Desert Eagle 44 Mag

This is a discussion on Desert Eagle 44 Mag within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do they still make the Desert Eagle 44 Mag and if so, has anyone ever shot it? Sorry, this might not be the most appropriate ...

Thread: Desert Eagle 44 Mag

Desert Eagle 44 Mag

Do they still make the Desert Eagle 44 Mag and if so, has anyone ever shot it? Sorry, this might not be the most appropriate forum for the question, should have put it in General Gun discussion
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Still make 'em. Shot a friends once (.50 AE) ...not necessarily the most practical hand cannon I have ever seen. But it was a blast to fire.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Assistant Administrator
    No sweat - moved it over - best here I think.

AFAIK all the DE's are still available.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I've shot a .50AE also. If you live in bear country, it could be practical. It weighs more than some .30 bore rifles, though!

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Yes, the DE is still made in .44Mag. by Magnum Research,now in Saco,Maine. The older models(which is the one that I have) were made in Israel by Israel Military Industries(IMI).

All the models come with a 6" bbl, but an aftermarket (OEM) bbl can be had in 10"(IIRC).They origionally came in .357,.41,and .44. Some bbls were produced in the .440CorBon (.50 A&E necked down to .429")chambering also. Now,of course they are also chambered in .50 A&E.

I have put hundreds of rds. thru my weapon,in the 16(or so)years that I have had it, without changing any parts(springs,etc.) or without a single FTF or FTE. I have put aftermarket sights and a Hogue grip on mine.

The DE's will shoot any .44 mag loading just as long as it is a simi to very HOT(!) load. Heavier bullet the better.The recoil spring on the DE's is VERY strong/stiff. I have shot some very high power handloads thru mine and seems that the stiffer the load the better the accuracy.

I feel that nothing except jacketed bullets should be fired thru the weapon since it is gas operated. The gas port in the bbl is in a strange place though. In the chamber where the bullet would be and at the 7 o'clock position. Some I have talked to say since the port is located there, one could fire hardcast thru the gun, but I have not tried this.

The people that have shot my weapon have all commented on the lack of recoil. Probably due to the action and the overall weight of the weapon.

My weapon with 8+1 of my 300gr. XTP loads weighs in at 73oz's.

My weapon has killed moose,black bear,bunches of deer,coyotes,and even a horse(with owners permission). ------

Compared to a .44 mag revolver the .44 mag in a Desert Eagle is downright tame.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Senior Moderator
    I've shot the .50AE and that thing pounded my trigger finger with the front of the trigger guard. After a magazine full, my trigger finger was numb. It wasnt just me either, it was everyone at the club that shot it. It wastn that it recoiled hard, its just that it all came back on your finger. I guess that none of knew how to shoot it...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Yeah, like Brian said. I have a Super Blackhawk w/ 7.5" bbl and those same 300gr. XTP loads are pretty brutal.

Also, let me add, that the DE's will not function if you "limp wrist".-------

My friend that owned it was loading Barnes 325s to 1300 fps. (My 9mm Corbon 115 gr load's velocity ! )In "getting there", one of his loads set a B27 on fire, at 25 yards. Another gave the gorgeous green "Dragon tail", that my dad had only seen from 5" battleship guns (BB62).

There are "bigger" handcanons, but the DE is pretty darn unique.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Still made, easy to shoot because of the gas operation and weight, likes hot loads (will stovepipe on weak loads), surprisingly accurate. I've shot a friend's, he has both the 44mag and 50 AE barrels, both are a gas to shoot.

i have a .44mag DE. I sometimes ccw with it. don't need a holster fits perfect in my pants on my right hip.( I wear baggy clothes) I can move around just fine when it is concealed. Very accurate, low recoil, I just get tired of shooting it after a box. My hand starts to hurt.

Links