Shot a Ruger SR1911 and Sig Sauer 1911 at lunch today

This is a discussion on Shot a Ruger SR1911 and Sig Sauer 1911 at lunch today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My LGS and range are right down the street from my office so I usually take along a coworker once a week on our lunch ...

Thread: Shot a Ruger SR1911 and Sig Sauer 1911 at lunch today

Shot a Ruger SR1911 and Sig Sauer 1911 at lunch today

My LGS and range are right down the street from my office so I usually take along a coworker once a week on our lunch break.

Today we shot a Ruger SR1911 and a Sig Sauer 1911. They were range guns. I usually shoot my Glock 23 or LC9 but wanted to try something different today. I first learned how to shoot a Colt 1911 .45 as a kid and have always wanted one.

We shot the Ruger first. I was impressed with the way it handled and the accuracy. It lacked night sights and frontstrap checkering.

Next up was the Sig Sauer. The finish and accuracy were better than the Ruger, IMO. It also had night sights and frontstrap checkering (as well as a higher price tag). My coworker liked the Sig Sauer 1911 better as well.

This group was shot at 25 yards one-handed with the Sig.

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Nice shooting! I'd take either one, if I could afford them.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Thanks! My next gun purchase will be a 1911.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    i've a Sig C3 that has been a pleasure to own and though it has a tight chamber
    it has no flaws. your target is typical Sig and with target ammo it will shrink to 1.5"
    now you have to get one...

oh, the top of the slide is not as rounded as a traditional 1911 so fitted holsters do not work well, if at all.
    more Sig 1911 specific holsters are becoming available now.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I couldn't believe my eyes when I say the title of this thread. I wish that I had been able to initially shoot both of these great pistols together, prior to individual purchase. I own both pistols. I picked up the Sig 1911 XO about six months ago, it is a beauty and a joy to shoot. Last month I was finally able to find a Ruger SR1911 in stock during a Cabela's store grand opening last month. It is also a beauty and a joy to shot. Yes, the Sig cost more, and it shows in some nice touches such as the front strap checkering. However, the Ruger isn't a slouch either, I like the Novak sights. Both of them are tack drivers, balanced and comfortable. Which one do I prefer...easy answer... the one that is currently in my hand.....lol.. I like both of them, for different reasons.

Hmmm... will I get another 1911?? That is quite likely, I have my eyes on a Colt officer's model...if the deal is reasonable.

YMMV.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have been itching to buy a 1911 but have suspended firearms purchases while I pay down debt. One of the reasons I paid for a range membership is so that I can shoot the range guns. They also have a $2600 Nighthawk Custom 1911 that I have shot.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    I'm really starting to look at the new Ruger as a next sidearm purchase. I'm really liking what I'm hearing/reading about them.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Now that is a good lunch break, and the shooting was awfully good at 25 yds for guns you'd never handled. I like the Sig 1911s, but then there probably isn't a 1911 that I don't like! You might as well break the bank and go for the Nighthawk if it hasn't been too abused.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Quote Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
    Now that is a good lunch break, and the shooting was awfully good at 25 yds for guns you'd never handled. I like the Sig 1911s, but then there probably isn't a 1911 that I don't like! You might as well break the bank and go for the Nighthawk if it hasn't been too abused.
    Thanks, FLSlim.

I try to go once a week, usually on Fridays. Two of the guys in my department like to shoot so they take turns going with me. It helps that the range is right down the street from the office. After the first time I took one of them with me, he posted pictures of our fun on Facebook. The following week our company put out a "no weapons" policy. We can't even take pocket knives to work anymore.

A Nighthawk isn't going to be in my budget unless I win the lottery. My first 1911 will most likely be a RIA, SA, or Ruger. I got divorced last year and I have a ton of debt to pay off first. For now, I will just have to shoot the range guns when I want to shoot something other than my Glock 23 or LC9.

Buy a Ruger Sr1911 you get a lot more weapon than you pay for.
    Value for dollars spent in that SR1911

Distinguished Member
    I've had the SR1911 on my list for quite some time now. Haven't had the money to do it, given other things that needed to be done prior. I've shot one too (someone at the range had one and let me take a couple of shots).

I was so depressed yesterday as I saw someone, on our "local" gun forum in the classifieds, had one they were selling for $600.
    EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Links