger SR9c is by far the most comfortable 9mm I've had the pleasure of shooting, givin it's size. Overall I would tell anyone it's a good buy, good price, comfort and reliability. Dang, Ruger should have me on payroll haha
    Last edited by Debonair; July 8th, 2012 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Spelling error

I bought my SR9C and have sent 450 rounds through it without a problem. It is a comfortable fit for me and my wife. She liked it enough that we now have "His and Hers" 9C's. The onlly time I get to claim hers is when it needs cleaning. I cleaned both before firing the first time so that may have helped. Accurate out of the box. Now looking for a good IWB holster for me.

Sounds like a dead trigger. He should look at his trigger return spring and trigger bar. All of the internal parts are very similar to a Glock.

Distinguished Member
    Several hundred rounds fired through my SR9c. Have had zero problems. A good cleaning may solve the problem, as some have already stated.

Clean the packing lube out of the striker channel. Also, check to make sure the frame pin behind the trigger isn't walking out.

I wonder if he may have dry-fired it without a mag in it. It's possible to damage the striker pin doing that.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Like others have said, Ruger slaps the gun full of grease from the factory. I gave my SR9c a good cleaning when I first got it. I have close to 1500 rounds through it. No FTF/FTE at all. Hopefully it is nothing more serious than that. It really is a great gun. If it is defective, Ruger will make good on it.

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk 2

I have well over 3000 rounds thru mine no problems at all.

They do a well job of over lube everything from the factory - I did a good cleaning before going to the range the first time never a problem. most rounds were my reloads with lead cast bullets

Clean it right then enjoy. Burnt a lot of flawless round through mine the SR9C is a fine weapon
    MASSIVE likes this.

Sponsored Links